Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nations U BACHELOR in religious studies, who's done it?
ss20ts,

I would see the prison issue in the same way that you see the diploma look issue. It's a non-issue. I've never even looked into it as a student. This is the first time that I've heard about the prison students posing a problem. You can find tons of colleges which also serve this population in some capacity. Plus it's not like this is a university for the incarcerated, or anything like that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes openair's post:
  • rachel83az
(10-12-2020, 11:19 AM)openair Wrote: ss20ts,

I would see the prison issue in the same way that you see the diploma look issue. It's a non-issue. I've never even looked into it as a student. This is the first time that I've heard about the prison students posing a problem. You can find tons of colleges which also serve this population in some capacity. Plus it's not like this is a university for the incarcerated, or anything like that.

I'm looking at it from an HR perspective not a student perspective. There's a difference between offering education programs to prisoners and advertising such programs all over your website. Many state schools have programs for prisoners but you don't see it all over the school website and it's not their focus. The inmate program comes across as a major focus of the school. As someone in HR, it could look like you omitted something from your past if they look at this website. That's what I'm saying.

(10-12-2020, 11:16 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Personally, I don't care what the degree looks like - for the most part. But it is nice to be able to hang something on your wall if that's important to you.

If I go for this degree, it also wouldn't go on my resume either. It's NA, which "doesn't count" in Germany, and irrelevant for the career path I want. But the thought literally never even crossed my mind that some people might think that I got the degree while in prison. But you can get other degrees while in prison, so I don't see why NationsU is special.

https://www.prisonerresource.com/corresp...te-degree/ TESU, Rio Salado, and several other universities discussed on this board all have programs that are recommended for use by prisoners.

The issue from an HR perspective is that they seem to be a prisoner program and not much else. It's also NA and a religious school so you can't get a degree in business or liberal arts - just religious degrees - which won't help most people in most jobs.
I don't think that they are actively promoting this prison stuff. They have an international student body. I wouldn't really care about incompetent HR people. These are probably the same type of people who think that University of Pheonix is unaccredited, or that online schools are scams. I never once got the impression that NationsUniversity is a prison school. This is your own subjective impression.
(10-12-2020, 12:21 PM)openair Wrote: I don't think that they are actively promoting this prison stuff. They have an international student body. I wouldn't really care about incompetent HR people. These are probably the same type of people who think that University of Pheonix is unaccredited, or that online schools are scams. I never once got the impression that NationsUniversity is a prison school. This is your own subjective impression.

It's all over the homepage! I had no idea until I looked at their website. And no many HR folks don't think U of P is unaccredited or online schools are a scam. UofP had a lot of problems back in the day. Many for profit schools do. I didn't say it was a prison school.  Rolleyes
I won't argue that it's not a religious university or that the degree is universally useful for employment purposes. But I do think that the whole thing about it being a "prison university" is a bit silly. It's just an inexpensive way to get a checkbox degree for people who don't care whether the degree is RA or NA. A BALS isn't exactly the most useful degree, employment-wise, either. Nothing against people who get them but employers tend to not look as favorably on them as on subject degrees.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • openair, StoicJ
(10-12-2020, 10:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Genuine question. Why do people care what the degree looks like? As in the actual sheet of paper that's printed. 

I think it's because you put all this time, effort, and money into earning a degree and at the end it's about the only physical evidence you might retain. And in your "vision" of earning the degree, this is something you can visualize. If you imagine a scribbled-on piece of toilet paper, well..... that's fine, too  Smile , but not very compelling.

Or if you have children, a nice-looking diploma that is displayed and draws attention serves as a reminder that, in your home, education is valued.

I know I have seen diplomas in offices, and I like to get a closer look, especially if it's fancy. Some go so overboard on the font that I really can't tell what they say without REALLY focusing.

I'd like to see this diploma, just out of curiosity. I have an AABA diploma, as does my wife. We hung them up, but they looked really plain. When it came time to move, they went into a box. Those things have been in storage for years now. If they looked nicer, they'd probably be on a wall.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 2 users Like StoicJ's post:
  • openair, rachel83az
NationsU: They don't really accept online proctors like RPNow or ProctorU because the proctor needs to be an individual approved by the university. But it sounds like they do permit proctoring via Zoom or similar. If anyone else is interested, I'll paste the answer that I received from them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
ss20ts,

To ensure that I wasn't overlooking something, I've looked at their homepage. I am not sure what homepage you were looking at when you said: "It's all over the homepage! I had no idea until I looked at their website. " The home page address is: nationsu.edu. Um, there is a single reference to "prison services" on it. You can get more information when you click on that specific link. None of the student photos show a single prisoner. How exactly do you go from prison services to Prison University?
(10-12-2020, 01:40 PM)openair Wrote: ss20ts,

To ensure that I wasn't overlooking something, I've looked at their homepage. I am not sure what homepage you were looking at when you said: "It's all over the homepage! I had no idea until I looked at their website. " The home page address is: nationsu.edu. Um, there is a single reference to "prison services" on it.  You can get more information when you click on that specific link. None of the student photos show a single prisoner.

I thought the link provided above was their homepage. This page looks NOTHING like the link provided above. The link above includes all of the prison services I was talking about. There's several areas it's shown on the link above. These two links look like 2 entirely different websites.

This link: https://jonroysloan.wixsite.com/nationsu/about-nationsu

I can see now they are 2 different websites. Not sure which one is actually for NU since they both have their info on it. Strange.
okay, that makes sense now. I just hope that you see that it's nothing of the sort. By the way, thanks for the info on UMPI. I am still considering it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 322 03-27-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is it possible to get a bachelor's degree in anything with mostly Sophia, etc? whiverem 19 2,419 06-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Amberton Bachelor's Experience? SCYankee 6 979 03-01-2023, 05:42 PM
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 961 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Lancaster Bible College - Christian-oriented non-religious degrees rachel83az 0 929 05-19-2022, 04:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  SUU 'Speedway" Bachelor of General Studies Completion Program Petey43 5 1,984 03-26-2022, 02:26 PM
  PennWest California AS Technical Studies & BS Science & Technology Multidisciplinary Jonathan Whatley 7 1,231 03-24-2022, 06:03 PM
  Is it possible to "double dip" a BA in liberal studies? NEED5SPEED 4 990 03-12-2021, 01:13 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  California Indian Nations College Alpha 0 774 01-10-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Two bachelor's degrees, same credits? Clepper43 23 4,116 01-02-2021, 03:48 PM