Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need 12cr of BIO & CHEM
Hey there. Right now I’m going for an Associates in Science with COSC using mainly Sophia and come community college credits I have. To graduate from COSC, one course with a Lab must be taken. I understand study.com BIO101L is the cheapest way to go for that. To get certified at work I need an Associates with 12 credits of combined Biology and Chemistry. So I was wondering what the best place to go for something like BIO I & II and Chem I & II in order to fulfill that 12 credit requirement. It doesn’t say it has to be split evenly. It just has to be a combination of both areas. Whatever is best (mix between best content/price). 
Thanks all!
hmmmm. As far as I know (could be wrong) but Bio II isn't available via alt credit at all. I think the only alt credit for CHEM II is study.com

Have you ever thought of getting your associates through your CC instead of COSC? It might be cheaper. Especially if the CC accepts Sophia or ACE credits. COSC associates will run a few grand. Idk what state you live in but with CC tuition being so cheap it might be cheaper. Also, many CC's offer 5-week and 7-week online courses. Maybe take your labs through CC as well. Another option is snow college: https://online.snow.edu/ they have a deal of unlimited courses this summer for $1300. All I'm saying is I don't know if COSC would be the cheapest associate degree option, especially given the labs you need. If you can find a CC that accepts ACE/Sophia.

New Mexico Community Colleges online are cheap and offer online sciences with labs. Maybe do some labs through them. But if do enough science through them (I believe 15 credits in residence are required for an assoicates) and they accept ACE (idk if they do) then might as well just transfer the rest of your ACE/CC credits and get an associates degree through New Mexico CC.

Another option would Houston CC. They are large CC I bet they have labs online (didn't check). $220/cr if you are out of state though so more pricy than other options. But they are a Sophia partner school and the courses transfer nicely.

https://hccs.sophia.org/

And I guess if you don't care about cost then maybe COSC would be the best option. But with the headache of dealing with multiple transcripts and everything HCC might be easier as well as cheaper. Idk really. Also Houston accepts CLEP the BIO clep is 6 credits and the chem CLEP is 6 credits. I don't know much about Houston at all, the only reason I think they might be a good option is that they have a very nice transfer with sophia.
Yes, I agree with finishing off the associates at the local community college, they may have online courses. If all else fails, this is what I recommend first actually - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid306668
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-18-2020, 11:29 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, I agree with finishing off the associates at the local community college, they may have online courses.  If all else fails, this is what I recommend first actually - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid306668

The issue with New Mexico Junior College is they aren't on the ACE list, meaning they won't accept Sophia credits. And I just checked snow isn't either. So it would not really be worthwhile to finish an associate's degree because the Sophia would go to waste.

I am not sure if Houston would be cheaper or not, but unlike New Mexico and Snow (which are a cheap way to earn credits), they don't accept Sophia.

So the options are:

1. Go to cheap CC like New Mexico or similar and transfer the credit earned there to charter oak.

2. Go to either Houston or other CC that accepts CC and finish degree there. Only take the minimum at CC and transfer in the rest with prior credits. If you choose CC other than Houston (or any University not on Sophias partner list) you will have to go through the (possibly frustrating) process or getting the Sophia courses approved and it may not even happen.

Ok I did the math 15 credits at Houston CC (assuming you don't live in Texas) would be 3285. Idk what the cost of Charter Oak is but I think it will be cheaper. Idk someone help me out on the cost if they know the base cost of COSC associates. 

But if money is your main issue then consider outside COSC but it might be a hassle. If you live in Texas or Houston then check out HCC. But I think if you just want to get this degree done and don't live in Texas just go Charter Oak.

Maybe Pierpoint but you gotta take class with them to get a transcript and heard it is a slow process. Also idk if they take sophia.
Study.com ought to get you started on that. they have Bio 101 with a lab and Chem 101 & 102 with labs
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Study.com..
BABA, New England College, 2019
(04-18-2020, 02:46 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com ought to get you started on that. they have Bio 101 with a lab and Chem 101 & 102 with labs

Ok that sounds least complicated. Say I get everything else from Sophia and prior CC credits, is COSC still the best place to transfer them to?
(04-18-2020, 04:01 PM)Faceparade Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 02:46 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com ought to get you started on that. they have Bio 101 with a lab and Chem 101 & 102 with labs

Ok that sounds least complicated. Say I get everything else from Sophia and prior CC credits, is COSC still the best place to transfer them to?

Yeah sorry if my post seemed complicated. I misread your post and thought you need all the labs and from a regionally accredited college. Well maybe my research will help someone else.

Charter Oak is still your best bet at this time. Or if you want to consider Pierpont and take one class them it would be cheaper.
(04-18-2020, 04:09 PM)natshar Wrote:

Yeah sorry if my post seemed complicated. I misread your post and thought you need all the labs and from a regionally accredited college. Well maybe my research will help someone else.

Charter Oak is still your best bet at this time. Or if you want to consider Pierpont and take one class them it would be cheaper.

With Charter Oak I do need one lab. And I do need my degree from a regionally accredited school. Would study.com not be ACE transferable to Charter Oak? If I did one bio and two chems all with Labs that will fulfill my 12cr requirement. 

Initially I thought Pierpoint, but isn’t there some issue about them not giving out transcripts?
(04-18-2020, 04:23 PM)Faceparade Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 04:09 PM)natshar Wrote:

With Charter Oak I do need one lab. And I do need my degree from a regionally accredited school. Would study.com not be ACE transferable to Charter Oak? If I did one bio and two chems all with Labs that will fulfill my 12cr requirement. 

Initially I thought Pierpoint, but isn’t there some issue about them not giving out transcripts?

They do give out Transcripts as long as you take a course with them. They are about $500/cr for out of state. But if you take a single 1 credit course then it would be cheaper than Charter Oak and less work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong this.

EDIT: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid306710

This thread got me thinking about associates for my friends. Pierpont, you could do it for only $500. However, the summer term starts May 18th so unless you want to wait until fall you better act fast to apply and sign up for the 1 credit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? alab21 9 2,151 03-25-2021, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mcorye91
  Straighterline CHEM 101 - General Chemistry lem5283 6 6,058 05-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Rubinamulla
  Are there any sources for Cell Biology, Biology I/II, Chem I/II, Organic Chem I/II? Pelican 4 1,571 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Saylor's Intro Chem. & Intro. to Molecular and Cellular Bio. no longer ACE-approved! Nightmoves5 10 2,297 06-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  SL: Chem Lab ******!!!! jadae@wgu.edu 25 3,612 05-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  Straighterline Chem Review jadae@wgu.edu 2 3,786 05-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  SL Chem II jadae@wgu.edu 1 872 04-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: dfrecore