Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help With Degree Planning
Hello everyone,

I am an international student. I can't physically attend campus courses for health reasons, and unfortunately, there is no online degree program in my country. To be honest, finding this forum is like finding a life save haha...

I plan to finish my bachelor's degree in 2-3 years, I prefer a major in math, physics, sociology, psychology, etc., but I'm still open to any other major. 

I have 3 questions about my degree plan, hope someone can help me.

1. The first question is about school recommendations; I have two requirements for my final graduate school, meet anyone will be ok. A reputation public university or has the same diploma as the campus student (not like Purdue Global). Btw, my total budget for a bachelor's degree is about 30k-40k USD.

My current school list is University of Florida, University of Michigan Flint, Arkansas State University, and Arizona State University.

2. I plan to get some cheap RA credits through ONU's your way plan and transfer to my final degree school. Has anyone transferred ONU's credit to the University of Florida before? I see UF can transfer up to 90 credits, but I'm not sure whether they can accept credits from ONU.

Besides ONU, do you have any other sources to get cheap RA credits that can transfer to schools like University of Florida or the University of Michigan, Flint.

3. Arkansas State University and ASU seem to accept ACE credits. Does anyone have any experience transferring them successfully?

I've been studying the forums for a week and am still a little confused about my degree plan and don't know where to start as a first step

Thank you all for your help!
The state schools you've chosen are NOT cheap. You could probably get multiple degrees from the schools we usually recommend for the same cost as attending just a single year, as an international student, as the schools you've chosen.

The schools you've chosen don't actually, as far as I'm aware, allow much in the way of transferring courses into the degree. I'm not sure that $30-40k is sufficient, though I could be wrong. Like UoF may say that they accept up to 90 credits in transfer, but they might be very picky about exactly what courses are allowed.

I would also recommend steering clear of any Florida university right now. See posts in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ed-by-SACS

What country are you in?

BTW, with the exception of a few schools, I think that most universities have done away with the difference between online and in-person degrees. It's no longer printed on the degree whether you got your degree locally or on the internet. There are exceptions, of course, like Purdue Global.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-16-2022, 12:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The state schools you've chosen are NOT cheap. You could probably get multiple degrees from the schools we usually recommend for the same cost as attending just a single year, as an international student, as the schools you've chosen.

The schools you've chosen don't actually, as far as I'm aware, allow much in the way of transferring courses into the degree. I'm not sure that $30-40k is sufficient, though I could be wrong. Like UoF may say that they accept up to 90 credits in transfer, but they might be very picky about exactly what courses are allowed.

I would also recommend steering clear of any Florida university right now. See posts in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ed-by-SACS

What country are you in?

BTW, with the exception of a few schools, I think that most universities have done away with the difference between online and in-person degrees. It's no longer printed on the degree whether you got your degree locally or on the internet. There are exceptions, of course, like Purdue Global.
Thanks! I'm Japanese but currently living China with my parents, China has some online degree program but only open to Chinese people.
Hmm... too bad you're not living in Japan now. There is a public CLEP exam location in Tokyo. China has none (public or military).

Are you wanting to get a Master's degree? If so, do you know what or from where?
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(05-16-2022, 12:55 PM)ErGoAZTuck Wrote: Thanks! I'm Japanese but currently living China with my parents, China has some online degree program but only open to Chinese people.

Do you use a VPN? Many (most? all?) online exam providers won't work with a VPN. You also need to be careful about if the school uses GSuite, because I know China and Google have a contentious relationship...
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(05-16-2022, 01:13 PM)Flelm Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 12:55 PM)ErGoAZTuck Wrote: Thanks! I'm Japanese but currently living China with my parents, China has some online degree program but only open to Chinese people.

Do you use a VPN? Many (most? all?) online exam providers won't work with a VPN. You also need to be careful about if the school uses GSuite, because I know China and Google have a contentious relationship...

Yes, Google needs VPN in China, and most education webiste doesn't need vpn here.

(05-16-2022, 01:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Hmm... too bad you're not living in Japan now. There is a public CLEP exam location in Tokyo. China has none (public or military).

Are you wanting to get a Master's degree? If so, do you know what or from where?

Yes, I want to get a Master's degree, for now, I am thinking about OMSCS in Gatech and OMCIT in Upenn
[-] The following 1 user Likes ErGoAZTuck's post:
  • Flelm
For 30k-40k USD, you can get a Bachelors/Masters combo at a public/state university. I assume you're looking for "higher/top ranking" public/state research universities... In the grad section, most of the schools I recommend are just that, Public/State Masters options... You should add Georgia Tech, U of Texas - Austin and a few others such as NYU to the list as first choices and the ones you mentioned as "backup". Last but not least, please provide a bit more details from the template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In that case, you could get a Math degree from TESU. Possibly a Math + Computer Science degree. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan And https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan if you want Computer Science.

TESU is a state school, and it does not print on the degree that you earned it online.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(05-16-2022, 01:13 PM)Flelm Wrote:

For what it's worth, I almost always use a VPN. And I haven't had any issues accessing content that weren't resolved by reconnecting to a different server location. It probably depends on the exact VPN being used, though.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
You don't say what field you're specifically looking at for a degree. Have you looked at UMPI? It's one of the University of Maine universities. The on campus and online degrees through YourPace do not say anything about being completed online. Many UMPI grads have moved onto numerous grad schools for their master's and doctorate degrees. With UMPI, you'll have plenty of funds left for grad school.

https://online.umpi.edu/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 165 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 144 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,750 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 207 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,560 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 216 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 628 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,129 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 256 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,213 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK