Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Bachelors in 6 Months...Options?
Hi all,

I find myself in a bit of a unique situation, so I thought I'd ask the advice of the collective.

I have spent most of the past 17 years in HR , mostly with smaller companies, mostly as a Generalist and Analyst. I finish a short term contract at Intel in 2 weeks, and for the first time in many years, I will find myself unemployed.

I've been trying to find a permanent job for 7 months, and in that time, the only offer I've had was for less money than I made in 2011. This seems to be due to my lack of a degree, which increasingly, is become a major liability in my career, despite plenty of experience.

I have 65 semester units completed, all earned between 1988-1997 (completed at RA 2 and 4 year colleges). These units cover a lot of my General Ed (minus math and science), a lot of history/psychology, and a pair of upper-division History courses. I don't have my Associates Degree, and I also don't have any HR Certifications (PHR, SRHM-CP)

What I do have is 6 months of eligibility for UI benefits coming up. So this is starting to feel like the right time to dive in and get that degree that, more and more, is causing my career to stall out (or even go backwards).

I've read endlessly about the Big 3, and testing out of classes. But as much as I read, I just can't quite seem to put together a plan of how to use one of the Big 3 to complete a degree (Business or HR) within this 6 month window. I know it would largely need to be done via CLEP, DSST, UEXCEL etc., but I just don't quite get it how to put it all together.

I hate to ask, because I know it's plastered all over this forum, but can I ask for help with two questions?

1. Is there any particular advantage for one specific Big 3 school over the others, based on what I've described above?

2. In the simplest possible terms (I have my strengths, but figuring this stuff out isn't among them :o ), how can I use testing to complete those 55 units in 6 months?

I'm happy to provide any additional information that's needed.

Thanks!!
This may be possible for you to do, depending on how fast you can take and pass tests. It took me longer, but for my major it wasn't possible to test out of everything, and I did it part time...and if I had gotten more help here, I probably could have sped it up. There are other people who can jump in and help you pick a major and make a detailed plan, which I can't do. As far as advantages from one of the Big3 to another, it depends on which degree you want and your existing credits and how they transfer. Since you're in a hurry, I'd recommend applying to all three (or at least TESU and COSC) and get all your transcripts on their way to the schools. It takes time for them to arrive and for the schools to evaluate them. Meanwhile, post the details of the credits you have here, and tell us what degrees would work for your career goals. Then people can help figure out what tests/courses you can start knocking out while waiting to hear back from the schools.

This is going to be an exciting time!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:Meanwhile, post the details of the credits you have here, and tell us what degrees would work for your career goals. Then people can help figure out what tests/courses you can start knocking out while waiting to hear back from the schools.

This is going to be an exciting time!

Thank you so much! Excited and terrified at the same time...lol. I'm not even going to pretend that I can remember courses from 28 years ago, so I'll wait until tonight when I can dig out my transcripts to post all completed coursework.

Since I've been in HR for 17 years, and it looks like I'm going to stay there (can't seem to come up with anything else I'd rather do more), a degree in HRM (Human Resource Management) is probably my most direct, linear solution.

I could also just go for a more general Business degree. My previous units are a little Social Science/Psychology heavy, and Psych is one of the few educational areas I have a huge interest in, so a Psychology degree isn't out of the realm of possibility either. (With my experience, my degree is more of a "checkbox" and only about 1 out of 10 HR jobs I see posted specifically want a Business or HRM Degree.)

I'm also missing just enough GE that I can dive into those for the first month or so - giving me a total of about 6 weeks of lead time to see how the Big 3 potentially evaluate my existing credits.
This is a totally doable plan!

The easiest and fastest (and probably cheapest) will be the TESU BSBA in HR or General Management, mostly because you can test out of the Capstone (vs. having to take a 3-month Capstone through any other degree plan there). The main issue is going to be the Cornerstone, which will become a requirement at TESU starting on May 25, and I'm guessing you're going to have to take it. But don't panic, just know that going in, and get ready to sign up and take it first thing before you do anything else. I'm not sure how they're going to structure it, but I'm hoping it's not a 3-month course, but instead self-study or some shorter timeframe since it's only a 1cr course.

I can help you come up with a plan, as I am getting that degree myself, and I love degree planning (boy do I wish that was a job that paid well!). Post all of your previous courses taken by school (makes a difference if it's a CC or 4-yr college), number of credits you received, and also any grades less than a C (even a C- matters, since some courses will not transfer in with a C- or lower).

Also, would you rather test (CLEP/DSST/UExcel) or take courses (Straighterline, Sophia, Penn Foster)? This will make a difference.

Here's a link to some of the options, although you will start to get very specific requirements that won't be able to be taken everywhere. Post #3: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ree-2.html
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:This is a totally doable plan!

The easiest and fastest (and probably cheapest) will be the TESU BSBA in HR or General Management, mostly because you can test out of the Capstone (vs. having to take a 3-month Capstone through any other degree plan there). The main issue is going to be the Cornerstone, which will become a requirement at TESU starting on May 25, and I'm guessing you're going to have to take it. But don't panic, just know that going in, and get ready to sign up and take it first thing before you do anything else. I'm not sure how they're going to structure it, but I'm hoping it's not a 3-month course, but instead self-study or some shorter timeframe since it's only a 1cr course.

I can help you come up with a plan, as I am getting that degree myself, and I love degree planning (boy do I wish that was a job that paid well!). Post all of your previous courses taken by school (makes a difference if it's a CC or 4-yr college), number of credits you received, and also any grades less than a C (even a C- matters, since some courses will not transfer in with a C- or lower).

Also, would you rather test (CLEP/DSST/UExcel) or take courses (Straighterline, Sophia, Penn Foster)? This will make a difference.

Here's a link to some of the options, although you will start to get very specific requirements that won't be able to be taken everywhere. Post #3: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ree-2.html

Holy cow! That's pretty much *exactly* what I've been looking for. Thank you so much!! :hurray:

I appreciate the heads up on the Cornerstone. Looks like I need to get the ball rolling *fast* if I want to do this. I'd be thrilled to have some help coming up with a plan, as that is definitely a weak spot of mine.

One thing I just thought of...since I have to take the Cornerstone, which means taking a class in residence, would that make me eligible for Financial Aid? I don't need much, and I can probably come up with what I'll need via other methods if necessary. Just curious about that one...

As soon as I get home, I'll post up my transcripts (ugh...the Fall 88 / Spring 89 ones are really embarrassing...18 year old kid whose parents essentially forced him to go to college when he really needed a year off, and the results show it. I have a Blutarsky GPA for the Fall 88 semester - 0.0) Sad

Thankfully, I pulled my head out of my nether-regions after that, but it was an ugly start that in many ways, prevented me from finishing a degree when I was much younger.
dfrecore Wrote:.... I'm not sure how they're going to structure it, but I'm hoping it's not a 3-month course, but instead self-study or some shorter timeframe since it's only a 1cr course. ...
I'm expecting they'll handle it the way they do their 1 cr. PLA-100 course. PLA-100 is simply put on a 4-week "term" instead of a 12 week term. The same with the 2 cr. PLA-200 which was an 8-week term.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Okay...transcripts....here we go.

4 year universities

California State University, Fresno - 15 units
  • NAS 50 - Native American Studies - Grade: C - 3 units
  • Natural Science 4 - Critical Thinking: Science Vs. Nonsense - Grade: B - 3 units
  • Drama 62 - Introduction to Shakespeare - Grade: A - 3 units
  • History 2 - Western Civilization II (from 1650) - Grade: B - 3 units
  • Psych 36 - Intro to Psychophysiology - Grade: B - 3 units

University of Nevada, Reno - 9 units
  • English 102 - Composition II - Grade: A - 3 units
  • History 412 - Revolutionary America 1750-1865 - Grade: A- - 3 units
  • Music 121 - Music Appreciation - Grade A - 3 units

Morehead State University - 9 units
  • History 220 - Early American History - Grade: A - 3 units
  • History 351 - England to 1660 - Grade: A - 3 units
  • History 379 - History of Latin America - Grade: A - 3 units

2 year community colleges

San Joaquin Delta College - 29 units
  • Psych 21 - Childhood Development - Grade: A - 3 units
  • History 17B - History of the US (since 1865) - Grade: A - 3 units
  • English 1A - Written Communications I - Grade: A - 3 units
  • Geography 1 - Physical Geography - Grade: A - 3 units
  • Humanities 14A - Great Religions of the Eastern World - Grade: B - 3 units
  • Political Science 1 - American Government & Institutions - Grade: A - 3 units
  • Psych 22 - Adolescent Development - Grade: B - 3 units
  • Political Science 10 - Introduction to Political Science - Grade: A - 3 units
  • Psych 20 - Stress Management - Grade: B - 1 unit
  • Computer Science 11 - Computer Science Fundamentals - Grade: B - 3 units

Fresno City College - 3 units
  • Psych 7 - General Psychology - Grade: A - 3 units

Sierra College - 4 units
  • Psych 30 - Human Sexuality - Grade: D - 3 units
  • Geography 16E - Field Geography - Grade: A - 1 unit

That actually comes out to 68 units, but I'm not sure I can use the one with the 'D', so I've always considered it to be 65 usable units.

As far as testing vs. courses, I think I'd lean more toward testing (CLEP, DSST, etc.). But if a test isn't an option, I could definitely jump into a short course.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks! Smile
Ok, I put together a plan for you. Yes, at TESU they will bring in a D grade as long as it's not English or in the AOS. But, you are way over on the number of courses you need for the degree, so it doesn't matter much.

If I were you, I would start with Gen Ed, just because I think it will be a little easier that way (and cheaper):

1) Create an ACE account so you can send your courses over

2) Go take the Insurance Ethics course (free): Preserve the trust on which insurance transactions are based with an understanding of ethics

3) Create an ALEKS account and start on Intermediate Algebra (or Beginning Algebra if you need to, but it won't count for credit) - you will need College Algebra and Stats, plus another math course, so it may as well be Intermediate Algebra. $20/mo - if you need additional help, you can learn on Khan Academy for free. As you complete each ALEKS course, request it to be added to your ACE account (through ACE), wait for it to show up, then log into your master account and switch the student account to the next level math.

4) Take the Public Speaking DSST and the Tech Writing DSST OR A&I Literature CLEP

5) Take 1 additional science course - I would take The Science of Nutrition

6) At this point, I would sign up for SL to take some courses - which you will want to do all at once, since you pay a monthly membership fee. I would take everything that I could this way, and get as many done in as short a time as possible. Many people plow through multiple courses in a single month this way.

7) If you want to use Study.com, you should plan at least 2 courses in a month, since you pay $199/mo and it includes 2 courses. You have to go through the course, but the grade is entirely dependent upon the proctored final exam. Good reviews on this forum for study.com.

8) Micro and Macroecon are both very long through SL, it's up to you if you'd rather just study for the CLEP exams instead (or Saylor, Sophia, JumpCourse, Propero, etc.). I might consider doing a little studying and then taking the Saylor exams to see how you do, they're $25 each, so you don't lose much if you fail and have to go on to take them another way.

9) For the Area of Study, I had you taking 3 PF courses. This is not 100% necessary, but I chose HR courses that will probably be the most familiar/easiest to you since you already work in HR. There are other choices if you want to do something else. Their courses are easier than some other options, and many people like them. You can also take Finance this way (Financial Management) instead of the DSST exam.

Take like courses together: both econs concurrently/consecutively, accounting courses in the same way, Finance after accounting & econ, remaining management courses near each other - there will be lots of overlap this way, helping you to get through each subsequent course more quickly.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">nodaclue TESC 2017 BSBA HR.xlsx (Size: 78.72 KB / Downloads: 7)
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ISKBizz15
dfrecore Wrote:Ok, I put together a plan for you.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Wow...I don't even know what to say. Thank you so much for putting all of that together! If there's any way I can return the favor please let me know.

I didn't know about the $2,000 Residency Waiver Fee. That puts a bit of a kink in things. But I think I can figure out a way...

Okay, I can do this! Time to get to work. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress as I go along.
Nodaclu Wrote:I didn't know about the $2,000 Residency Waiver Fee. That puts a bit of a kink in things. But I think I can figure out a way...

Worry about the residency fee AFTER you've finished your coursework. Put a little money away each month for it, but seriously, just get moving on the path. After that, the fee won't seem as big of a deal, since you will have all of the requirements you need to graduate by then. Small hurdle...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 268 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,576 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 863 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 309 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,514 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 690 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,489 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 628 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,084 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pathophysiology options? allvia 12 1,909 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: allvia