Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice about jobs - HELP!
(08-09-2018, 02:03 PM)davewill Wrote: I've walked in his shoes. I spent ten years not getting my first two years of college done before giving up, while wondering why my peers could just go to the university and bang out their degrees. We didn't know about ADHD then, but that's what it was. I managed by pushing forward to learn computer programming on my own and eventually became a software developer without a degree. Even then, I can't count the number of times I would zone out and get nothing done for a month, then pull a week of intense effort to perform a "miracle". It's highly stressful and very hard on your self-esteem when you are constantly worried that someone will notice you're not doing what you're supposed to and you pretty much blame yourself.

Let him take some time without having to formally study something. If he can hold down any job for a while, let him do that. It will be good for him. 

What does he like to do? Most of us inattentives can hyperfocus on things when either highly interested or highly motivated. If he loves something in particular, let him dive into it on his own for a while. There may be opportunities to get paid for doing it down the road. He may be able to come back to school in some form later, but I think it's time to take the stress off for a bit.
Sounds like me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • burbuja0512
(08-09-2018, 10:30 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Hi all,

Those of you who've seen me post over the years might have seen me ask question after question for my oldest son, who is now almost 23 and has been studying for CLEPS, taking SL, community college courses, online classes, and even taking ALEKS and FEMA courses since he was about 17.     It's been a LONG time and a ridiculous amount of work.   

However, it hasn't been easy.  He was diagnosed with ADHD, type I inattentive, and has tried all sorts of medication - none of it make him a good student, and all of it with side effects he can't tolerate.   He's even had his IQ tested as part of his lengthy neuropsych testing and it's "at least" 130, but with his ADHD it's hard to be completely accurate on the test... but the point is he DOES have the brains to do what he wants.

Anyhow, he has finally reached a breaking point.    After all these years and he's only managed to collect just over 30 credits, his 18-year-old younger sister who is in B&M college has surpassed his credit number and it's just too much to bear.    And he has tried literally everything.   I've even sat down next to him when he takes classes or studies for CLEP and this just isn't working. 

So, my overall advice to him is as he is quitting his studies is, look, a degree isn't for everyone.   I'm ok with that.  But you can't just go out into the world with no real skills.    You need skills.   Look into a trade or something like that.    However, I was looking into trades, and so many of them require at least a community college degree, which at this point in his life, I'm 100% certain he isn't able to do.

I don't really know many people with trade-type jobs.   Does anyone here have any ideas?   He's an amazing worker and has a job right now where he puts in 110%.  He also volunteers weekly, so work ethic isn't a problem.  Learning on the job is a strength for him, so an apprenticeship would probably be great.    

Thank you so much for any thoughts or advice.   I'm so stressed about this and I want to help him.  He's worked so hard and it's heartbreaking not to have any good suggestions.

Separately and apart from this, my good friend Cindy LaJoy has a website/blog called Blue Collar Homeschool - also a FB group by the same name, bookmark her site, you'll be really encouraged.

My advice is for him to get into an apprenticeship. If he likes his work now, I'd start there. There are formal apprenticeships for almost everything you can imagine. The US Department of Labor is the authoritative body on apprenticeships, so looking for a USDOL-connection is a good place to look, but not all apprenticeships require formal training. As an example, plumbing -HVAC - culinary, can all be learned on the job or through a formal apprenticeship. Pros and cons to both.

Also, pull up your community college's adult ed catalog. It's full of non-credit work training programs. In mine, as an example, you can become study the real estate course to become an agent or complete a certificate course on masonry, phlebotomy, home inspection, etc. My point is that there are ZILLIONS of ways to pick up a skill without graded credit. Afterall, only 40% of people you see walking around have a degree, and the other 60% are working *somewhere.*

P.S. I see he's teaching English online- why not let him work at this job for a year? Tell him to bump up his availability to full time (or close to it) and spend some time just working. If it's not a job that can become full time, I'd fill in the down time with something more physical where he moves. Young men, physiologically and psychologically, will benefit from a job that allows them to express testosterone on a consistent basis. While I don't know if it is true for men, for women- physical activity releases endorphins that improve clinical depression. Seems logical that the converse is true. My 23 year old son works in a warehouse, he tells people he gets paid to work out lol. Something like that might be a nice addition to his daily.
(08-10-2018, 09:00 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 10:30 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Hi all,

Those of you who've seen me post over the years might have seen me ask question after question for my oldest son, who is now almost 23 and has been studying for CLEPS, taking SL, community college courses, online classes, and even taking ALEKS and FEMA courses since he was about 17.     It's been a LONG time and a ridiculous amount of work.   

However, it hasn't been easy.  He was diagnosed with ADHD, type I inattentive, and has tried all sorts of medication - none of it make him a good student, and all of it with side effects he can't tolerate.   He's even had his IQ tested as part of his lengthy neuropsych testing and it's "at least" 130, but with his ADHD it's hard to be completely accurate on the test... but the point is he DOES have the brains to do what he wants.

Anyhow, he has finally reached a breaking point.    After all these years and he's only managed to collect just over 30 credits, his 18-year-old younger sister who is in B&M college has surpassed his credit number and it's just too much to bear.    And he has tried literally everything.   I've even sat down next to him when he takes classes or studies for CLEP and this just isn't working. 

So, my overall advice to him is as he is quitting his studies is, look, a degree isn't for everyone.   I'm ok with that.  But you can't just go out into the world with no real skills.    You need skills.   Look into a trade or something like that.    However, I was looking into trades, and so many of them require at least a community college degree, which at this point in his life, I'm 100% certain he isn't able to do.

I don't really know many people with trade-type jobs.   Does anyone here have any ideas?   He's an amazing worker and has a job right now where he puts in 110%.  He also volunteers weekly, so work ethic isn't a problem.  Learning on the job is a strength for him, so an apprenticeship would probably be great.    

Thank you so much for any thoughts or advice.   I'm so stressed about this and I want to help him.  He's worked so hard and it's heartbreaking not to have any good suggestions.

Separately and apart from this, my good friend Cindy LaJoy has a website/blog called Blue Collar Homeschool - also a FB group by the same name, bookmark her site, you'll be really encouraged.

My advice is for him to get into an apprenticeship.  If he likes his work now, I'd start there.  There are formal apprenticeships for almost everything you can imagine.  The US Department of Labor is the authoritative body on apprenticeships, so looking for a USDOL-connection is a good place to look, but not all apprenticeships require formal training.  As an example, plumbing -HVAC - culinary, can all be learned on the job or through a formal apprenticeship. Pros and cons to both.

Also, pull up your community college's adult ed catalog. It's full of non-credit work training programs.  In mine, as an example, you can become study the real estate course to become an agent or complete a certificate course on masonry, phlebotomy, home inspection, etc.  My point is that there are ZILLIONS of ways to pick up a skill without graded credit.  Afterall, only 40% of people you see walking around have a degree, and the other 60% are working *somewhere.*

P.S.  I see he's teaching English online- why not let him work at this job for a year?  Tell him to bump up his availability to full time (or close to it) and spend some time just working.  If it's not a job that can become full time, I'd fill in the down time with something more physical where he moves.  Young men, physiologically and psychologically, will benefit from a job that allows them to express testosterone on a consistent basis.  While I don't know if it is true for men, for women- physical activity releases endorphins that improve clinical depression.  Seems logical that the converse is true.  My 23 year old son works in a warehouse, he tells people he gets paid to work out lol. Something like that might be a nice addition to his daily.

Thank you so much Jen!!!   As usual, you are a wealth of information.   I will check out that site on FB and also look into some of the other suggestions.    The ESL career center that he volunteers at is actually run by our state's department of labor and I think that the center even shares an office with people who might be able to help him find apprenticeships.   Definitely a good idea.

I also like the idea of him doing something physical.   He just needs to get out of the house more.   You probably know how much we've moved in the past few years..  Denver, Chicago, now S. Dakota.. it's a lot and his friendships have suffered.  Not to mention that he's not on the same wavelength as a lot of his old friends who have already graduated college, some have moved in with their significant other... and here he is still perfectly content to live at home.   It's tough.   Doing something physical outside the house would help.   

I think finding additional stuff to do during the day would help a lot - he can't make his teaching job full time since it's based on China's schedule.  So, he works early mornings and late nights.    But there is definitely time for more.   

We'll get there... I know we will.  I just wish it weren't such a tough journey for him.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-10-2018, 11:12 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: ...
I think finding additional stuff to do during the day would help a lot - he can't make his teaching job full time since it's based on China's schedule.  So, he works early mornings and late nights.    But there is definitely time for more.   

We'll get there... I know we will.  I just wish it weren't such a tough journey for him.

If he's not trying to hold down school in the daytime, he actually could work through China's full work day. However, I agree that holding down a day job, especially if he gets to work with his peers would probably be a better approach.

I'm so sorry the meds aren't working for him. Have you tried any of the skills-based approaches to ADHD? I wish I knew more about them, but the meds work for me pretty well. Also, encourage him to get involved with an ADHD support group or online community. It might give him a chance to understand his own condition and how to deal with it better. At least he will know that he's not alone.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • burbuja0512
I love the idea of physical work. So many people spend so much time on the computer (myself included), they don't get the physical activity they need. I can't imagine what my kids would do without sports - they are both VERY physically active, and I think it helps both of them tremendously. I'm guessing your son really could use the outlet - he loves the work, but probably just really needs physicality to give his brain a break. Doing physical work can also help the brain focus - you have to pay attention to what you're doing. My son likes to say "if I goof off in Water Polo and Swimming, I'll drown!" He knows that he's much more focused on what he's doing because he HAS to be.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512
I've never been diagnosed partially because I don't see the point in it; I refuse to take any of the medications currently on the market. They can trigger severe mental illnesses if you have a genetic predisposition. The one time I asked for a referral to be tested, I didn't get it.

People often ask what is the best job for those with ADHD. There is no best job for everyone. The best job depends on the individual's interests. People with ADHD tend to hyperfocus on the things they do find interesting. So, your son should write down a list of things he finds himself spending hours doing.

There are some natural ways to slightly reduce the symptoms. He should try eliminating red food coloring from his diet and cutting his sugar intake. People with ADHD have understimulated brains. Caffeine is a natural stimulant. There is also some evidence that DHA supplements might help. Contrary to popular belief, people with ADHD don't need to be tired out; they need to be woken up. That's why most of the medications are stimulants.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an alternative to medication. He needs to learn coping skills. Sleep is also very important. Do not follow the 7 to 8-hour guideline. Everyone is different. There are adults who need 9+ hours of sleep. People will often exhibit ADHD-like symptoms when they have insomnia or sleep apnea.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Update: DS does NOT qualify for Air Force. They didn't come out and say no, but told him with the depression and the ADHD diagnosis, it would be unlikely. They tried to send him to the Army recruiter, but he wasn't interested. For him it was Air Force or no military.

So back to square one. I'll re-read the thread and suggestions. I really was hoping the Air Force would work out.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Maybe that's a good thing. It may not have been the best fit. Do you or him feel like maybe some kind of technical training through a cc or other school might be good?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-15-2018, 03:12 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Update:   DS does NOT qualify for Air Force.   They didn't come out and say no, but told him with the depression and the ADHD diagnosis, it would be unlikely.    They tried to send him to the Army recruiter, but he wasn't interested.  For him it was Air Force or no military.  

So back to square one.   I'll re-read the thread and suggestions.     I really was hoping the Air Force would work out.

The military environment probably would have been detrimental to his mental health. Suicide rates are already high among those who get in and are determined to be mentally fit.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-15-2018, 07:04 AM)sanantone Wrote: Contrary to popular belief, people with ADHD don't need to be tired out; they need to be woken up. That's why most of the medications are stimulants.

You're probably not saying this in response to my post, so please don't take it as I'm contradicting you.  But I wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying that he needed to be tired out, but that physical activity can actually help the brain almost as much as medications.  I found that my son was much more able to focus on things during and after physical activity, than if he laid around all day or played video games.  The physical activity just REALLY helped him; still does.

He doesn't have ADHD by the way, but I just know that it helps him tremendously - he's a better, happier person when he gets some exercise every day.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,325 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 524 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 481 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,100 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 690 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  How to Evaluate Advice (Before Using It) Kal Di 2 763 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 616 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 686 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  650,000 jobs Alpha 20 2,319 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: dfrecore