Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Need an UL English course? Harvard has one cheap!
(08-18-2018, 07:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 05:54 PM)miah Wrote: Does anyone have a copy of the syllabus from a prior course in this series from last semester? Just curious to see what it would entail? I'm taking grad course at FHSU and working F/T and raising a family, so I don't know if I could swing 2 courses, put this is almost too good to let pass by without taking advantage of the opportunity to have courses from Harvard on my transcripts.

Same professor has a condensed MOOC called Poetry in America: Whitman - you can look at to get an idea- https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v...17/course/

I did the MOOC course before the summer session started. (you can watch videos on 2x speed and still do the exercises)

Here's the summer syllabus for the real course https://canvas.harvard.edu/courses/41435...s/syllabus

THANK YOU!!!! Smile
This won't count for the 15 UL for tesu BALS?
(08-30-2018, 11:49 PM)ekbenzo Wrote: This won't count for the 15 UL for tesu BALS?

Sure it would, you can get 15 UL in English and they'll fit in the BALS Humanities concentration.
Are you looking for a BALS with no concentration? That'll work as well if you already have X UL.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-31-2018, 12:01 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 11:49 PM)ekbenzo Wrote: This won't count for the 15 UL for tesu BALS?

Sure it would, you can get 15 UL in English and they'll fit in the BALS Humanities concentration.
Are you looking for a BALS with no concentration? That'll work as well if you already have X UL.
What do you mean X UL?is that roman numeral for 10?as in 10 UL credits?or you just mean as long as I get 15 UL it'll fit for BALS?
Thanks to everyone in this thread btw.i registered for one class...I'll think for a couple of hours maybe I'll register for two.
Not going to lie,kind of scared but also excited.
Today is the last day to register for ENGL 182A or ENGL 182H through Harvard Extension without a late fee. The classes are $200 plus one $50 registration fee per student, so both classes would be $450 or one would be $250. I have tried to talk my 2 sons(22 and 19) into taking them with me with no luck. The summer class was excellent and I am excited!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • cookderosa
Registration is still open and the late fee is only $50. Still a great deal!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cory's post:
  • hsfamfun
If I get grad credits and use them in my TESU BA, does that mean I can't ever use them in a future grad cert/degree? Because if that's true, maybe I should go for the easier undergrad credits?

My understanding is that if you use credits in a BA, you can't reuse them in a Masters. However, there is not a lot of difference in the work load of the grad/undergrad credits. One of the ladies in a study group that I am in realized that he courses for this semester were numbered ENGL-182 A and ENGL-182H, so they are lower level. If she had taken them for grad credit they would have been upper level. The difficulty is definitely upper level.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • Ideas
(12-14-2018, 08:36 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: My understanding is that if you use credits in a BA, you can't reuse them in a Masters. However, there is not a lot of difference in the work load of the grad/undergrad credits. One of the ladies in a study group that I am in realized that he courses for this semester were numbered ENGL-182 A and ENGL-182H, so they are lower level. If she had taken them for grad credit they would have been upper level. The difficulty is definitely upper level.

Harvard doesn't use the 100/200/300/400 numbering system, so you can't go by that.

I know for sure that Harvard will not let you use a course you took with them for grad credit later toward your graduate degree with them.

When I was working out a strategy to do it, my situation was a little different.
I had a BA from TESU completed first. Then, I enrolled at HES for graduate level biology, with the intention of sending the biology credits back to TESU for upperlevel science for a second BA in biology. They would then be used inside an undergrad degree (second BA from TES) and a master's at HES (biology). I did not end up pursuing the biology masters, I went with nutrition, however, if for sure is doable. But to double dip, you have to have your first BA from TESU. This isn't going to work for most people, because if you want to UL credit in your AOS at TESU, you have to give up using them for grad school - BUT, finding upper level English for $60/credit? No one is doing that- it's worth losing them against a future masters imo.
(12-14-2018, 06:10 AM)Ideas Wrote: If I get grad credits and use them in my TESU BA, does that mean I can't ever use them in a future grad cert/degree? Because if that's true, maybe I should go for the easier undergrad credits?

It can actually be worse than that. Most schools won't accept them just because they were completed before your first bachelor's is conferred. Doesn't matter whether you "used" them or not. That's part of the deal with BS/MS programs, you're allowed to start on master's work while still doing bachelor's work, which normally isn't allowed. Besides, looking at my transcript, there's nothing there to tell you what courses "counted" towards my degree. It just lists the degree and everything I took or transferred in.

That said, someone wants to use, say, the Harvard poetry courses as UL in their BALS, but they don't plan to get a Master's related to Poetry in the future, then it doesn't matter anyway...those courses wouldn't be useful to them.

BTW, My daughter is just finishing the "Mayflower" one, and they asked her if they could keep her essay as an exemplar for future Harvard students!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • alab21, magflo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,522 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Op Eds - I Vote on Plagiarism Cases at Harvard College. Gay’s Getting off Easy. posabsolute 0 294 12-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 460 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 530 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 923 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 640 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Born in a prison... now heading to Harvard... bjcheung77 3 587 07-06-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Johann
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,758 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 807 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Inmates use contraband cell phones to take Harvard CS Course davewill 3 809 01-25-2023, 11:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone