Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment.
(08-25-2020, 05:08 PM)eLearner Wrote: That's not what's happening. You've gone wild, lol. Wow.

On the other board the term "NA rage" (for those driven to explosion or emotional breakdown over their opposition to national accreditation) was coined for just this kind of behavior, lol.

Having some fun. No need to take things too seriously. Most are here to help each other out.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Pssst is there really a free one with app with only commitment 5 hours of ads per month? If so, I am in!!!

Sent from my LG-SP200 using DegreeForum.net mobile app
[-] The following 2 users Like Lacedonia4's post:
  • dfrecore, rachel83az
(08-25-2020, 06:58 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Pssst is there really a free one with app with only commitment 5 hours of ads per month? If so, I am in!!!

Sent from my LG-SP200 using DegreeForum.net mobile app

Believe it or not, there was. Sort of. 

WEU (World Education University) was a school that offered free degree programs with ad support in order to pay for it all. It doesn't appear to have worked, site has been down for a while, but I did see the school post a job listing for a course creator back in November on Flexjobs.
RA vs NA can matter for immigration/moving to another country, in some cases.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikachu's post:
  • rachel83az
(01-27-2021, 08:05 AM)Pikachu Wrote: RA vs NA can matter for immigration/moving to another country, in some cases.

Absolutely! In Germany, Anabin won't evaluate any degree that is not RA. So a degree that is NA wouldn't be considered a "real" degree for the purposes of immigration. I think the US is the same way.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-27-2021, 08:34 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 08:05 AM)Pikachu Wrote: RA vs NA can matter for immigration/moving to another country, in some cases.

Absolutely! In Germany, Anabin won't evaluate any degree that is not RA. So a degree that is NA wouldn't be considered a "real" degree for the purposes of immigration. I think the US is the same way.

Meanwhile, a relative of mine who's a teacher was told he had to get a master's to get tenure. They didn't care where it was from or what it was in, it just had to be a master's. This was back in the mid-'00s, when the diploma mills were thriving. So he ended up getting it at Ashford, which at the time was, well... PEAK ASHFORD. They didn't care. He got his raise and his tenure, even though the degree wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. And he still lords it over the rest of us that he has a master's.  Dodgy
(01-27-2021, 09:15 AM)monchevy Wrote: And he still lords it over the rest of us that he has a master's.  Dodgy

Sounds like it's time to get a Master's degree of your own. Big Grin
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-27-2021, 09:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 09:15 AM)monchevy Wrote: And he still lords it over the rest of us that he has a master's.  Dodgy

Sounds like it's time to get a Master's degree of your own.  Big Grin

Ha, I'm 57 and only just started my bachelor's in mid-June!!! But I have 75 credits so far, which isn't too bad for 7 months. So I'm halfway through my junior year!! Carrying school on top of a FT job and three side gigs is exhausting. Sometimes I think I won't make it.

That Amberton MA in Professional Development is looking awfully tasty, though...  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • rachel83az
Let's not forget that Anabin also had a problem (and still has some reservations) with WGU, a regionally accredited non-profit school, as well as a number of other regionally accredited non-profit schools that here in the U.S. are deemed to be either well-regarded or at least acceptable. Think about this: they have reservations about Western Governors University but never had any about Ashford University, one of the notoriously-known worst schools of all time.

I've learned that somewhere in the world someone will have a problem with your degree almost no matter where you get it from. It's not worth it to get caught up in a million scenarios especially scenarios that are internationally-based unless you plan on living and working outside the USA which most people in the U.S. will never do. Research and go with the reputable school you can afford that offers you what you need and let everyone else go nuts with what-ifs.

(01-27-2021, 09:15 AM)monchevy Wrote: Meanwhile, a relative of mine who's a teacher was told he had to get a master's to get tenure. They didn't care where it was from or what it was in, it just had to be a master's. This was back in the mid-'00s, when the diploma mills were thriving. So he ended up getting it at Ashford, which at the time was, well... PEAK ASHFORD. They didn't care. He got his raise and his tenure, even though the degree wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. And he still lords it over the rest of us that he has a master's.  Dodgy

I wouldn't go quite that far. While Ashford was a terrible school, it was their predatory practices, lying, and overpricing that made them a bad school more than anything else.
(01-27-2021, 09:27 AM)eLearner Wrote: Let's not forget that Anabin also had a problem (and still has some reservations) with WGU, a regionally accredited non-profit school, as well as a number of other regionally accredited non-profit schools that here in the U.S. are deemed to be either well-regarded or at least acceptable. Think about this: they have reservations about Western Governors University but never had any about Ashford University, one of the notoriously-known worst schools of all time.

I've learned that somewhere in the world someone will have a problem with your degree almost no matter where you get it from. It's not worth it to get caught up in a million scenarios especially scenarios that are internationally-based unless you plan on living and working outside the USA which most people in the U.S. will never do. Research and go with the reputable school you can afford that offers you what you need and let everyone else go nuts with what-ifs.

(01-27-2021, 09:15 AM)monchevy Wrote: Meanwhile, a relative of mine who's a teacher was told he had to get a master's to get tenure. They didn't care where it was from or what it was in, it just had to be a master's. This was back in the mid-'00s, when the diploma mills were thriving. So he ended up getting it at Ashford, which at the time was, well... PEAK ASHFORD. They didn't care. He got his raise and his tenure, even though the degree wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. And he still lords it over the rest of us that he has a master's.  Dodgy

I wouldn't go quite that far. While Ashford was a terrible school, it was their predatory practices, lying, and overpricing that made them a bad school more than anything else.

At the time, it was indeed a diploma mill. "Lack of academic rigor" was among the reasons they had years of trouble trying to get accredited. The only reason they were accredited at all was because Bridgepoint purchased it as a regionally accredited school, but once it became Ashford, it turned into a diploma mill and couldn't get accredited on its own. And its crappy coursework was one of the reasons.