Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to earn a bachelors in computer science
Hello, i'm a junior software engineer looking to get a bachelors for better work opportunities, particularly for international companies.   My focus is on getting it quick and inexpensive, I'm open to klep, etc.  I don't mind the reputation of the school or anything like that, as long as it's regionally accredited.  My school background has almost no computer courses since I'm self taught, also, I'd like to find an easy way to do math, or to minimize it's role, I'm just not that good at math.  I expect to need to take courses on programming, which is fine.

I'm looking at thomas edison university and several others already. what advice would you all have to help find classes-credits that fit.

*edit* I'm pretty junior, so lots of competency based testing in coding will be an issue. I'm still starting my career.

Your Location: usa
Your Age: 39
What kind of degree do you want?:  bachelor's of computer science  
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 39

College of lake county, Total Credits: #27

Class Name, Credits, Grade
introduction to computers, 3, d
intro to criminal justice, 3, c
intro to criminology, 3, b
intro to policing, 3, a
principals of criminal investigation, 3, b
intro to substance abuse, 3, d
American national politics, 3, c
introduction to psychology, 3, c
intro to sociology, 3, c

University of south dakota total credits: 12

world regional geography, 3, c
fundamentals of speech, 3, b
western civilization II, 3, b
Film appreciation, 3, c

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

none

Provider Total Credits: #

Any certifications or military experience?

none
What state are you in? I just had someone else asking me through a private message for the same thing! Haha, what are you guys/girls doing!? My question to you is, do you have tuition assistance/reimbursement?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Have you looked into WGU? They're relatively light on math and can be done relatively quickly and cheaply, especially by someone who has experience to help them accelerate through some classes. You can also transfer in a lot of classes ahead of time from CLEP, Sophia, study.com, and others. They also have a BS in software development which is even lighter on math/theory and focuses more on application of your skills.

Also, check the 7th post on this thread:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-BSc-in-CS

You can transfer in nearly 75% of the credits for WGU's BACS(or BS SD) relatively quickly and cheaply. Since you have software engineer experience, I'd expect you could accelerate through a lot of your classes at WGU too.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
As others have stated, WGU's BS in SW Development has a lot less math in it. So that's probably a good option.

Between 12cr that WGU will bring in for the GE, and then Sophia, Study.com, and WGU-Academy, you can easily get to 68cr; the rest will have to be done through WGU (unless your company will pay for certifications that you will take on your own and then bring into WGU).

Here's what you should take:

Sophia
English Composition I
Intro to Statistics
College Algebra
Environmental Science
Project Management
Intro to IT
Intro to Relational Databases
Intro to Web Development

Study.com
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing
HUM 201: Critical Thinking & Analysis
BUS 107: Organizational Behavior
COMPSCI 108: Intro to Networking
COMPSCI 109: Intro to Programming
COMPSCI 204: Database Programming
COMPSCI 201: Data Structures & Algorithms
COMPSCI 303: Database Management
COMPSCI 307: Software Engineering

WGU-Academy
A+ Certification

DSST (if you can find an open DSST exam center)
Ethics in Technology
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If instead you want to get a BA in CompSci at TESU, here's what you need:

Sophia
English Composition I (WRITTEN COMMUNICATION)
English Composition II (WRITTEN COMMUNICATION)
Intro to Statistics (QUANTITATIVE LITERACY)
Intro to Ethics (ETHICAL LEADERSHIP)
Environmental Science (SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE)
College Algebra (NATURAL SCIENCE, MATH, AND COMPUTER SCIENCE ELECTIVES)
Intro to IT (NATURAL SCIENCE, MATH, AND COMPUTER SCIENCE ELECTIVES)
Any 6 courses that will go into Free Electives that you haven't already taken (or won't take)

Study.com
COMPSCI 109: Intro to Programming
COMPSCI 201: Data Structures & Algorithms
MAT 104: Calculus
MATH 108: Discrete Math
COMPSCI 105: Intro to Operating Systems
COMPSCI 306: Computer Architecture
BUS 303: Management Info Systems
COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design
COMPSCI 303: Database Management
2 add'l easy LL courses like Intro to Computing or Programming in a language (C, C++, Python, R)

Network Technology TECEP exam
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way, I think the cost & time will be similar: a year if you are pretty diligent:

WGU - 2 terms (12 months):
$3,920x2 = $7,840
~$1,400 for Sophia (4 months for 8 courses), Study.com (5 months for 9 courses), WGU-Academy (1 mo for 2 courses + 2 exams) & DSST ($85 + fees)
$9,240 (this can easily go down if you get through Sophia and Study.com courses more quickly, or swap out some courses for free CLEP exams)

TECEP
2 courses at TESU + fees = $6,879
~$2,000 for Sophia (7 months for 13 courses), Study.com (6 months for 11 courses), TECEP exam
$8,879 (again, this can go down by going through more quickly and/or taking some free CLEP exams)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The only major adjustments I'd make to dfrecore's suggestions (where it pertains to the WGU BSSD) is if you're doing compscI 201, 204, and 303 through SDC, you may as well take compsci 107 there as well instead of the database course at Sophia, since it will have so many overlapping lessons with the other database courses, that it will be a negligible amount of additional work. Also, I don't recommend people take HUM 201 at SDC since it will be much more work than WGU's critical thinking and logic course. I passed the final at WGU with no studying since it's a lot of common sense and logic vs multiple papers, quizzes and a test with SDC.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
For someone getting a CS degree at TESU (especially someone who would prefer to avoid math), I would recommend Calculus at StraighterLine vs. Calculus at SDC. It costs a bit more but it sounds so, SO much easier.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
My suggestion is to continue taking Sophia.org/Study.com courses that will fit both TESU & WGU degrees. The courses/partner links are great start, create your spreadsheet and see which courses will hit both degree providers. Take those first, don't rush the courses, try to get as many as you want done before you decide your "clear" answer for which degree/school you have. I would decide sooner rather than later though... but work on those Sophia.org courses and then Study.com

(07-13-2021, 06:25 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For someone getting a CS degree at TESU (especially someone who would prefer to avoid math), I would recommend Calculus at StraighterLine vs. Calculus at SDC. It costs a bit more but it sounds so, SO much easier.

StraighterLine has more info to learn, Study.com is easier I think for the credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
SL may have 'more' to learn but they also:
  • Have open book exams
  • Allow a graphing calculator on the exam
  • Don't require you to come anywhere CLOSE to passing the final exam if you do well in the rest of the course. The way that points are allocated, you can theoretically get a 0 on the final and still pass.
  • Uses ProctorU
Study.com: The biggest downside of SL, IMO, is that they use ProctorU. But this is something I'd be okay with if it makes this one class easier.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 955 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 312 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
  BS in Computer Science Clmouss 5 295 04-01-2024, 12:36 AM
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 450 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 334 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 726 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 481 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Please help! Looking to obtain Bachelors in 6months or less! Currently have 75hrs. SeanC86 9 613 03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,561 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 429 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa