Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Career Advice/To Vent
Tedium Wrote:I did the phone interview and I was selected to go on to the face-to-face the next day. That was last Thursday, so I'm still waiting to hear back. If I get a call and a letter, that means I made it. If I just get the letter, I didn't. The only problem is that I forgot to ask when I should expect to hear back either way. banghead ...
Don't let that bother you. Unasked questions are just a good excuse to reach back out to the hiring manager. In my book almost any extra interaction serves to keep you in their radar.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Congratulations on making it this far, that is an accomplishment!
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
I did not get the state job, but I'm not that bummed out. First, I'm proud of myself for making it to the final three applicants. Second, a general manager of a local branded hotel contacted me on linkedin saying he had seen my resume and asking me to apply for an assistant general manager position he had at his hotel, which would be an upward move for me. Salary, benefits, possible tuition assistance. Said he would start interviewing next week or the week after, so I'll get all of the specifics then. :hurray:

I feel more confident about this opportunity than I did about the last one. I've been in the hotels for almost seven years, so I am comfortable that I know how to sell my worth in the industry. I know I talk a lot of negativity about the industry, but three close friends that work in hotels say that this guy is one of the best GMs in the area and that they loved working with him, so I'm hoping for a better experience.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Maybe give a little hope to those of you looking for jobs out there. One door closes and another one opens.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Tedium - very happy to hear about the AM opportunity...hope it works out for you.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
Tedium Wrote:I did not get the state job, but I'm not that bummed out. First, I'm proud of myself for making it to the final three applicants. Second, a general manager of a local branded hotel contacted me on linkedin saying he had seen my resume and asking me to apply for an assistant general manager position he had at his hotel, which would be an upward move for me. Salary, benefits, possible tuition assistance. Said he would start interviewing next week or the week after, so I'll get all of the specifics then. :hurray:

I feel more confident about this opportunity than I did about the last one. I've been in the hotels for almost seven years, so I am comfortable that I know how to sell my worth in the industry. I know I talk a lot of negativity about the industry, but three close friends that work in hotels say that this guy is one of the best GMs in the area and that they loved working with him, so I'm hoping for a better experience.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Maybe give a little hope to those of you looking for jobs out there. One door closes and another one opens.

Congratulations! That sounds like a fantastic opportunity. As they say, when one door closes, another one opens. Wink
Even though one door closed, another one opened. Good for you and good luck!

ETA: Ha ha, just saw what cookderosa wrote. 😋
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
And,

now you have some more experience in the hiring process, and should a next time occur, you'll be even more ready for the task!

... I will throw one more thing in there, in case someone else reads this thread: a big thing is age and where you are at in life. If you don't have a great deal of responsibility (kids, mortgage, etc), there's nothing wrong with some adventure time.

I know several people who have regrets. Don't necessarily blow by an opportunity because you are in a steady place, in my opinion.

I think my Dad was the last generation of one job>retire type of employment history. I don't think in 2016, job hopping is as big a taboo as it once was, especially if you can show it was to improve yourself, get a new experience, or better your working arrangement (benefits, etc.)

Anyway, hope that last offer worked out for you!

High Order
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 23 1,671 Today, 07:17 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,415 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 568 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,145 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 411 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,149 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 704 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  How to Evaluate Advice (Before Using It) Kal Di 2 784 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 702 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 785 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di