Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Bachelors in 6 Months...Options?
Nodaclu Wrote:That helps a ton, thanks! I've been freaking out about how in the world I'd manage to pass the math portion of getting a degree for MANY years now. It's really held me back. But there are so many available study options now. Between that, and what you just wrote, I feel a lot better. Smile

I've updated my plan for a BA in Psych from TESU. Thank you for the link to your plan jsd! Between you and dfrecore, I think I might be getting the hang of this.

The 7 units I have to take through TESU (Cornerstone, Capstone, and Social Science Ethics) just kills my budget. Otherwise, this would be an insanely cheap degree to obtain.

Math has been my nemesis too:p It's exciting that things are finally coming along for you!
I was looking at your plan, and am wondering how you got to $900 for some of your TESU courses, and then I figured out you must be in-state tuition, lol.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
jsd Wrote:I ended up taking the (behavioral science-) stats class at my local community college for cheap and got an A+

I guess I should point out that i live in California, and the consensus of this board is that california community college courses are cheaper than most alternatives, your mileage may vary.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:I guess I should point out that i live in California, and the consensus of this board is that california community college courses are cheaper than most alternatives, your mileage may vary.

That's a good point. Our local CC is around $168/cr which is considered very reasonable around here -- but the NM CC costs make it look expensive.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Unless I'm way out if touch since my last california CC course... per credit fee for residents is $46/cr (plus tech/health/lab/whatever fee), so maybe I take my great state for granted?

One of many reasons I'll never leave.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Unless I'm way out if touch since my last california CC course... per credit fee for residents is $46/cr (plus tech/health/lab/whatever fee), so maybe I take my great state for granted?

Yeah, that's very cheap!
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

OP, you might consider a BA in Social Science. You could just take the Organizational Behavior or Fundamentals of Counseling DSST to complete the courses in the concentration. That way you would use all your credits without stressing over the math.

The classes in your major would be something like this:

100: PSY-7 General Psychology
100: POLS-10 Intro to Political Science
200: HIS-220 Early American History
200: PSY-21 Childhood Development
200: PSY-22 Adolescent Development
UL: HIS-412 Revolutionary America (1750-1865)
UL: HIS-351 England to 1660
UL: HIS-379 History of Latin America
UL: PSY-36 - Intro to Psychophysiology
UL: Need DSST Organizational Behavior as PSY-361
UL: LIB-495 Capstone

You wouldn't need the stats or higher math.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
jsd Wrote:Unless I'm way out if touch since my last california CC course... per credit fee for residents is $46/cr (plus tech/health/lab/whatever fee), so maybe I take my great state for granted?

I love the cheap college too jsd, but we pay for it in MANY other ways...like the fact that it's difficult for in-state students to get accepted to UC schools anymore because they are addicted to the money that comes from out-of-state and international students. Or the fact that it's damn near impossible for anyone to graduate in 4 years because schools are so impacted you can't get classes you need to graduate. I have friends whose kids are at state colleges and have to take classes they don't need just to stay above 12cr they need for financial aid, but then have to come home and take CC courses in the summer to try to get the classes they DO need. Or they take a course online for much more than they should pay, just to get a requirement. It's ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and let's not mention the high taxes we pay to offset the cheap CC fees!

But I love it here too, I'm addicted to the great weather...will not be happy when we have to flee the state someday...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It's true that California Community Colleges are pretty cheap, and it's also true that classes can be incredibly difficult to get into. It also ties me to only being able to start classes in August or January each year.

And in this case, I'll be doing most of my units for an lower price. The Study.com classes come out to just a hair over $25/unit if I bulk up on them in the way that I have.

A BA in Social Science is an interesting prospect, but there's one additional piece I've left out. I'm also a Clinical Hypnotherapist, and there's a chance that I'll branch off into a career doing that instead of going back to HR. Because of that, I think a Psychology degree might be the best option as I try to navigate right down the middle of this. That degree would conceivably work no matter which direction I go. The study of why people do what they do works well in both fields.

And on top of that....it's personal with that damn statistics class now...lol. I feel like I need to take on that mountain, and climb to the summit. Smile
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I wanted to see if I could build a Psychology degree program from scratch for COSC (using dfrecore's plan as a model).

What I found was interesting, to say the least. If I've done it right, the total cost ends up being somewhere in the vicinity of $1,500 - $1,700 less than TESU.

Can you guys take a look at this one, and see if I've missed anything obvious?

.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">nodaclu COSC 2017 BA PSYCH.xlsx (Size: 24.03 KB / Downloads: 2)

Also, there's one class I've had a little trouble finding - a science class with a lab component. As mentioned previously, math and science are my weak points, so I'd like to find the easiest one available - even if it isn't the cheapest.

Can anyone make any suggestions on that one?

This whole process has been HUGELY educational. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed. Smile
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
Once you get into a degree at TESU where the are significant requirements, then it may be cheaper to go to COSC. CJ would be another one. The more "generic" degrees at TESU (BALS, SocSci, Humanities, NatSci & Math, BSBA) are cheaper at TESU.

Here are the only issues I see, others who know COSC better may be able to help more.

1) study.com does not have an ACE-approved Public Speaking course
2) study.com's Civil War exam is not UL
3) take College Math instead of College Algebra if you want an easier course and if it's allowed
4) Easiest science + lab (not cheapest) is any Intro to Nutrition course, and then the Nutrition lab at Rio Salado College - make sure you choose the correct one where you download software and then use it to create a personal food journal (Introductory Nutrition Lab is the one I think).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 291 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,715 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 866 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 312 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,533 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 701 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,521 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 635 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,092 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pathophysiology options? allvia 12 1,919 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: allvia