Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a Bachelor's
Posting for a friend: She needs a bachelor's degree and I have told her TESU is probably her best bet. She is an asst. teacher. She was a LPN at 1 time. She's looking to get a bachelor's in either History or English but perhaps Liberal Studies is her best bet? She wants to move on to get a master's eventually in special education/literacy field but needs a bachelor's first for her job. Credit list is attached. Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files
.docx   TRANS CREDITS (1).docx (Size: 74.99 KB / Downloads: 13)
TESC: BA and AA, Liberal Studies, History concentration, 2011

Regents College (Excelsior): AS, Liberal Studies, 2000

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
There are several options for her, it depends if she's interested in something competency based or something that's alternative credit by exam/written assignment based. My suggestion is to follow up with her and provide her these options. BTW, does she already have an associates degree?

1) If she's really interested in TESU, BALS with a Social Science concentration. Apply, send in transcripts, ask her for a "budget" and what her time commitments are.
2) Alternative option, UMPI BLS with education minor. This is more of my recommendation for her if she's into competency based degrees.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-24-2022, 06:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are several options for her, it depends if she's interested in something competency based or something that's alternative credit by exam/written assignment based.  My suggestion is to follow up with her and provide her these options.  BTW, does she already have an associates degree?

1) If she's really interested in TESU, BALS with a Social Science concentration.  Apply, send in transcripts, ask her for a "budget" and what her time commitments are.
2) Alternative option, UMPI BLS with education minor.  This is more of my recommendation for her if she's into competency based degrees.

She does not have an associates degree. I think she's interested in quick and cheap to help get a raise at her job. After that then she can move forward with a master's plan. She applied at TESU last week and sent in transcripts but is looking at all options. She does work full-time but has time at night, weekends and summers off.

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
If she's comfortable with writing papers, she can get a UMPI degree at a lower cost than getting a degree at TESU. They have degrees in both History and English/Communications at UMPI, too, if she'd prefer that over a Lib. Studies degree. UMPI's History degree requires 6 credits in foreign language. Does she speak a second language? If so, an ACTFL exam would be the fastest/easiest way to meet that requirement. Otherwise, Spanish at Study.com would be the way to go. All of UMPI's other degrees only require 3 credits in foreign language; Spanish @ InstantCert would be the easiest in that instance.

UMPI also requires a science-with-a-lab, but it looks like that requirement is already met, based on the linked document.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
My recommendation to her is this, if she wants, she can get an Associates at Pierpont for their BOG AAS, then ladder that up to the UMPI BAS Education Minor. If she's adamant in staying with TESU, she can get the ASNSM Biology and the BALS in NSM or Social Science as I mentioned earlier. Here are the instructions for the Pierpont BOG AAS, it's her first step, it's "free" with nominal fee for transcripts https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

If she wants to get in to Special Education, she better check the requirements in her state first. I don’t know about all states, but where I live, you can’t just leapfrog in to masters in special education. You have to have a teaching degree, get a teaching license and teach first. She should talk to the Principal where she is working currently and they can best guide her to what she actually needs to eventually be in Special Education.

She has some credits in education already, so that should fit very nicely for a teaching degree. Education is one area that doesn’t always fit nicely with fast, cheap, easy.

Special Education is definitely in need! Where I work, we can not staff enough teachers, psychologists, related service providers, etc.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • CatsDomino, ss20ts
(01-24-2022, 06:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: My recommendation to her is this, if she wants, she can get an Associates at Pierpont for their BOG AAS, then ladder that up to the UMPI BAS Education Minor.  If she's adamant in staying with TESU, she can get the ASNSM Biology and the BALS in NSM or Social Science as I mentioned earlier.  Here are the instructions for the Pierpont BOG AAS, it's her first step, it's "free" with nominal fee for transcripts https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

Can you get a 2nd associate's in another subject from Pierpont if you already have 1...curious!

Nope, Pierpont BOG AAS is for those who have no prior associates or higher degree... students have to be 20 and 2 years after high school before admitted into the degree program. Having said that, there is post you may want to read by searching, a few people did get the Pierpont AFTER they got their Associates & Bachelors.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • bsinsc
(01-24-2022, 08:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nope, Pierpont BOG AAS is for those who have no prior associates or higher degree... students have to be 20 and 2 years after high school before admitted into the degree program.  Having said that, there is post you may want to read by searching, a few people did get the Pierpont AFTER they got their Associates & Bachelors.

Interesting...wish we'd have known about this a couple of years ago before my son got his at TESU. Great information!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 288 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 2 298 01-17-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 884 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,212 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 614 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree MidtownNYC 2 418 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
  I Want A Bachelor's Degree Which Path Is The Fastest For Me?? jrose963 15 1,426 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jrose963
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree? adaggiote 2 443 08-12-2023, 10:44 AM
  Need a Bachelor's degree for promotion. cj91 23 1,254 08-11-2023, 11:00 PM
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 1,812 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded