Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural Sciences or Biology - Possible?
Oh ok. So you are taking Excelsior classes and then transferring them over to TESU for the Environmental Studies degree, and going for the NS w Biology concentration simultaneously? So I would imagine it is pretty hard to find much of the UL requirements elsewhere for these degrees then...
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt  sh: 120 (Complete)
Saylor (9): Env Eth, Mor & Pol Phil, Corp Com
OnlineDegree (18): Int Ast, Mod His, Int Psych, Microecon, Mark, Bio
Sophia (6 3): Con Res (1), Teams (1), SS (1), Gr Phil
CLEP (15): Int Soc, Mgmt, Comp (6), Gov't
CSM Learn (3): CSM
Institutes (2): Ethics (2)
TEEX (10 5): CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
Study.com (61 58): W Civ I, W Civ II, Rel 101, Pres Skills, Int Bus, Glob & Int Mgmt, Macroecon, Int to Computers, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Bus Law, Int E-Com, Col Alg, Precalc Alg (4), Int Ent, Princ Fin, SB Fin, SB Mgmt, Dig Mark, W Art His I, Fin Mgmt
TESU (9): SOS-110, Intro to Islam, Capstone
It was a bit difficult however it is doable with either piecing it together with different courses from different schools or picking something that isnt as self paced friendly like APUS.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(05-20-2019, 02:13 AM)Dan A Million Wrote: American Public University will accept 90 transfer in credits, but only 60 of them can be "non-traditional." So that would mean something more like $16,000 than 8...

I don't think you can find 90 "non-traditional" credits anyway for a science degree.

I figured it would be very hard or impossible. Seems like the best bet would be taking classes from places like AMU and APUS, which are both $270/credit. They have some ES classes (among other things obviously): https://www.amu.apus.edu/course-schedule...Direction=
and
https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...l-planning (I cant find their actual course directory at the moment).

As far as I have gathered from the info I have gotten so far, that seems to be the cheapest way. If anybody knows of any other options???
I will be working on compiling a spreadsheet for TESU's Biology and Excelsior's NS Biology concentration over the next day or so.
And see how it compares to APUS's ES or NS... If I can't find enough transfer in credits that are cheaper, might as well just go there then, right
Study.com (61 58): W Civ I, W Civ II, Rel 101, Pres Skills, Int Bus, Glob & Int Mgmt, Macroecon, Int to Computers, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Bus Law, Int E-Com, Col Alg, Precalc Alg (4), Int Ent, Princ Fin, SB Fin, SB Mgmt, Dig Mark, W Art His I, Fin Mgmt
Dfrecore uploaded a spreadsheet here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...or-Biology

I don't know if there's much difference between the NS at APU and the NSM at TESU? In terms of the end degree. I thought you did not want NSM/NS. Otherwise if you want the cheapest and easiest, go for NSM/NS.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Dan A Million
"I really want to pursue Environmental Science or Biology, but it looks like this is hard to do. "

Yes- but it can be done.

"Also, I realize that graduate schools may not accept you if you didn't take labs in person. (Is it possible to take just the labs at a local CC and be alright?)"

This is a myth. I'm sure there are *some graduate schools that will stipulate distance labs not being accepted, but so what? There are thousands of graduate programs, including medical school, that doesn't have that requirement. That's placing a lot of pressure on a degree that will otherwise check all your boxes.

"TESU has BALS with concentration in Natural Sciences/Mathematics but I am not sure this degree will hold weight with employers in the field..."

Which field will you be working in?

"I may be able to take a couple classes through the school's online courses, but obviously trying to save as much money that I don't have as possible."

I believe you'll find many people here who place cost at the top of their priority list too, and while lab sciences do cost more, the way you balance that out is by saving as much money on every non-lab-science course you take. My lab science sequence cost $10,000 and I did it after my TESU degree. Both my AA and BA from TESU combined didn't cost $10k, so money isn't the only thing you have to consider- if you need the classes you need the classes. It would have been more efficient and more cost effective to take them inside my degree, but woulda coulda shoulda....
The best plan is the one you can finish. Hoping to impress every potential future naysayer isn't going to happen. Mark your path and go full speed. Worrying about every potential contingency is a sure fire way to undermine your motivation.
Science sequences take a long time, no question, so why not get started with something you know you need and move from there. General Bio 1 w/Lab through your community college is as good a place as any to start. Summer session is probably starting now.
(05-20-2019, 05:29 AM)Ideas Wrote: Dfrecore uploaded a spreadsheet here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...or-Biology

I don't know if there's much difference between the NS at APU and the NSM at TESU? In terms of the end degree. I thought you did not want NSM/NS. Otherwise if you want the cheapest and easiest, go for NSM/NS.

Thanks, Ive been checking out this plan and Sanantone's older plan.

I was under the impression that the NSM degree was a Liberal Studies degree with a concentration. I figured this would not be as strong as an actual degree in Biology or Natural Science, or Env Science. Am I wrong? I honestly don't know that much, I'm just trying to soak in as much info as possible.

If so, the Liberal Studies Natural Science/Math (idk what to call that, BALSNSM?) would be a lot easier.

(05-20-2019, 08:03 AM)cookderosa Wrote: "I really want to pursue Environmental Science or Biology, but it looks like this is hard to do. "

Yes- but it can be done.

"Also, I realize that graduate schools may not accept you if you didn't take labs in person. (Is it possible to take just the labs at a local CC and be alright?)"

This is a myth. I'm sure there are *some graduate schools that will stipulate distance labs not being accepted, but so what? There are thousands of graduate programs, including medical school, that doesn't have that requirement. That's placing a lot of pressure on a degree that will otherwise check all your boxes.

"TESU has BALS with concentration in Natural Sciences/Mathematics but I am not sure this degree will hold weight with employers in the field..."

Which field will you be working in?

"I may be able to take a couple classes through the school's online courses, but obviously trying to save as much money that I don't have as possible."

I believe you'll find many people here who place cost at the top of their priority list too, and while lab sciences do cost more, the way you balance that out is by saving as much money on every non-lab-science course you take.  My lab science sequence cost $10,000 and I did it after my TESU degree. Both my AA and BA from TESU combined didn't cost $10k, so money isn't the only thing you have to consider- if you need the classes you need the classes.  It would have been more efficient and more cost effective to take them inside my degree, but woulda coulda shoulda....
The best plan is the one you can finish.  Hoping to impress every potential future naysayer isn't going to happen. Mark your path and go full speed.  Worrying about every potential contingency is a sure fire way to undermine your motivation.  
Science sequences take a long time, no question, so why not get started with something you know you need and move from there.  General Bio 1 w/Lab through your community college is as good a place as any to start.  Summer session is probably starting now.

Thanks for the reply. I want to work in the field possibly fish & wildlife, survey type of stuff. I know there will be lab work too.

Good to know about the labs, now I am wondering about the Nat Sci/Math concentration for the TESU Liberal Studies... I mean one could always go back later to complete the necessary requirements for a Biology degree afterwards, correct? Say, when I have some more money - or am I wrong on this?
Hi Dan, what’s your budget and rough timeframe you would like to complete the degree? Do you have any transfer credits? Do you work and does the workplace have tuition assistance or tuition reimbursement?

BTW, you are in Seattle, we don’t have much online options in the CC level, I would go with the following CC in other states for specific sciences. NMJC for Biology II and Lab, Ocean County for Organic Chem I + Lab, OC II + Lab. The rest of the LL can be done with SL or Study.com...

You only need 5 UL Biology classes, one of them can be done by UEXCEL. You can take 4 Biology UL at APU and you’re done with the BA Biology at TESU. Total cost may exceed $10K, but having said that, you can try to get an extra Associate or two.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Dan A Million
(05-20-2019, 09:53 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi Dan, what’s your budget and rough timeframe you would like to complete the degree? Do you have any transfer credits? Do you work and does the workplace have tuition assistance or tuition reimbursement?

BTW, you are in Seattle, we don’t have much online options in the CC level, I would go with the following CC in other states for specific sciences.  NMJC for Biology II and Lab, Ocean County for Organic Chem I + Lab, OC II + Lab.   The rest of the LL can be done with SL or Study.com...

You only need 5 UL Biology classes, one of them can be done by UEXCEL.  You can take 4 Biology UL at APU and you’re done with the BA Biology at TESU. Total cost may exceed $10K, but having said that, you can try to get an extra Associate or two.

Sweet. Thanks for sharing your knowledge I appreciate it.
So right now I am in a situation where I want to slam out a degree pretty fast. I started 2 months ago, and have accumulated 36 credits so far, but they were admittedly pretty easy (Im not sure if my sig will start showing up now that i have 12 posts, or not?). Stopped working to focus on this, my parents are housing me up for the moment to which I am very grateful for. Thats also added motivation to get this done as fast as possible - but I have no money... I would definitely have to take out a loan.

Im going to take a minute and check out these options - I am considering the TESU NSM option - cheaper & easier, possibly land 2 Associates in the process, and go back later to expand for the science degree? I am just wondering if it makes a huge difference or not in terms of employability...

edit: yeah, my sig does not appear to be showing up - anyone know how many posts needed for that?
I would not go for the TESU BALS NSM, if you get the degree and try to go back to a BA Biology, it'll cost you an arm/leg. You would need 24 credits NEWER after the BALS, so that means 24 extra Biology credits for crazy EXPENSIVE! I would work at a job with crazy benefits part time or full time while taking as many FREE credits from the Wiki, Onlinedegree.com, Saylor.org and pay Study.com for the required UL courses.

I would think it over for now, create an action plan/spreadsheet, and just get your two associates first and may be go for a Bachelors in Business with a concentration in something you may want to work in - CIS, Marketing, whatever it maybe. That degree is my "check the box Bachelors" as it has a much more utility for so many different professions. OR...

You can go for a BALS with a NSM but not take any Biology courses, you can take Comp Sci/Comp Info System courses instead, so you can get an ASNSM Biology and ASNSM Math, then a BALS with NSM using CS/CIS. If you really need the Biology degree afterwards, you can ladder up to the Biology.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Dan A Million

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 536 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IU Applied Sciences - 50% off tuition until July 14 (online programs) bjcheung77 0 1,095 06-30-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,584 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,665 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,267 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  What to do with my post-bacc sciences and a word about them (med school).. MSK9 32 6,767 09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 1,985 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,695 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  How should I study for the biology CLEP? trus 7 2,555 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Social Sciences and History CLEP Aubs 10 2,762 05-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Last Post: TexasTink