Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NationsUniversity
With those who have gone through NationsU, do you get in trouble if you go through it too fast through? In some of the modules you're required to read a good deal of content, like for instance the Bible. I've already read the Bible a handful of times and know it pretty well so I don't feel like it's too needful for me to reread it so I'm thinking about just taking the exams cause I already know the content really well. Will I be flagged or will I raise suspicion if I finish a course really quick?
No. Some people just know the Bible really well. That is a good thing and not a bad thing. I would say that they are more likely to be impressed rather than suspicious.

Note: I completed a handful of courses at NationsU and a fair number of exams. I will eventually head back to take some more when time allows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • eLearner
Quote:RoyalSpadeWith those who have gone through NationsU, do you get in trouble if you go through it too fast through? In some of the modules you're required to read a good deal of content, like for instance the Bible. I've already read the Bible a handful of times and know it pretty well so I don't feel like it's too needful for me to reread it so I'm thinking about just taking the exams cause I already know the content really well. Will I be flagged or will I raise suspicion if I finish a course really quick?

I finished the MTS at NationsU with a total of 54 credits. There is no seat time requirement. You can go as fast or as slow as you like. If you fail a test, though, you are automatically locked out from taking the test again for at least a week. Some tests and some classes are REALLY difficult. I specifically had trouble with the New Testament Environment course. It is a requirement (or you take the alternate course but it's just as difficult). The material was fine but I was easily tripped up on the test. All those unfamiliar names and concepts all mixed together for different religions and leaders and gods. I barely passed the course. Other courses are very easy and I blew through them without any difficulty.

When I went back to finish this last year I had 3 courses remaining, plus the comprehensive exams. I did three courses and the comp exam within one three month semester with probably a month to spare. They never once said anything about going too quickly.

Word of caution. There is a lot of waiting for turn around time on papers. The standard is two weeks from the time you submit the paper to be graded. So if you are in a time crunch (need to get your degree done) or you would just like to maximize your time (or minimize the overall cost) you would want to enroll in two or three courses at a time, work on one until you submit a paper for grading, then immediately switch over to course 2 and turn in a paper, then go on to course 3 and submit a paper. By that point the grade should be back for course 1. By doing it this way you should be able to complete 3-6 (or more) courses per month, it would take 6 months to finish the MTS degree and would cost you about $1000. If you had the time you could do it even quicker.
[-] The following 2 users Like isaachunter's post:
  • 4Degree, StoicJ
(12-05-2020, 03:01 AM)RoyalSpade Wrote: With those who have gone through NationsU, do you get in trouble if you go through it too fast through? In some of the modules you're required to read a good deal of content, like for instance the Bible. I've already read the Bible a handful of times and know it pretty well so I don't feel like it's too needful for me to reread it so I'm thinking about just taking the exams cause I already know the content really well. Will I be flagged or will I raise suspicion if I finish a course really quick?

Hi there,
NationsU is a wonderful school. I finished my MTS there in six months. You can go as fast as you want.
Blessings
(01-02-2021, 07:48 PM)novamonday Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 03:01 AM)RoyalSpade Wrote: With those who have gone through NationsU, do you get in trouble if you go through it too fast through? In some of the modules you're required to read a good deal of content, like for instance the Bible. I've already read the Bible a handful of times and know it pretty well so I don't feel like it's too needful for me to reread it so I'm thinking about just taking the exams cause I already know the content really well. Will I be flagged or will I raise suspicion if I finish a course really quick?

Hi there,
NationsU is a wonderful school. I finished my MTS there in six months. You can go as fast as you want.
Blessings

Hey! I'm interested in pursuing an MTS after my Bachelors, and was wondering what the experience was like? How was the pacing? And I heard that it's difficult to get a proctor for tests and things, is that true? Thanks in advance.
(01-03-2021, 12:45 AM)DamonPage Wrote: Hey! I'm interested in pursuing an MTS after my Bachelors, and was wondering what the experience was like? How was the pacing? And I heard that it's difficult to get a proctor for tests and things, is that true? Thanks in advance.

My experience at NationsU was rather great. The pacing is up to you. No semesters. No seat time. It's at your own pace. The biggest issue I found with NU was the turnaround time on getting papers graded. Usually took a few weeks. I had to email my advisor once and she rousted the instructor after the two week deadline. All the instructors are volunteers, so there's a reason for the slow response. If you are enrolled in multiple classes at once you can turn in a paper, go on to the next course while you wait and turn in another paper, etc. That way you're not waiting the two weeks doing nothing and you'll finish in a fraction of the time and will cost you a truck load less.

Proctors are selected by you in your own community. They have to be clergy, or librarians, etc. When not during COVID it was as simple as arranging tests with my local librarian. But after COVID hit it was a little more difficult. I emailed probably a dozen churches and libraries and received only two emails back. One library said they couldn't do it but a local pastor agreed and was great when proctoring my Comprehensive Exam. I would suggest finding one reliable person ahead of time that you can use as a proctor for all your tests throughout the program. They have to be approved by the school and it's a process. But once approved and you start testing it's easy. Then again, at least for the MTS, there are only three proctored exams, two comps during the program and a final comp at the end (multiple choice). 

The coursework is fun and challenging. The online, unproctored tests can be brutal. The Ancient Near East and New Testament Environment courses were particularly difficult for me. The rest were pretty easy. For both courses I had real trouble trying to remember and keep together all the foreign names of places and peoples and gods and beliefs. Unfortunately you need to pass at least one of those courses for the degree. Unproctored tests are online, multiple choice and you get three attempts. Not sure what happens if you fail all three. I much preferred the courses that required papers to write instead of tests. I'm thankful to be done with courses and on to actual research now for my doctorate program. I really don't care for tests, but I surprisingly enjoyed the final Comprehensive exam experience. I did a lot better than I thought I would. They don't provide study materials or notes, but I spent a few weeks testing on Quizlet. They have many card decks for bible course finals or for comprehensive exams at other seminaries. I just used the ones already created and used the testing feature. It helped quite a bit I think.

NU is really the best option out there if you are at all constrained by money or by time as long as a nationally accredited degree will work. If you need RA then look elsewhere, but you will be paying much, much more. I went with NU over Liberty for the MTS because it saved me about $7000. By the time I finished with my MTS degree I had selected a different seminary altogether for my doctorate (ThD instead of PhD) and that saved me about $14k.

As long as you don't need regional accreditation you cannot beat NU on price, time, or work. It was a great experience overall. 

Isaac