Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment.
I'm a systems engineer who makes what a graduate with a prestigious software engineering degree would make. Ashworth is a pretty sweet setup, I can take whatever study.com interests me and it's better than WGU or APU in that regard. If asked I could always spin it that I got to learn what i wanted. Nobody really cares and my skill set gets me jobs other than HR and algorithms.

I have looked at jobs in New Zealand, Saudi, Canada but those aren't a priority depending on the outcome of 2020 Smile

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll stay the course with Ashworth. If I ever do end up screwed and need an RA, I can always get an APU/WGU masters.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
(06-20-2020, 10:07 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Nationally Accredited you could run into problems:
- Transferring credits to RA school, applying to grad school
- Getting licensed in states
- Getting certain govt. jobs
- Getting financial aid
- Working overseas

No reason to go to a nationally accredited school so I would avoid it.

I worked in government for a number of years, and I have never known of any government job posting that expressly prohibited nationally accredited degrees, so "certain" is too vague, and as far as I've always known, government is a place where such a thing hasn't been a problem. I also got that job while holding a nationally accredited degree, so there's that.

Most degrees offered by NA schools that require a license to practice are at minimum doing so within a state where licensure for those professions isn't dependent on accreditation type, and it's important to note that most of these jobs are in things like Nursing and Tech-level positions. Every NA school I know of is operating with the proper credentials/programmatic accreditations necessary for people to be licensed.

NA schools have financial aid and you'll probably have a hard time finding many that don't, the government does not discriminate based on accreditation systems, that just isn't a thing.

Transferring credits to an RA school can be an issue, or not, depends on where you go. Same with grad school. It's not like every place will accept NA credits, but it's not like every place won't. Times have changed quite a bit in that regard.

Working overseas, now that could be a problem. But how many people are even going to do that compared to the majority who are getting a degree to work within the United States? Besides, no degree you get from any country is guaranteed to be accepted in another, so that's not so much an issue of national accreditation as it's just the nature of differing systems internationally.

Dismissing thousands of schools and doing it in that way is not a fair take at all. Going to any school comes down what is best for the individual, and given that most of your take is inaccurate, I think we owe it to readers to know that the decision to go to any school of any accreditation comes down to what the school can offer academically, how it aligns with your goals, pricing, and flexibility. A nationally accredited school can fit those measures just like any RA school can, and they do, that's why they have existed for as long as they have. If it weren't the case, they wouldn't still be around and certainly not in the numbers that they do.
[-] The following 2 users Like eLearner's post:
  • StoicJ, Teacherwannabe19
(08-18-2020, 10:39 PM)eLearner Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 10:07 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Nationally Accredited you could run into problems:
- Transferring credits to RA school, applying to grad school
- Getting licensed in states
- Getting certain govt. jobs
- Getting financial aid
- Working overseas

I worked in government for a number of years, and I have never known of any government job posting that expressly prohibited nationally accredited degrees, so "certain" is too vague, and as far as I've always known, government is a place where such a thing hasn't been a problem. I also got that job while holding a nationally accredited degree, so there's that.

Most degrees offered by NA schools that require a license to practice are at minimum doing so within a state where licensure for those professions isn't dependent on accreditation type, and it's important to note that most of these jobs are in things like Nursing and Tech-level positions. Every NA school I know of is operating with the proper credentials/programmatic accreditations necessary for people to be licensed.

NA schools have financial aid and you'll probably have a hard time finding many that don't, the government does not discriminate based on accreditation systems, that just isn't a thing.

Transferring credits to an RA school can be an issue, or not, depends on where you go. Same with grad school. It's not like every place will accept NA credits, but it's not like every place won't. Times have changed quite a bit in that regard.

Working overseas, now that could be a problem. But how many people are even going to do that compared to the majority who are getting a degree to work within the United States? Besides, no degree you get from any country is guaranteed to be accepted in another, so that's not so much an issue of national accreditation as it's just the nature of differing systems internationally.

Dismissing thousands of schools and doing it in that way is not a fair take at all. Going to any school comes down what is best for the individual, and given that most of your take is inaccurate, I think we owe it to readers to know that the decision to go to any school of any accreditation comes down to what the school can offer academically, how it aligns with your goals, pricing, and flexibility. A nationally accredited school can fit those measures just like any RA school can, and they do, that's why they have existed for as long as they have. If it weren't the case, they wouldn't still be around and certainly not in the numbers that they do.

I guess my question would be, why take the chance that you end up with credits that you can't transfer, or a degree that won't fit the bill for an employer, if you don't have to?  It's not like NA's are all so much cheaper than RA's that you'd risk it.  There are plenty of NA's that are quite expensive, and many RA's that are very inexpensive, so I'm not really seeing the upside?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
When I studied with NA programs, I picked schools that allowed me the flexibility, the affordable price, and the subject I wanted. No RA programs could match the first two at the time (and likely still can't) and so it was an easy decision. I couldn't meet a regular schedule and deadlines anymore (though almost all NA programs have these), I was working around the clock in a job that was both physically and mentally demanding, so I needed a program that was independent study based where I could study when I had the spare time and the schools I chose had that kind of system. The price of one NA school's program was also a fraction of what similar RA programs charged, and my state does not discriminate based on accreditation when/if licensing becomes necessary for an individual so it made the decision even easier. I have yet to encounter a problem transferring credits from any NA program I've ever been in to any RA school I've attended, and that's taking into account that when I was first attending NA programs it was much harder to get credits accepted at RA schools.

My needs were not unique, and this is a perfect example of why many different types of schools exist and with different accreditation designations. Education is not one-size-fits-all, and I find the "no reason to go to an NA" thinking outdated and lacking in knowledge of the education market (especially considering how many NA schools exist and considering how long they've existed), particularly when it comes to the diverse needs of different students.
  • rachel83az, StoicJ
(08-24-2020, 10:40 PM)eLearner Wrote: When I studied with NA programs, I picked schools that allowed me the flexibility, the affordable price, and the subject I wanted. No RA programs could match the first two at the time (and likely still can't) and so it was an easy decision. I couldn't meet a regular schedule and deadlines anymore (though almost all NA programs have these), I was working around the clock in a job that was both physically and mentally demanding, so I needed a program that was independent study based where I could study when I had the spare time and the schools I chose had that kind of system. The price of one NA school's program was also a fraction of what similar RA programs charged, and my state does not discriminate based on accreditation when/if licensing becomes necessary for an individual so it made the decision even easier. I have yet to encounter a problem transferring credits from any NA program I've ever been in to any RA school I've attended, and that's taking into account that when I was first attending NA programs it was much harder to get credits accepted at RA schools.

My needs were not unique, and this is a perfect example of why many different types of schools exist and with different accreditation designations. Education is not one-size-fits-all, and I find the "no reason to go to an NA" thinking outdated and lacking in knowledge of the education market (especially considering how many NA schools exist and considering how long they've existed), particularly when it comes to the diverse needs of different students.

I always question someone when they say that there were NO RA programs that could work, because I just find that hard to believe.  You gave no details or specifics, so there's absolutely no way anyone can challenge you.  If you said "I went to XYZ school and took ABC major and it cost $this much, and no other RA school could touch it" then it would allow many people here to chime in with either "you're right" or "this RA school has the same/similar program, and it only cost $less/similar to what you were paying."
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-25-2020, 09:55 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 10:40 PM)eLearner Wrote: When I studied with NA programs, I picked schools that allowed me the flexibility, the affordable price, and the subject I wanted. No RA programs could match the first two at the time (and likely still can't) and so it was an easy decision. I couldn't meet a regular schedule and deadlines anymore (though almost all NA programs have these), I was working around the clock in a job that was both physically and mentally demanding, so I needed a program that was independent study based where I could study when I had the spare time and the schools I chose had that kind of system. The price of one NA school's program was also a fraction of what similar RA programs charged, and my state does not discriminate based on accreditation when/if licensing becomes necessary for an individual so it made the decision even easier. I have yet to encounter a problem transferring credits from any NA program I've ever been in to any RA school I've attended, and that's taking into account that when I was first attending NA programs it was much harder to get credits accepted at RA schools.

I always question someone when they say that there were NO RA programs that could work, because I just find that hard to believe.  You gave no details or specifics, so there's absolutely no way anyone can challenge you.  If you said "I went to XYZ school and took ABC major and it cost $this much, and no other RA school could touch it" then it would allow many people here to chime in with either "you're right" or "this RA school has the same/similar program, and it only cost $less/similar to what you were paying."

I didn't know this was about me being "challenged", but you're totally free to find whatever you like hard to believe. I didn't mention names because this isn't about defending any particular school(s), and given the way you responded, and because this isn't even close to my first rodeo, I know from experience that the moment I would begin dropping names either you or some others will start trying to attack the schools. It's played out and I'm not interested because it doesn't change the point.

If there is a U.S. RA degree program out there that allows virtually 100% independent study with no deadlines, no weekly posts (which of course carry deadlines), and tuition at less than $70 per credit, and it's not a Community College or Test-out program, I've never seen it, and if you're well-versed enough in these things you can immediately think of some NA schools that fit that description today or in the past as there have been a number of them.
I don't know what NA degree eLearner got but I know that NationsU offers an extremely cheap NA bachelor's. At $450 per academic quarter, that works out to (at most) $2250 per year. I don't know of any RA degree that can beat that. A religious degree isn't going to be for everyone, but if all you need is a check-the-box degree and it doesn't matter if you get RA or NA then a BRS will most likely be as useful as a BALS.
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • eLearner, jch, openair
(08-25-2020, 10:42 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't know what NA degree eLearner got but I know that NationsU offers an extremely cheap NA bachelor's. At $450 per academic quarter, that works out to (at most) $2250 per year. I don't know of any RA degree that can beat that. A religious degree isn't going to be for everyone, but if all you need is a check-the-box degree and it doesn't matter if you get RA or NA then a BRS will most likely be as useful as a BALS.

And at one time (at least when I became aware) it was as low as $250 per year. I hear it was even lower before that. It looks like the prices have really gone up since they became accredited. Still a good deal.

While they were still unaccredited, they'd earned a good reputation for getting students into RA religious grad schools.
  • openair, rachel83az
(08-24-2020, 07:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I guess my question would be, why take the chance that you end up with credits that you can't transfer, or a degree that won't fit the bill for an employer, if you don't have to?  It's not like NA's are all so much cheaper than RA's that you'd risk it.  There are plenty of NA's that are quite expensive, and many RA's that are very inexpensive, so I'm not really seeing the upside?
(08-24-2020, 07:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I always question someone when they say that there were NO RA programs that could work, because I just find that hard to believe.  You gave no details or specifics, so there's absolutely no way anyone can challenge you.  If you said "I went to XYZ school and took ABC major and it cost $this much, and no other RA school could touch it" then it would allow many people here to chime in with either "you're right" or "this RA school has the same/similar program, and it only cost $less/similar to what you were paying."

I agree with defrecore.

Finding a NA school that is better than the best test out RA schools in terms of time commitment, cost, and program quality so that it is worth it not to get a RA degree is nearly impossible.

(08-25-2020, 10:10 AM)eLearner Wrote: I didn't know this was about me being "challenged", but you're totally free to find whatever you like hard to believe. I didn't mention names because this isn't about defending any particular school(s), and given the way you responded, and because this isn't even close to my first rodeo, I know from experience that the moment I would begin dropping names either you or some others will start trying to attack the schools. It's played out and I'm not interested because it doesn't change the point.

If there is a U.S. RA degree program out there that allows virtually 100% independent study with no deadlines, no weekly posts (which of course carry deadlines), and tuition at less than $70 per credit, and it's not a Community College or Test-out program, I've never seen it, and if you're well-versed enough in these things you can immediately think of some NA schools that fit that description today or in the past as there have been a number of them.

Virtually 100% independent study with no deadlines?  That is TESU, WGU, and others.

$70 per credit???  Sophia is less than $2 per credit  Big Grin

It's not a Community College or Test-out program?  Are you trying to push a square peg into a round hole?  Must our RA schools fit into your definition of what a school should be?

This thread is all over the place.  Saying the names of schools, nobody has attended.  No facts on the total cost or time involved.  Conveniently leaving out the fact that Pell Grants reduce the cost for a lot of people for RA schools.  

Anything to force the narrative that NA schools are somehow better?  Cheaper?  Save time?  What is the point here?

TESU costs $50 per year to attend, you can attend that school for 100 years for only $5000, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!  LOL
NO, NO, NO, I found a school that only costs $20 a year to attend.  BAM BAM BAM
Too expensive, I found a free school, all you have to do is install an app on your phone and watch 5 hours worth of ads per month and it is FREE!  SHAZAM!!!
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-25-2020, 04:05 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Finding a NA school that is better than the best test out RA schools in terms of time commitment, cost, and program quality so that it is worth it not to get a RA degree is nearly impossible.

This isn't about subjective concepts like "better" that can't even be measured in a way that establishes objective definitive differences in course quality school by school, course by course. I was perfectly clear on the criteria and that wasn't it. It's about what fits the individual. I get it, your entire position is simply that all NA schools are no good, but the take is fatally flawed. You can argue that RA degrees offer higher utility in most instances (and it's not automatic, there are levels and circumstances to it) and that would be totally true, but when you go so far as to invalidate and dismiss all NA schools entirely, your take can't (and shouldn't) be taken seriously.

(08-25-2020, 04:05 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Virtually 100% independent study with no deadlines?  That is TESU, WGU, and others.

I was also clear in excluding schools like TESU that allow high levels of testing out and transferring, and that makes sense to do because almost all of a person's credits can be earned someplace other than TESU. Therefore, you wouldn't be on any schedule or have any deadlines since you don't even have to be enrolled there. That being said, I'm also sure schools like TESU have classes that operate on the weekly schedule system with term dates which would again disqualify them from the criteria of having no deadlines.

WGU definitely has term limits and cutoff dates, so they wouldn't fit the bill either.

(08-25-2020, 04:05 PM)LevelUP Wrote: $70 per credit???  Sophia is less than $2 per credit  Big Grin

You're not listening: "If there is a U.S. RA degree program out there..."

Last I checked, Sophia itself is neither RA nor do they offer degrees.

(08-25-2020, 04:05 PM)LevelUP Wrote: It's not a Community College or Test-out program?  Are you trying to push a square peg into a round hole?  Must our RA schools fit into your definition of what a school should be?

You're trying to slant this into something else now. It's not about my "definition", have whatever definition you like. It's about what I was looking for at the time (I covered that already) and what many students may look for and have. Community colleges pretty much all have lower prices than the average 4-year+ school so using those as an example wouldn't fit, not to mention that generally they stop at the Associate degree level. Still, the types of schools I mentioned have had prices as low and lower than many community colleges if compared at the Associate degree level.

(08-25-2020, 04:05 PM)LevelUP Wrote: This thread is all over the place.  Saying the names of schools, nobody has attended.  No facts on the total cost or time involved.  Conveniently leaving out the fact that Pell Grants reduce the cost for a lot of people for RA schools.

It wasn't all over the place until you started making reaches like that. No one is conveniently leaving out anything. And even with Pell Grants and other types of aide (which students of NA schools do get, btw) it doesn't reduce the price of school to nothing. If they did, student loan debt wouldn't be where it is now. The price level I mentioned is absolutely not common in the RA field. It's not even common in the NA field for that matter.

(08-25-2020, 04:05 PM)LevelUP Wrote: [b]Anything to force the narrative that NA schools are somehow better?  Cheaper?  Save time? What is the point here?

That's definitely not the point, and what the point is has gone completely over your head which is strange because it was the inaccurate post you made that opened this up. You made a bunch of statements that aren't based in fact. I corrected them. The point lies therein.

(08-25-2020, 04:05 PM)LevelUP Wrote: TESU costs $50 per year to attend, you can attend that school for 100 years for only $5000, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!  LOL
NO, NO, NO, I found a school that only costs $20 a year to attend.  BAM BAM BAM
Too expensive, I found a free school, all you have to do is install an app on your phone and watch 5 hours worth of ads per month and it is FREE!  SHAZAM!!!

That's not what's happening. You've gone wild, lol. Wow.

On the other board the term "NA rage" (for those driven to explosion or emotional breakdown over their opposition to national accreditation) was coined for just this kind of behavior, lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • rachel83az