Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help Evaluating this plan for BS Liberal Arts Excelsior
Hey guys,
i'm about to finish my CCAF and i'm looking to use it towards getting a BS in Liberal Arts this is my first rough draft so be gentle lol
this is what i believe i need to take and wanted to run it by the pros
I know i can CLEP and DSST most of it.

Thank you for the Help.

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts from Excelsior.docx (Size: 13.77 KB / Downloads: 6)
this is the requirements after i transfer my CCAF

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">AU_ABC_ExcelsiorCollege_CCAF_BS_Liberal_Arts_Area_of_Focus_Degree_Plan.pdf (Size: 86.06 KB / Downloads: 2)
ajv254 Wrote:this is the requirements after i transfer my CCAF

Have you gotten an evaluation done by the school yet? I'm curious to know what they are going to stick you in. I sent my CCAF transcript along with the transcripts of 3 other schools I have attended and I am hoping that they reconcile every class I've taken with a course that they offer to allow me to finish via CLEPs/DSSTs by the end of the year.
Unfortunately, Excelsior won't accept the CLEP for English Composition. The easiest way to complete English Comp II is to go through Straighterline or Tor College Credits dot com.

Frankly I am not sure if Excelsior will accept all the DSSTs you have listed as UL credit (Here's to Your Health, for example), but perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Thank you for your service!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
A lot of the CLEP & DSST exams have changed recently in what they're counted for. How Excelsior is likely to apply them depends in part on whether you already took them under the old evaluation standards, or if you haven't taken them yet. Sometimes Excelsior is slow to adopt the new standards - you should check with your advisor.

A&I Lit is only worth 3 credits now.

The Astronomy DSST exam has a pass rate of something around 10% ever since it was redone. You may want to take something else - it's no longer an easy pass exam.

DSST Criminal Justice is now worth 6 lower level credits (but Intro to Law Enforcement was upgraded to upper division).

I believe that both DSST Management Information Systems and Here's to Your Health are lower level now.

DSST Intro to Computing and CLEP Info Systems are considered duplicates by most colleges - I'm not sure what Excelsior's view is.

Some upper level exams that are not on your list: DSST A History of the Vietnam War, and DSST Cybersecurity.

Also, I believe someone already mentioned that Excelsior doesn't accept CLEP English Composition. Their in house English exams are very comparable though.

If you're short upper division credits, Excelsior exams are a pretty good option - for the ones with practice tests, I've used those as my sole study resource (read the questions and answers) and passed easily.

Also, you may want to see what your residency requirement is (if any). I believe they require a certain number of credits to be taken in house if you're using their military enrollment discount - but Excelsior exams count toward that quota. Just something to consider.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
ajv254 Wrote:Hey guys,
i'm about to finish my CCAF and i'm looking to use it towards getting a BS in Liberal Arts this is my first rough draft so be gentle lol
this is what i believe i need to take and wanted to run it by the pros
I know i can CLEP and DSST most of it.

Thank you for the Help.

What AFSC are you in? You might be able to get a more focused degree through one of the Big 3 that's more in line with your expertise. Nothing wrong with a LS degree, but employers tend to prefer some type of focus.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU MNomadic 13 9,515 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  65,000 military students have graduated with Excelsior College Life Long Learning 0 2,649 09-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU instead of Excelsior Srbinoki 6 3,336 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Evaluating JST Transcripts Iamtehking 6 2,275 12-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Last Post: morig
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,623 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Excelsior college credit by exam elprrrrr5 1 1,405 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,970 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  Any 68W or 27D going to Excelsior? jhobb018 2 973 09-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Advice on degree plan Joditd 1 932 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Joditd
  Unable to get a straight answer from Excelsior about 9/11 GI Bill andy3000 7 1,637 04-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dewisant