Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with Direction....please! Im a BIG Newbie
The one thing I was lacking in life was my college education and, in June 2012, I knew I would be able to accomplish what I have longed for.......So, I want to thank each and every one of you for all the information regarding schools, classes etc. I cannot begin to describe the wealth of information that I have obtained for finally trying to complete my degree. But what I can tell you is that with ALL of your posts, between June - Oct 7 2012, I NOW have 69 college credits, 25 FEMA credits, . ........Total of 94 credits in 90 days.....wooohooooo!!!!!

Would anyone be willing to help me with the most expeditious path to a degree?? Its become a little overwhelming to me.

Eng 101 &102
Span 101, 102, 201,
Acct I, Acct II, Managerial Accounting, Stats
Intro to Bus, Bus Comm, ECON 101
Bio 101, A & P I & II
Medical Terminolgy
Pharmacology I & II (??)
Western Civ I, US History I,Intro Psych, Intro Soc
Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
25 FEMA credits
Your FEMA credits would be best used at COSC or TESC since they accept them directly for free. You might want to look into a business administration degree since you already have many of the required courses. Someone might have a plan for COSC; I only have one for the BSBA in General Management at TESC. The one thing I left out is that you need courses in at least three areas of study. You can choose from management, accounting, finance, and marketing.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...grees.html
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I'd recommend a business degree, however you'll have to forget about most of those FEMAs. If you want to keep 'em, you'll want to find perhaps a BA. Do you have any preference/need/etc. for any particular degree? If not, a BA in liberal studies may be best. You'll have a capstone, but it should be able to include the majority of your credits.

BTW, A HUGE CONGRATS to you for accomplishing so much in such a short period of time!
Yeah, Liberal Studies is another option, but the OP would still be wasting FEMA credits. The accounting and Intro to Business credits would have to go in free electives. I could be mistaken, but I think Medical Terminology would also go into free electives. So you have the option of getting a BSBA and wasting approximately 22 FEMA credits or getting a BA in Liberal Studies and wasting 10 FEMA credits. It depends on how much you value the effort you put into those 4 business courses just to have them count as free electives. You could also use your FEMAs for the AAS in Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies.

TESC will not give you credit for either of the pharmacology courses.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
So I could get an AAS of Environmental, Safety and Security Technologies and BSBA in ???? General management or are my credits leaning in a different concentration. BTW what careers would use the Enviromental, Safety and Security degree???
Thank you Publius. I found in May 2012, after all these years, that I suffer with a severe case of ADD. I prescribed medication in May in 2012 and I cannot believe what I have accomplished. My eyes water just thinking about it....Smile)))
abc1234 Wrote:So I could get an AAS of Environmental, Safety and Security Technologies and BSBA in ???? General management or are my credits leaning in a different concentration. BTW what careers would use the Enviromental, Safety and Security degree???

Your FEMAs can be used to complete the AAS in ESST. Your accounting, economics, business, and statistics credits would be best used in a BSBA in General Management. You can complete both degrees at the same time. While a degree in Liberal Studies might be a little easier to complete, you really don't have any credits yet that could go in the area of study. You've mostly just finished the general education requirements.

It really all depends what your goals are. Liberal Studies should only be completed by those who just need a degree for career advancement, to get into graduate school, or just a sense of accomplishment. It would be a lot more difficult to find a good paying job with that major than with a business administration degree. If you don't want to work in business, the Social Science and Psychology majors can also be completely tested out of with the exception of the capstone. Those majors are a little more useful than just a plain general studies or liberal arts degree.

That is another thing to take into consideration. All of the BA and most of the BS degrees require a capstone that has to be taken at TESC. The BSBA is probably the only degree left that has a capstone that can be completed by a TECEP or transferring a course: Business Policy/Strategic Management. If you aren't a New Jersey resident, the capstone will cost you $663 and will take 12 weeks to complete. I believe you have to do some kind of large project. As someone who understands having issues with concentrating, dealing with a short attention span, and procrastination; the liberal arts capstone sounds like something to be avoided.

LIB-495-OL
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
:iagree: Sanatone has provided great advice. I'm so happy for you that meds have helped you, but, remember, YOU'VE done the work. It seems to me that testing, rather than the courses, work better with my ADD. (No drugs work for me, darn it!) If that's still the case with you, you might want to avoid classes and test whenever possible. Congratulations on your wonderful accomplishments!!!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I'm curious as to what your outcome is? Do you want something in a nice frame hanging on your wall? Is this for job advancement? Are you trying to learn something? Once we know what you're after we can steer you in the right direction better.
walternc3 Wrote:I'm curious as to what your outcome is? Do you want something in a nice frame hanging on your wall? Is this for job advancement? Are you trying to learn something? Once we know what you're after we can steer you in the right direction better.

This is for job advancement. Since my last post, I have completed my AAS in Enviromental Safety & Security Technologies. I will graduate with an ASNSM in Biology and BSBA in General Management in June 2013. Then I will apply for a BA in Natural Sciences & Mathematics which will be completed by July 1st, and I have been accepted on a probationary status for Summer 2013 into FSU's Clinical Toxicology program. Once my BA in Natural Sciences is completed, the probationary status will be removed.

I second guess myself at times, but I believe this is a good direction. Any thoughts or opinions?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,003 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,672 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127
  Newbie figuring it out need help rab889 3 1,147 03-11-2018, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,978 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  [noob] Looking for direction clmccullough@kc.rr.com 10 2,083 10-29-2017, 01:24 AM
  Thankful Newbie with lots of questions! MommaFullofFaith 7 2,083 05-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Last Post: MommaFullofFaith
  Newbie needs advice on TESU degree-- after reading through these boards for days ! BingCherry 12 3,188 02-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Last Post: BingCherry
  Help with Direction Taliesin 2 671 01-30-2017, 03:14 PM
  Newbie - TESU BA CS and ALEKS question anthony24 0 728 01-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Last Post: anthony24
  Newbie needs help! Veromiami 12 1,551 10-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Veromiami