Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with Degree Plan for Big 3
Need a degree plan or spreadsheet and help on where I should go and where my current classes best fit....

I've a few things that impact this:
  • I turn 18 next year Aug 2020; I'm worried about the college degree programs changing twice before I can enroll.

• I don't want to take the Accuplacer at all.

• I don't want to enroll in another math course at all.

• I want to use my ALEKS math class on my ACE transcript. This class was a pain. 

• I would like to major in History, Archaeology, or Anthropology. 

• I found most Anthropology degrees can't be done online, so I'll settle for the other 2 for now, and try to get to the archaeology one day. 

• I've enrolled for HS.edu courses at ASU, biology with lab is my first class (RA). I plan to take more here to fulfill some of the RA requirements. 

• I might enroll in a TEL Learning class, just so I can have some RA classes on my transcripts for the TESU, EC, or COSC requirements; I under they vary and goes up to 24. 
  • I prefer to graduate sometime next year.

• I'm currently starting math from scratch (I have a learning disability and it's not been easy), but it'll l take me longer than everyone else to get to where I need to be. But I'm doing it so that one day, I won't have the threat of failing and not going being able to continue on when I want to get certain degrees. 

My classes from ACE is attached in the spreadsheet. If anyone could help me figure out these 3 schools. 

Thanks! 
samiam

Attached Files
.xlsx   SAMIAM_ACETRANSCRIPT_DEGREEPLANS.xlsx (Size: 93.01 KB / Downloads: 21)

Conferred AUG 2023 - AAS BOG, Business AoE, Pierpoint Community & Technical College

118 total RA & Alt credits from ONU, ASU, ACE (Aleks, SDC, SL, Sophia)

Applied in JAN 2024 to UMPI for MAR 2024 term (pending) | BA in HIS & POL SCI
[-] The following 1 user Likes samiam's post:
  • warriortaupou
What do you mean by hs.edu? Do you mean earned admissions or something else? ASUPrepdigital.org? 

Straight off, we can eliminate COSC. They don't have a history degree. They have a general studies degree with a history concentration which isn't really the same thing. I'm not sure what kind of job you're hoping to get but a job that is specifically looking for a history degree probably wouldn't like this degree. 

Excelsior is extremely fuzzy when it comes to degree requirements. This means that it's much, much harder to plan for an Excelsior degree. It's not impossible but you essentially have to hope that an Excelsior grad with a recent history degree is able to chime in.

TESU will be your best bet if you want to plan out your degree ahead of time so that you can graduate with most (or even all) of the degree completed. In order to enroll as soon as you've graduated HS & are 18, you're going to need 24 RA credits. The worst part of this degree is that (IIRC) it'll require either a TESU course or the DSST Soviet Union exam for non-western history. With your ALEKS course, you're good as far as math goes. 

Step 1 would be to go finish off the general eds you need from Sophia. Check the attached eval for where things go by default. At the very least, you should probably do English Comp II, Sociology, and Macro & Microeconomics. You can skip statistics & algebra because you've got enough math from ALEKS. ASU Biology 101 transfers in as BIO-113 so you could still take Sophia's biology and not have it overlap. 

OnlineDegree.com's HS103 transfers in as HIS-122 and doesn't overlap anything you've already taken. 

TESU requires 18 UL history credits. The capstone counts as 3 UL credits. This leaves 15 UL credits needed. Coopersmith has HIS301 and HIS302 that should count as UL credits - pretty sure HIS301 does but I don't know about HIS302. SDC has:
  • History 301: Historiography & Historical Methods
  • History 306: The American Civil War Era
  • History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War
  • History 311: The Holocaust & World War II
For RA credits, you've got Biology. Suggestions for a further 20 RA credits include:
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • samiam, warriortaupou
(09-28-2020, 02:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: What do you mean by hs.edu? Do you mean earned admissions or something else? ASUPrepdigital.org? 

Sorry, wrong one.

Do you have to be 18 and older for onlinedegree.com?
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
It's similar to EA. It's a new program I think offered to a select group of homeschoolers who are beta testers for their new program. 
I didn't know COSC didn't have a History major--thanks.
How do I figure out what is considered Upper level? I wonder if ASU has these.

Is Macro & Microeconomics required? I don't think I'm there yet. What does this fulfill? 

I hope someone has a History TESU template. 
Confused

Conferred AUG 2023 - AAS BOG, Business AoE, Pierpoint Community & Technical College

[-] The following 1 user Likes samiam's post:
  • warriortaupou
Somehow, the file that I attached didn't get attached. Try 2! Micro/macro economics at Sophia is (despite what it sounds like) mostly not math. TESU doesn't specifically require these courses but these are relatively easy ways to satisfy a portion of the GE requirements.

There's a plan from this year for TESU history in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-BA-in-History 

Do you have a link to the hs.edu courses/courses page? Because hs.edu doesn't actually exist. 

UL credits are anything that is 300 or 400 level. A course brought in to TESU as "HIS101" would not be UL but one brought in as "HIS302" would. I know ASU EA doesn't have UL credits at all and I don't think a HS program would have them either. They're for the last 2 years of a degree (assuming a 4-year degree).

Attached Files
.jpg   TESU Evaluation BA History Sept.4.2020.sm.jpg (Size: 371.22 KB / Downloads: 28)
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • samiam
(09-28-2020, 04:35 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Somehow, the file that I attached didn't get attached. Try 2! Micro/macro economics at Sophia is (despite what it sounds like) mostly not math. TESU doesn't specifically require these courses but these are relatively easy ways to satisfy a portion of the GE requirements.

There's a plan from this year for TESU history in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-BA-in-History 

Do you have a link to the hs.edu courses/courses page? Because hs.edu doesn't actually exist. 

UL credits are anything that is 300 or 400 level. A course brought in to TESU as "HIS101" would not be UL but one brought in as "HIS302" would. I know ASU EA doesn't have UL credits at all and I don't think a HS program would have them either. They're for the last 2 years of a degree (assuming a 4-year degree).

It's what the program is referred to. I log in the regular way bcoz I originally signed up for EA. They convert the account from EA to hs.edu somehow. I don't see anything different, other than when they transfer your account, you see the beta courses. I'm waiting on them to fix login issues.

(09-28-2020, 04:14 PM)samiam Wrote: I didn't know COSC didn't have a History major--thanks.

I'd urge you not to dismiss Charter Oak out of hand. They have a concentration in history, as seen here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...istory.php

They also have a concentration in Anthropology: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...pology.php

Does it matter that it's called a concentration rather than a major? Well, my Bachelor's is from Charter Oak, and I did their Information Systems Studies concentration. Want to know how many times it's come up in a job interview or grad school application that it was called a concentration rather than a major? In fifteen years, exactly zero times. It's been such a total non-issue that three of my four kids are going through Charter Oak, my eldest kid just finished the same degree that I did back in the day.

So, if you have a good reason to go with a different school, great, do what's best for you. But this would be a foolish reason to cross them off your list.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
It’s a beta test in the high school portal for 2 new self-paced lab sciences from ASU. Both are supposed to have fewer math requirements. They are due out to the public next year, along with Poetry in America, which is not self paced. Poetry is likely due out in the Spring.

https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...w-courses/

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • rachel83az
(09-29-2020, 12:05 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 04:14 PM)samiam Wrote: I didn't know COSC didn't have a History major--thanks.

I'd urge you not to dismiss Charter Oak out of hand. They have a concentration in history, as seen here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...istory.php

They also have a concentration in Anthropology: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...pology.php

Does it matter that it's called a concentration rather than a major? Well, my Bachelor's is from Charter Oak, and I did their Information Systems Studies concentration. Want to know how many times it's come up in a job interview or grad school application that it was called a concentration rather than a major? In fifteen years, exactly zero times. It's been such a total non-issue that three of my four kids are going through Charter Oak, my eldest kid just finished the same degree that I did back in the day.

So, if you have a good reason to go with a different school, great, do what's best for you. But this would be a foolish reason to cross them off your list.

Hi. Your response appears as if it is meant for my daughter @samiam; but, maybe it was meant for the other response.
Either way, I just want to clarify @samiam does not differentiate between the two. Whether it's called a major or concentration, as long as it is on her transcript. 
Also, just in case, she is not concerned at this point with what comes up in an interview or application.
Her comment quoted above is based on her acknowledging one of the responses to her post.
She would prefer the Anthropology over History. 

Another option I told her is to get her BALS-History at TESU, then she can try for Archaeology at a B&M school. 
I am not sure how difficult that would be. We saw that George Washington University has an archaeology program. 
She may not even get accepted, depending on their criteria. 

Also, timing is a factor; we are likely moving overseas in 2-3 years. 
We will be making about ~$10,000 a year living on their economy; therefore, attending from overseas may be difficult. 

Plus for archaeology, degrees it appears all programs cannot be done online. 
Also, in order for her to go to COSC, she would need to pass a College Algebra class accepted by COSC. 
She enrolled in COSC, but college math was an issue.
Her learning disability affects her greatly in this subject. 

She's currently starting over again with math--back to the very basics. She spends a lot of time on her studies, it just takes her longer.

EDITED TO ADD: Just visited the COSC Anthropology page you recommended. Futher, I do not know why I did not see this previously but I found a Anthropology AoS at TESU, link https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/anthropology

Pretty neat! She is going to be very happy tomorrow morning!

@ALAB21: Slightly off topic, but...are you or (someone?) currently enrolled? My daughter @samiam is having issues with her account transferring over. She has a ticket in, but the response is very slow.

(09-28-2020, 02:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: What do you mean by hs.edu? Do you mean earned admissions or something else? ASUPrepdigital.org? 

Straight off, we can eliminate COSC. They don't have a history degree. They have a general studies degree with a history concentration which isn't really the same thing. I'm not sure what kind of job you're hoping to get but a job that is specifically looking for a history degree probably wouldn't like this degree. 

Excelsior is extremely fuzzy when it comes to degree requirements. This means that it's much, much harder to plan for an Excelsior degree. It's not impossible but you essentially have to hope that an Excelsior grad with a recent history degree is able to chime in.

TESU will be your best bet if you want to plan out your degree ahead of time so that you can graduate with most (or even all) of the degree completed. In order to enroll as soon as you've graduated HS & are 18, you're going to need 24 RA credits. The worst part of this degree is that (IIRC) it'll require either a TESU course or the DSST Soviet Union exam for non-western history. With your ALEKS course, you're good as far as math goes. 

Step 1 would be to go finish off the general eds you need from Sophia. Check the attached eval for where things go by default. At the very least, you should probably do English Comp II, Sociology, and Macro & Microeconomics. You can skip statistics & algebra because you've got enough math from ALEKS. ASU Biology 101 transfers in as BIO-113 so you could still take Sophia's biology and not have it overlap. 

OnlineDegree.com's HS103 transfers in as HIS-122 and doesn't overlap anything you've already taken. 

TESU requires 18 UL history credits. The capstone counts as 3 UL credits. This leaves 15 UL credits needed. Coopersmith has HIS301 and HIS302 that should count as UL credits - pretty sure HIS301 does but I don't know about HIS302. SDC has:
  • History 301: Historiography & Historical Methods
  • History 306: The American Civil War Era
  • History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War
  • History 311: The Holocaust & World War II
For RA credits, you've got Biology. Suggestions for a further 20 RA credits include:

It will not matter a great deal where we are moving to. Any accredited degree is a degree there. In that regard, she is not particular. She loves Archaeology, Anthropology, and History (in this order). It is her dream to do something she loves and she is not concerned with pay or anything else. If she is unable to do Archaeology here at this time, she can do it where we are moving...I believe...since they are still digging up artifacts there and many locals are involved. 

I am going to post for her and respond for her.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
The TESU Anthropology degree CANNOT be completed online. It requires in-person classes. Only the degrees found at https://www.tesu.edu/academics/online-degrees can be completed online and only some of those can be fully tested out of using Sophia/SDC/SL/etc.

If "any" degree will do for now, COSC could certainly work. Execept for the fact that they don't accept ALEKS credits any longer. TESU would be easier to plan for but Excelsior might be the best option. https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/special...uivalency/ Students 17 or younger can enroll at Excelsior without first graduating if they have the permission of the local superintendant.

You'd then need to take advantage of the Sophia partnership (https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/sophia/) and take 12 credits at Excelsior (only 7 are absolutely required to graduate but 12 will make it cheaper) to bring the cost of the degree to $4920 in Excelsior credits + $80 technology fee + $130 graduation fee = $5130 total.

If, for some reason, they don't accept ALEKS math (they should, I haven't seen anything about them not accepting it lately), Sophia algebra isn't that difficult. Unfortunately, I don't think they accept CSM Learn which would be the absolute easiest. But they do accept SDC's "Math 97: Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning" and that appears to be extremely basic math. Again, they absolutely should accept ALEKS and Math 97 is just a last resort in case they do not.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 80 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 174 6 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,844 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 277 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower