Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National College Equivalence Examination
Why not?
College Degrees By Examination: The National College Equivalence Test (NCEE) (forbes.com)
It would do at least three things -none of them particularly undesirable, in my view.

(1) It would put a serious dent in the gigantic, rapacious money-sucking mill that fuels traditional (and online) universities. I have no problem with that.

(2) It would save a number of people considerable time and money , if they were not required to spend 4 years + of their lives in study halls etc. or thousands of dollars and much time online. Offset of course, to some extent, by the time taken to learn (by what method?) what they need to know and do for the "NCEE" or whatever it finally gets called.

(3) It would spawn many exam-prep programs - at various cost levels - tailored to achieving success in this particular test. Just like those for the present GED, Tech Certifications and graduate exams, LSAT etc. Might be a good business opportunity. I see nothing wrong there.

The only really controversial issue I see is that a large number of people might ponder the old question: "If a considerably increased proportion of people were to have one, what's a Bachelor's degree worth then? Is it the same as a HS diploma used to be? Or even less? "

Valid question - and I'm not sure of the answer - but not a reason to say "no" to progress. I think it's coming. And I'm fine with it. But I'm 78. If I had just laid down a bundle, or assumed debt to enter college, or were about to do so -- I might think differently. People who are well beyond traditional college age and are still paying crushing student loans might resent this new way of qualifying for a degree as well -- and not without justification.
(10-16-2021, 12:48 AM)Johann Wrote: Valid question - and I'm not sure of the answer - but not a reason to say "no" to progress. I think it's coming. And I'm fine with it. But I'm 78. If I had just laid down a bundle, or assumed debt to enter college, or were about to do so -- I might think differently. People who are well beyond traditional college age and are still paying crushing student loans might resent this new way of qualifying for a degree as well -- and not without justification.

I have a massive amount of student loans from my various degrees and attempts at college in my younger years. Sure I wish UMPI's YourPace existed back then, but I also know I would have failed at that then too because I wasn't ready for the program. Testing out of a degree? Why not? Testing isn't for everyone either. Many people would succeed. Just as many people would fail. I am not someone who begrudges how someone paid for their degree or if other generations don't end up with the massive student loan debt I'm saddled with. I wouldn't wish the student loan debt on anyone! I really hope the government creates some sort of relief for it as they're the ones who caused this to begin with. Our education system needs a major overhaul. Programs like the Big 3, UMPI, and WGU show that there are other ways to earn a degree. Hopefully, this continues to open new doors.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jsd, rachel83az
I'm all for it. I mean, I already see the Pierpont BOG AAS as this, and I think that's how it's marketed. We're always saying on this board that most of these degrees are useful to check the boxes. I say bring it on.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I don't think three hours for general education subjects and one hour for the major would be sufficient. Maybe if more colleges awarded credits for them, the SAT subject tests and the eliminated areas of study for the GRE subject tests would still be around. I thought I saw somewhere that ACT used to have college-level subject tests. For general education, I think CLEP, DSST, AP, IB, and the Cambridge exams offer more than enough options. Uexcel is also promoted to non-Excelsior students.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • MNomadic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 311 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 189 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor