Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural sciences at Excelsior
For the Bachelor's degree in Natural Sciences at Excelsior, do you know if Mathematics counts as a Natural Science? How about Computer science? I searched, but could not find it on their website, but maybe I just looked in the wrong place.
It is indeed hard to find info on the Excelsior website.  We are looking at the BS in Liberal Arts for my youngest son.  I did stumble upon this list of exams and it has a variety of exams, including mathematics under natural sciences.  I was simply looking for a list of what subjects are considered Liberal Arts but haven't found one.  Thankfully, I have a good idea.  My son is currently in a 1 year program for personal training and I am trying to figure out if his classes will come in as Health Sciences or Liberal arts, but there is really no way to know until he applies.

Here is the link to the list of exams: https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/partners/exam-list
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
Statistics satisfied 3 of my natural science credits at Excelsior.  So it seems likely that all college level mathematics courses would be applied as natural sciences as well.  I believe that computer science courses come in as natural sciences also but I didn't take any computer science courses so I can't be sure of that.  But I do know that info systems courses come in as elective applied sciences, not natural sciences.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

(09-05-2018, 04:56 PM)Kima Wrote: Statistics satisfied 3 of my natural science credits at Excelsior.  So it seems likely that all college level mathematics courses would be applied as natural sciences as well.  I believe that computer science courses come in as natural sciences also but I didn't take any computer science courses so I can't be sure of that.  But I do know that info systems courses come in as elective applied sciences, not natural sciences.

I have not heard that EC or COSC counts CompSci courses as NatSci - only TESU does that I'm aware of.

When looking at the degree, it specifically requires Stats for the NatSci degree, so I'm not surprised that it worked for you if that was your major.  If you're talking about a different major, then EC doesn't have a requirement for just Natural Sciences in GE's - they actually have a NatSci/Math area in there, so stats would work in that area.

Also, they list NatSci and math as separate things in the GE area, so I'm almost positive they don't count them as the same thing.  And, last but not least, for the NatSci degree, they list Biology and then Physical Sciences - so I'm guessing it only includes what most schools would consider NatSci - biological sciences, and physical sciences, but not math or CompSci.

But it would probably be easier to just ask them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,075 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,312 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az