Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need 6 UL classes to graduate
Hi everyone,

I need 6 UL classes to graduate with a BA in Liberal Arts from TESU.  What/where are my options, avoiding Saylor?  Thank you for any advice.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
Stick with TESU - it'll be cheaper/easier/faster and the main thing is "better" as you will not need to waste time studying for UL exams, those UExcels or TECEPS would be harder than taking these courses that I recommend below. Furthermore, you need to find the available time and manage it so you can complete this accordingly. Stick with the choices below... and decide which one would be best for you.

For Study.com and StraighterLine, these are the recommended courses from me.
The reasons I would go for them is because of the ability to pass is easier/faster.
Study.com quizzes are 33%, final exam 66% of the grade, you need at least 56% on final to pass.
Straighterline exams/midterm are ~70% of the grade, you just need a few more % for the final.

Study - English 305: Advanced Technical Writing >> TESU ENG-306 : Intermediate Technical Writing
Study - History 306: The American Civil War Era >> TESU HIS-450 : The American Civil War Era
Study - History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War >> TESU HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War
Straighterline: Business 105 Business Communications >> TESU COM-300 Business Communications (also a Lib Arts Comm course)
Straighterline: Business 120 Organizational Behavior >> TESU MAN-311 Organizational Behavior (also a Lib Arts Psych course)

For the price, Shmoop English/Literature courses are the cheapest, if you can handle them.
The 5 that are UL according to previous transfers mentioned on the board are:
These are non proctored, please create a pdf/word doc & use open book resources for tests.

*Holocaust Literature (ENG-301) - This is a hard course to pass
*Highly recommend ENG 306 - Technical Writing as it's much easier
Literature in the Media (LIT-430)
Modernist Literature (LIT-399)
Shakespeare's Plays (LIT-320)
Women's Literature (LIT-323)

So, if you want to use Shmoop, try to finish those 5 courses plus any additional electives you need.
In total, for Shmoop it would only cost you a whopping $88/month, if you can finish in a month.
Study.com - Try to finish in a month as well for those courses, as the HIS courses have overlap.
In total for Study.com, it should only be $270 for three courses in that one month.
StraighterLine, it's $100 membership and $59/course, you can finish these also in a month.
My suggestion, do the capstone while you're doing these courses, so you can finish everything at once (3 months).
If you find it hard to complete these courses, first do SL, then Study.com, finish with the capstone by itself.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • collegechick, MSK9, Murdockb, scout2family
(01-25-2018, 01:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Stick with TESU - it'll be cheaper/easier/faster and the main thing is "better" as you will not need to waste time studying for UL exams, those UExcels or TECEPS would be harder than taking these courses that I recommend below.  Furthermore, you need to find the available time and manage it so you can complete this accordingly.  Stick with the choices below... and decide which one would be best for you.

The reasons I would go for them is because of the ability to pass is easier/faster.
Study.com quizzes are 33%, final exam 66% of the grade, you need at least 56% on final to pass.
Straighterline exams/midterm are ~70% of the grade, you just need a few more % for the final.

Study - English 305: Advanced Technical Writing >> TESU ENG-306 : Intermediate Technical Writing
Study - History 306: The American Civil War Era >> TESU HIS-450 : The American Civil War Era
Study - History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War >> TESU HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War
Straighterline: Business 105 Business Communications >> TESU COM-300 Business Communications (also a Lib Arts Comm course)
Straighterline: Business 120 Organizational Behavior >> TESU MAN-311 Organizational Behavior (also a Lib Arts Psych course)

For the price, Shmoop English/Literature courses are the cheapest, if you can handle them.
These are non proctored, please create a pdf/word doc & use open book resources for tests.

So, if you want to use Shmoop, try to finish those 5 courses plus any additional electives you need.
In total, for Shmoop it would only cost you a whopping $88/month, if you can finish in a month.
Study.com - Try to finish in a month as well for those courses, as the HIS courses have overlap.
In total for Study.com, it should only be $270 for three courses in that one month.
StraighterLine, it's $100 membership and $59/course, you can finish these also in a month.
My suggestion, do the capstone while you're doing these courses, so you can finish everything at once (3 months).
If you find it hard to complete these courses, first do SL, then Study.com, finish with the capstone by itself.

Where did you find the list of all the Upper Level courses on these sites?  While I appreciate the suggestions, many of those classes are of no interest to me.  Just curious where I can see lists of available upper level courses to pick from?  Thank you for your help!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
(01-25-2018, 01:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Stick with TESU - it'll be cheaper/easier/faster and the main thing is "better" as you will not need to waste time studying for UL exams, those UExcels or TECEPS would be harder than taking these courses that I recommend below.  Furthermore, you need to find the available time and manage it so you can complete this accordingly.  Stick with the choices below... and decide which one would be best for you.

Also, if you do at least one month with Study.com (2 courses) you can get the partnership discounts - https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • collegechick, Study.com
Thank you Allvia and BJ for all your help.  That seems like a good deal, being I need to fulfill my civic engagement, ethics and Info Lit category.  I've also decided to continue on at TESU.
Shmoop is prob the way to go. Its certainly the cheapest. If not them I would do Study.com
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(01-25-2018, 02:53 PM)collegechick Wrote: Where did you find the list of all the Upper Level courses on these sites?  While I appreciate the suggestions, many of those classes are of no interest to me.  Just curious where I can see lists of available upper level courses to pick from?  Thank you for your help!

There is no "list" of all of the UL courses available.  You can go onto ACE and check to see which courses are UL.

But some of us here on this forum keep a list of courses, I personally have an Excel spreadsheet that is 1300+ lines long.  I update it based on what people here report when courses are transferred to TESU.

I started years ago with a few course providers, put in the course info for each, looked them all up on ACE/NCCRS to see what the recommendation was, and then went from there, adding notes and TESU course equivalencies as I read about them.  As more course providers came on board, those were added as well.

I don't publish it, because it is literally constantly changing.  I probably change things at minimum once a week, and sometimes more often.  It's fairly time-consuming.   I know others on here have their own lists as well.

Asking for a list of ALL UL courses is asking for too much (there are WAY too many to list).  Instead, you can ask some specific questions, and people will throw stuff out there.  Like, "I enjoy Shmoop, what are the UL courses there?" or "I would like some UL Psych courses" or "What UL History courses will satisfy TESU's requirements for a History degree?"
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • collegechick, Study.com
(01-26-2018, 01:03 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't publish it, because it is literally constantly changing.  I probably change things at minimum once a week, and sometimes more often.  It's fairly time-consuming.   I know others on here have their own lists as well.

You know what would be fantastic? If others could have "read-only" access to this lovely list, possibly in the iCloud or ?! I'm sure it's a plethora of information and I would love to *drool* over it for the next few weeks, if not months!! I know it's always changing, etc. I personally wished there was ONE database with ALL of the institutions and classes and equivalencies. I've spent months on here, combing thru the information in an attempt to put a degree plan together for myself and my husband. I'm pretty sure my hair has since thinned and I don't sleep anymore.  Big Grin
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes scout2family's post:
  • collegechick
(01-26-2018, 01:25 AM)scout2family Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 01:03 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't publish it, because it is literally constantly changing.  I probably change things at minimum once a week, and sometimes more often.  It's fairly time-consuming.   I know others on here have their own lists as well.

You know what would be fantastic? If others could have "read-only" access to this lovely list, possibly in the iCloud or ?! I'm sure it's a plethora of information and I would love to *drool* over it for the next few weeks, if not months!! I know it's always changing, etc. I personally wished there was ONE database with ALL of the institutions and classes and equivalencies. I've spent months on here, combing thru the information in an attempt to put a degree plan together for myself and my husband. I'm pretty sure my hair has since thinned and I don't sleep anymore.  Big Grin

I make degree plans for free, and others help give advice on classes, so it's a pretty easy process to get a degree plan for each of you.  I will give some thought to putting my course list out there for everyone to see.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • collegechick
(01-25-2018, 01:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Study - English 305: Advanced Technical Writing >> TESU ENG-306 : Intermediate Technical Writing

@collegechick, I believe the Eng 105 and History 308 became LL on January 1st, as described in this thread. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...pid=243093

I don't know about the others.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • collegechick

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 438 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 652 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do classes from Study.com & Sophia.org appear on Studentclearinghouse.org if... UMPI CanICode 9 1,162 10-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 740 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What order to take classes in using Sophia ltw900rr 12 1,890 09-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Taking 23 classes at Sophia in one month, is that possible? elcastor21 13 2,175 08-31-2023, 10:48 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,864 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  5 Study.com Classes EXPIRING 4/30 smarterby1degree 13 2,219 05-19-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Looking for specific classes!! Caecal07 3 504 05-11-2023, 11:59 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Last classes at study.com jakill2 2 655 02-23-2023, 09:50 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree