Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a Degree Plan - Possible BSBA?
Hi All, this forum is amazing!  Thank you in advance to everyone for any help you can provide.

I am pretty much starting from scratch here.  As everyone else I am looking for the fastest, cheapest path to a bachelors.  I have a measly 22 credits currently, but I assume most (all?) will transfer.  I'm not tied to a particular degree.  Based on what I do, and my work experience, I feel like some sort of business degree would be the most relevant.  From reading the forums, and others Degree plans, it seems like a BSBA from TESU would make the most sense, but am open to suggestions.

I want to jump on the Sophia deal right away, so I am looking for help in putting together a plan.  Obviously I don't want to spend time on anything that won't apply, thus my asking for help.

Here is what I currently have in the way of credit

Introduction to Finance-4 
Principles of Accounting-4 
Intermediate Accounting-4 

History of Music (elective?)-4

Renaissance to Revolutn (elective)-4 
Al-Andalus: The Muslimlegacy (elective)-2

Thanks again to anyone who has advice or suggestions!
Pm me me your email and I will shoot you mu plan. Started a month ago and doing Sophia and study.com. it has been evaluated by tesu .

Either BSBA gen man or entr.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Definitely start doing Sophia ASAP. There are some that you'll be needing no matter what (like algebra and English composition). But, honestly, it's best to take them all if you can do so. It's a bit tight to get them all finished in ~4 months, but it should be doable. There are 26 of them that will transfer in, 24 if you skip the 1-credit classes for now (they're always free). That's 74 free credits total and then you basically only need to fill in your area of study.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cerich67
(06-23-2020, 02:05 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Definitely start doing Sophia ASAP. There are some that you'll be needing no matter what (like algebra and English composition). But, honestly, it's best to take them all if you can do so. It's a bit tight to get them all finished in ~4 months, but it should be doable. There are 26 of them that will transfer in, 24 if you skip the 1-credit classes for now (they're always free). That's 74 free credits total and then you basically only need to fill in your area of study.

Is there any chance of any of them not counting towards my area of study?  That was one of my concerns.
You're going to need electives no matter what. If they don't slot into gen. ed. or the AOS, they'll slot into your electives. So you might as well take them all.
Thumbs Up 
(06-23-2020, 02:20 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You're going to need electives no matter what. If they don't slot into gen. ed. or the AOS, they'll slot into your electives. So you might as well take them all.

Got it, that is where I was a little fuzzy.  Thank you!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bhnyc's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-23-2020, 02:29 PM)bhnyc Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 02:20 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You're going to need electives no matter what. If they don't slot into gen. ed. or the AOS, they'll slot into your electives. So you might as well take them all.

Got it, that is where I was a little fuzzy.  Thank you!!

take them all but the 3 foundational courses that TESU wont take. the one credit courses.. take or don't, but for a few hours is worth having in case life happens and you need a single credit hour (SH) or two to cover
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Foundations of Statistics: do not take this even if you're using it to enhance your own learning and not for credit. You can get through the course pretty quickly but I found myself confused because it feels like they took an intro to stats course and removed a bunch of useful information.

College Readiness: TESU won't give you credit for this one but there is some vaguely helpful information in the course that you might want to know. Not critical, but you can do the whole thing in just a couple of hours if you choose to do so.

Foundations of English Composition: TESU doesn't give credit for this one, either. Since you have to complete 2 writing assignments, you're better off jumping feet-first into English Composition I.

Foundations of College Algebra: No credit anywhere for this one. If you're really rusty with math, this MIGHT be an option as a warm-up. Consists of 2 units with 3 challenges each. But you're probably better off skipping straight to algebra and not wasting time on this.
Excelsior: Take every single one of the Sophia.org courses, they take everything. That will give you up to 80 credits total.
TESU/COSC: They will not take the foundation courses and the college readiness, to them, it's developmental/vocational.
If you're in the US, you should also consider Brandman/WGU or other competency based degree providers too.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-23-2020, 03:18 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Foundations of Statistics: do not take this even if you're using it to enhance your own learning and not for credit. You can get through the course pretty quickly but I found myself confused because it feels like they took an intro to stats course and removed a bunch of useful information.

College Readiness: TESU won't give you credit for this one but there is some vaguely helpful information in the course that you might want to know. Not critical, but you can do the whole thing in just a couple of hours if you choose to do so.

Foundations of English Composition: TESU doesn't give credit for this one, either. Since you have to complete 2 writing assignments, you're better off jumping feet-first into English Composition I.

Foundations of College Algebra: No credit anywhere for this one. If you're really rusty with math, this MIGHT be an option as a warm-up. Consists of 2 units with 3 challenges each. But you're probably better off skipping straight to algebra and not wasting time on this.

This is exactly what I needed, thanks Rachel!

(06-23-2020, 03:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Excelsior: Take every single one of the Sophia.org courses, they take everything.  That will give you up to 80 credits total.
TESU/COSC:  They will not take the foundation courses and the college readiness, to them, it's developmental/vocational.
If you're in the US, you should also consider Brandman/WGU or other competency based degree providers too.

I am in the US, and I did look at WGU.  I couldn't see the advantage over TESU, especially since I am an NY resident.  Someone correct me if that isn't the case.

I will take a look at Brandman.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 28 45 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 6 104 55 minutes ago
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 34 596 3 hours ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 312 4 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 135 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,477 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,853 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 341 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM