Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a fast and cheap degree?
I would recommend https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEOUor6...A/featured and this link for resources, https://github.com/UnorthEdu/UnorthodoxEducation-. The same information is presented here in this forum but I liked this presentation. For an overall degree I would choose something you like if you can, but the business degree's are usually the quickest.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Life_One's post:
  • akr680
(10-26-2019, 03:18 PM)Marquette_Wildcat Wrote: Just found this site, its amazing! I need a fast and cheap degree to satisfy a future promotion at work, any will do. What are my options? Thank you guys so much!

So, you can see my progress in my signature. What I would do, is go to ModernStates and use their study materials so that you can get free CLEP vouchers. Of course, first check to make sure that CLEP testing is available near you and speak with someone from the testing center to verify any times or limits. When I was taking CLEP, the local college let me take 3 in one day, but, then it turned out that they weren't allowed to do that and then I was limited to just 2 CLEP's per day and I could only get there once a week. Some of those testing services have very limited hours- so that's good to know going in. The benefit is that you can get practice studying and testing for free. 

I was telling people to just skip CLEP and go right to WGU- BUT, I no longer think that's a good idea simply because you have no idea of knowing how quickly you can really learn until your actually doing it. I had a friend I sent to WGU and she didn't successfully complete a single class. lol So, yeah, don't waste your money until you get some good practice with CLEP. You don't want to pay $3500 and then realize you aren't in the right headspace now. 

You would definitely want to test out of as many gen eds as possible before enrolling in WGU. The general business degrees still have around 30 credits of gen ed. I managed to do 100+ credits in 10 months while working full time. But, it was a lot. For me it ended up pretty inexpensive going that route because I qualified for the Pell grant and then the subsidized loan for the remainder. It was cheaper going that route than any other route, BUT, only if you finish in one term. If you are cutting it down to the wire, you can get a capstone extension of 4 weeks so long as it is your last class and it is moved into your current term before the 15th of your last month. 

You can see the CLEP's I took in my signature. WGU accepted most of those, the only ones they didn't take were the ones that overlapped with the gen ed credits I already had from my first college stint. CLEP transcripts take forever to show up and delayed my start time by a month. In other words, as soon as you think you are done with CLEP, have the transcript sent to WGU even if you haven't applied yet or done any of your financial aid. Fill out your FAFSA ahead of time, all that fun stuff.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(10-28-2019, 01:13 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 03:18 PM)Marquette_Wildcat Wrote: Just found this site, its amazing! I need a fast and cheap degree to satisfy a future promotion at work, any will do. What are my options? Thank you guys so much!

So, you can see my progress in my signature. What I would do, is go to ModernStates and use their study materials so that you can get free CLEP vouchers. Of course, first check to make sure that CLEP testing is available near you and speak with someone from the testing center to verify any times or limits. When I was taking CLEP, the local college let me take 3 in one day, but, then it turned out that they weren't allowed to do that and then I was limited to just 2 CLEP's per day and I could only get there once a week. Some of those testing services have very limited hours- so that's good to know going in. The benefit is that you can get practice studying and testing for free. 

I was telling people to just skip CLEP and go right to WGU- BUT, I no longer think that's a good idea simply because you have no idea of knowing how quickly you can really learn until your actually doing it. I had a friend I sent to WGU and she didn't successfully complete a single class. lol So, yeah, don't waste your money until you get some good practice with CLEP. You don't want to pay $3500 and then realize you aren't in the right headspace now. 

You would definitely want to test out of as many gen eds as possible before enrolling in WGU. The general business degrees still have around 30 credits of gen ed. I managed to do 100+ credits in 10 months while working full time. But, it was a lot. For me it ended up pretty inexpensive going that route because I qualified for the Pell grant and then the subsidized loan for the remainder. It was cheaper going that route than any other route, BUT, only if you finish in one term. If you are cutting it down to the wire, you can get a capstone extension of 4 weeks so long as it is your last class and it is moved into your current term before the 15th of your last month. 

You can see the CLEP's I took in my signature. WGU accepted most of those, the only ones they didn't take were the ones that overlapped with the gen ed credits I already had from my first college stint. CLEP transcripts take forever to show up and delayed my start time by a month. In other words, as soon as you think you are done with CLEP, have the transcript sent to WGU even if you haven't applied yet or done any of your financial aid. Fill out your FAFSA ahead of time, all that fun stuff.
Dang! That was a hell of an answer Jennifer! Thank you so much! Yeah I think I’m going to end up pursuing the Business Management or Marketing Management degrees. So you essentially did most of your degree directly through WGU? Would you recommend testing out of the maximum amount of transferable credits before enrolling? Did you have any experience with Straighterline, Saylor, or Study.com? I appreciate all the advice, thank you again!
(10-28-2019, 07:57 PM)Marquette_Wildcat Wrote:

Dang! That was a hell of an answer Jennifer! Thank you so much! Yeah I think I’m going to end up pursuing the Business Management or Marketing Management degrees. So you essentially did most of your degree directly through WGU? Would you recommend testing out of the maximum amount of transferable credits before enrolling? Did you have any experience with Straighterline, Saylor, or Study.com? I appreciate all the advice, thank you again!

I did a few Straighterline as well and I used Study.com. For Study.com, I didn't get credits, I went with the less expensive access to everything without credits just to use it for review materials. I wouldn't bother with that again if I had it to do over. I completed every single Study.com accounting class before I started at WGU and they only really covered the materials in Principles of Accounting. If you qualify for a Pell grant and are capable of accelerating- I would skip Study.com just because the credits aren't that inexpensive. My thought would be to CLEP and Straighterline to clear the gen eds. For best use of your time, you will likely want to clear as many of the classes as you can that require a written assignment. The reason you would do that is you may get a mentor who isn't super awesome. My mentor would often move just one class at a time into my plan, and then I would test on a Friday night and have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for him to move another class in. With the papers, I usually got them back graded in about 48 hours. Not bad, but, that's 48 hours where you can't access your next class and can't get another moved into your term. I lost so many weekends waiting for classes to unlock. You might get lucky and get a mentor who moves more into your term at a time, towards the end, my mentor was finally moving a few at a time. If I was going it over, I would do everything I could do as CLEP then fill in the rest with any of the cheaper straighterline- some of them are really a good deal and include the textbook and everything. I had almost half the degree done before I started at WGU and still took it right to the wire to finish in one term.. lol Most people need to retake Cost and Managerial Accounting. If I would have needed to do that instead of squeaking by, I would have needed a second term. That's how close I cut it. Now, the business management and marketing majors have less of those ridiculous classes and it's easier to accomplish those in less time. My thought would be to try to go into it with 60 credits completed through CLEP and straighterline. 
Take the 5 business CLEP's, Take macroeconomics, microeconomics, sociology and so on. If you look at the required courses, you'll see that there's a lot of CLEP that lines up. Anything that you can't get with CLEP, get with straighterline until you've reached at least 60 credits. If you manage to do your first 60 credits in 6 months or less, you can likely do your last 60 credits in 6 months too. A lot of people get stuck in classes like statistics and algebra, micro and macro. Those are good classes to clear ahead of time for sure. Smile
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
(10-29-2019, 08:54 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

I did a few Straighterline as well and I used Study.com. For Study.com, I didn't get credits, I went with the less expensive access to everything without credits just to use it for review materials. I wouldn't bother with that again if I had it to do over. I completed every single Study.com accounting class before I started at WGU and they only really covered the materials in Principles of Accounting. If you qualify for a Pell grant and are capable of accelerating- I would skip Study.com just because the credits aren't that inexpensive. My thought would be to CLEP and Straighterline to clear the gen eds. For best use of your time, you will likely want to clear as many of the classes as you can that require a written assignment. The reason you would do that is you may get a mentor who isn't super awesome. My mentor would often move just one class at a time into my plan, and then I would test on a Friday night and have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for him to move another class in. With the papers, I usually got them back graded in about 48 hours. Not bad, but, that's 48 hours where you can't access your next class and can't get another moved into your term. I lost so many weekends waiting for classes to unlock. You might get lucky and get a mentor who moves more into your term at a time, towards the end, my mentor was finally moving a few at a time. If I was going it over, I would do everything I could do as CLEP then fill in the rest with any of the cheaper straighterline- some of them are really a good deal and include the textbook and everything. I had almost half the degree done before I started at WGU and still took it right to the wire to finish in one term.. lol Most people need to retake Cost and Managerial Accounting. If I would have needed to do that instead of squeaking by, I would have needed a second term. That's how close I cut it. Now, the business management and marketing majors have less of those ridiculous classes and it's easier to accomplish those in less time. My thought would be to try to go into it with 60 credits completed through CLEP and straighterline. 
Take the 5 business CLEP's, Take macroeconomics, microeconomics, sociology and so on. If you look at the required courses, you'll see that there's a lot of CLEP that lines up. Anything that you can't get with CLEP, get with straighterline until you've reached at least 60 credits. If you manage to do your first 60 credits in 6 months or less, you can likely do your last 60 credits in 6 months too. A lot of people get stuck in classes like statistics and algebra, micro and macro. Those are good classes to clear ahead of time for sure. Smile

I would say that I don't like telling people HOW to get credits - I personally wouldn't take CLEP because it's not convenient for me to do so, and I hated Straighterline with a passion.  Everyone doesn't like doing things the same way, and there are multiple ways to get most credits, so do what works for YOU.

My advice for WGU is to get all 90cr if possible before enrolling, so that you aren't cutting it close trying to finish in a single term.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

One more question, curious, were the Big Three just too expensive? Was that why you chose WGU over them? Thank you so much Jennifer! Once again I appreciate the help!
(10-30-2019, 06:00 PM)Marquette_Wildcat Wrote:

One more question, curious, were the Big Three just too expensive? Was that why you chose WGU over them? Thank you so much Jennifer! Once again I appreciate the help!

So, I'm an outlier in this group. Everyone else here seems to be in a fairly comfortable career, I've made $12 or less an hour for most of my life. Glassdoor is a website that approximates your worth based on your degree and where you live, according to Glassdoor, even with a BS in Accounting, I'm only worth $17,000 per year working full time, so, $8.17 an hour is all I'm worth where I currently live. The median household income here is only $36,000. So, yeah, two people working minimum wage jobs is pretty much the standard here. 

That's going to give me a different perspective. Because of my income, I qualified for a Pell grant. A lot of people here are paying cash. I had no extra dollars to spend. When I ran out of CLEP's that I could do for free, I moved to Straighterline, but could only come up with an extra $59 once a month or so and that was only possible by reducing my driving, not taking my kid to the park; we didn't get our once a month pizza. We bought less groceries and so on to come up with the $59 for a straighterline class. It just wasn't a good use of time or resources. I was capable of doing more classes, but, couldn't afford them. If I went straight to WGU, I got a pell grant. I could have got a pell grant at the big 3 as well, but, the cost per credit hour is so much that a pell grant doesn't go very far and you have to go at least part time to qualify for a partial pell grant. 

If you aren't going to qualify for a Pell grant, it makes a lot more sense to go ahead and use alternative credit like straighterline and study.com. You get a lot more control, you can take breaks between classes without it costing you. You just don't buy any classes for the holiday season, know what I mean? At WGU, you are paying for 6 months. Every day you aren't working on classes is a wasted day. It's definitely less flexible like that. 

The way I did it worked well for me, I got a bachelor's degree in 10 months. I owe around $1000 on a student loan. Other than the few Straighterline courses I took, there was no other outlay of cash. But, my plan was absolutely do or die.. lol If you are paying cash and end up in a second term at WGU, then you should have gone big 3 instead. It's definitely a gamble doing it the way I did it and it's not for everyone. 

As Dfrecore put it, she wouldn't have taken CLEP or straighterline. There's all kinds of ways of doing this. I suggested starting with CLEP because if you go through ModernStates you can get a voucher for free testing. There's a lot less risk when something is free. Free CLEP made my plan possible. I couldn't come up with the money to do it the way everyone else does.
Sophia(2 credits)
[-] The following 2 users Like Jenniferinfl's post:
  • Clepper43, quigongene
That is a great write-up, Jenniferinfl. As a fellow WGU grad, I would like to add that they are also very DSST friendly. I was able to knock out 10 CUs before I enrolled. Not the cheapest by a long shot, but does cover some things that CLEP won't.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Jenniferinfl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,183 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 953 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 377 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader