Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60
Hello friends!

Asking for a friend who wants to substitute teach and currently has no college credits at all. The rules to get a substitute certificate:
a.) 30 credits and be registered at a university
b.) 60 credits

Originally was thinking that they go the Associates Route but then thought that left less room for classes that interested them since a BALS may have more flexibility for electives. I don't know if these credits would ever turn into a degree because from what I'm being told they only want/need the credits to get the sub cert. (I will throw in there that this person was a police officer for 20 years and they may change their mind and want a CJ degree after all, who knows for sure.)

My original thought was to take Sophia/Study/Straighterline courses up until 30 credits and then schedule a TECEP at TESU which used to enroll you for a year. Is that still the case?  Each year they could enroll for another TECEP to stay registered?  

Is that the best idea?  Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance - my head is spinning and I can't get out of it.  And of course, they want the cheapest possible way to do this.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
Assuming they're in the US and are a US Citizen, I'd definitely recommend the Pierpont BOG AAS. It's free, aside from the credits, and you can have the degree in-hand in just a few months. There is plenty of wiggle room for whatever classes they're interested in. At the very cheapest, though, it'd be about $250 for the AAS. (Sophia, ASU, transcript fees.)

For a bit more money, SDC has a number of Education courses that are worth credits. While one could theoretically use these to get an Area of Emphasis in Education, I would probably recommend getting an Area of Emphasis in Math or something like that.

If they follow https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan then they can go on to get a degree at UMPI, if they so choose. UMPI has both BLS Educational Studies and BA Criminal Justice.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu, suzycupcake
(06-03-2022, 02:32 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Assuming they're in the US and are a US Citizen, I'd definitely recommend the Pierpont BOG AAS. It's free, aside from the credits, and you can have the degree in-hand in just a few months. There is plenty of wiggle room for whatever classes they're interested in. At the very cheapest, though, it'd be about $250 for the AAS. (Sophia, ASU, transcript fees.)

For a bit more money, SDC has a number of Education courses that are worth credits. While one could theoretically use these to get an Area of Emphasis in Education, I would probably recommend getting an Area of Emphasis in Math or something like that.

If they follow https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan then they can go on to get a degree at UMPI, if they so choose. UMPI has both BLS Educational Studies and BA Criminal Justice.

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, they are in the US. I did look at Pierpoint but can't understand what exactly it is in the way they describe it on the website. I'll call them. Do you even take any classes there at all or can you just transfer in everything? Thanks again for info!

(06-03-2022, 02:32 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Assuming they're in the US and are a US Citizen, I'd definitely recommend the Pierpont BOG AAS. It's free, aside from the credits, and you can have the degree in-hand in just a few months. There is plenty of wiggle room for whatever classes they're interested in. At the very cheapest, though, it'd be about $250 for the AAS. (Sophia, ASU, transcript fees.)

It says in the Wiki that you need to bring in 12 RA credits - is this true? They have no current credits.
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
As of right now, Pierpont counts Sophia credits toward the RA credits, for whatever reason. You only need a single graded credit. The easiest, cheapest, way to do this is the $25 1-credit self-paced class from ASU.

You don't have to take anything at all from Pierpont. They're the only school that offers the BOG AAS where you can transfer in 100% of the degree. You can take anything from any ACE or RA source, so long as you meet the minimum credit requirements.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu, suzycupcake
(06-03-2022, 02:20 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: (I will throw in there that this person was a police officer for 20 years and they may change their mind and want a CJ degree after all, who knows for sure.)

If this person goes the Pierpont BOG AAS route, then with 30 more credits, that person could be ready to enroll in UMPI for a CJ degree.

CJ degree plan:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu, suzycupcake
(06-03-2022, 03:11 PM)rachel83az Wrote: As of right now, Pierpont counts Sophia credits toward the RA credits, for whatever reason. You only need a single graded credit. The easiest, cheapest, way to do this is the $25 1-credit self-paced class from ASU.

You don't have to take anything at all from Pierpont. They're the only school that offers the BOG AAS where you can transfer in 100% of the degree. You can take anything from any ACE or RA source, so long as you meet the minimum credit requirements.

I just spoke to Nancy and what a nice lady!  OMG I have to go find this $25 class right now! THANK YOU!
Started June 2022

(06-03-2022, 04:38 PM)suzycupcake Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 03:11 PM)rachel83az Wrote: As of right now, Pierpont counts Sophia credits toward the RA credits, for whatever reason. You only need a single graded credit. The easiest, cheapest, way to do this is the $25 1-credit self-paced class from ASU.

I just spoke to Nancy and what a nice lady!  OMG I have to go find this $25 class right now! THANK YOU!

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/technical-sup...s-cis-194/
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 2 users Like carrythenothing's post:
  • Pikachu, suzycupcake
carrythenothing Wrote:
suzycupcake Wrote:I just spoke to Nancy and what a nice lady!  OMG I have to go find this $25 class right now! THANK YOU!

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/technical-sup...s-cis-194/

That's the course and you should follow these course recommendations for the Pierpont BOG AAS
Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • suzycupcake
Sometimes police academy courses can be turned into credits. it wouldn't hurt to see if Pierpont, or one of the Big3 will do give them credit for their academy work. If part of their academy training was through a community college, they may even already have some credits on a transcript.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • suzycupcake
(06-03-2022, 05:50 PM)davewill Wrote: Sometimes police academy courses can be turned into credits. it wouldn't hurt to see if Pierpont, or one of the Big3 will do give them credit for their academy work. If part of their academy training was through a community college, they may even already have some credits on a transcript.

Thank you for this. We did check into it but he graduated from the Police Academy in 1995 and most places won't give credits because it's too old but he also has tons of certifications. We scanned them (and the Police Academy info which was from a county college) and sent them off the Pierpont and they will see if there is anything they can give credit for!
Started June 2022

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,509 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 587 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,747 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,934 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 688 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 248 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,255 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 671 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 511 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,630 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx