Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help
Good evening. I need help navigating how to get a bachelor's degree. The credits below are from a California Community College.  Which school should I enroll into get a Business Admin degree? And what classes can I challenge to get it faster? I'm 49 yo... The credits below got me my AA, but that was slow going. When I discovered this forum and the idea of testing out of classes, I thought, if I had known, I would have challenged to get my BA faster! Urgh! Still, I have 10 more years of working, so I thought, why not try anyway. A chance to move further up would require me getting a BA in Business Admin.  Rolleyes Any help would be much appreciated. 

Course
Grade
Earned Units
AJ 24 Legal Aspects of Evidence
B
AJ 25 Criminal Investigation
A
ART 3 Art Appreciation
A
ART 43 A Beginning Drawing
A
BUS 18A Business Law
A
BUS 1A Principles of Accounting
A
BUS 1B Principles of Accounting
B-
BUS 21 Marketing
A
BUS 3 Financial Accounting
C
BUS 4 Managerial Accounting
B-
BUS 43 Legal Aspects of Real Estate
B
CIVIL 3 Autobiography of Civilizations
A
CS 11 Fundamentals of Computer Science
A
CS 17 Computer Logic
A
CS 20 MS Word/Excel/Access
A
CS 31A "C" Programming
A
CS 31B C++ Programming
D
CS 33 Systems Analysis
A
CS 54 Fundamentals of Data Communications
C
CS 56 Networking Essentials
B
ENG 1A Written Communications
A
ENG 1D Critical Composition
A
HIST 17B History of the US
A
Math 82 Intermediate Algebra
B
Photo 1A Introduction to Photography
A
PLANT 10 Principles of Plant Science
A
PLANT 10L Plant Science Lab
A
PSYCH 30 Human Sexuality
B
PYSCH 1 Intro to Psycology
B
SPCH 1A Fundamentals of Speech
A
UMPI will get you a BABA (Bachelor of Arts in Business) degree pretty quickly. It's competency-based, so almost everything is a "challenge exam" in a manner of speaking. You would also need 3 credits of a foreign language. The easiest would be Spanish through InstantCert or French and German through CLEP exams. You have a 4-credit science so that should (hopefully) work for UMPI's science requirement. You can see more information about exactly what's needed for UMPI here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222

Because you already have an AA from a CC, that also opens up TESU and COSC for a BSBA. TESU would be more expensive but has some concentrations that UMPI does not. They don't have a foreign language requirement either. For you, COSC would be about the same price as UMPI. They also do not have a foreign language requirement but they do require 30 upper-level credits (TESU requires about half this) and this many UL credits can be a lot more work.

How much time do you have to devote to everything? UMPI is quick and cheap but is best if you have a generous amount of free time; the faster you get through the courses, the less your degree costs. COSC and TESU are best if you aren't sure how much time you have to devote to your studies. No matter which school you choose, you should be good to get your degree in under a year.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
Here's my guess on the UMPI BABA:
You have 78cr left to take to complete any of the 5 concentrations; 24cr in the GEC, 30cr in the core, and 24cr in the concentration. You can take all of the remaining GEC via Sophia/Study.com. You can take 21cr of the Core via Sophia/Study.com, leaving 9cr to complete at UMPI. And then you can do the following for the concentrations:
- Management - you need 21cr additional, and can take 18cr of that via Study.com, so this would be an easy one to add to another one (so you need 1 UMPI course for this)
- Marketing - you need 24cr, 3cr can be done via Study.com (so you need 7 UMPI courses for this)
- Accounting - you need 24cr, 9cr can be taken via Study.com (so you need 5 UMPI courses for this)
- Project Management - you need 24cr, 6cr can be taken via Study.com (so you need 6 UMPI courses for this)
- Supply Chain - you need 24cr, 6cr can be taken via Study.com (so you need 6 UMPI courses for this)

I'd choose 1 and add Management; or choose Management and leave most of the concentration to complete through UMPI.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For TESU's BSBA/GM degree, you need 63cr, 54cr of which you can get through ACE/NCCRS alt-credit, 3cr of which you can get via a UExcel exam, and 6cr will be the cornerstone & capstone.

If you do the BSBA/CIS degree you need 57cr, same as above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the COSC BSBA degree, you need 60cr.

I might sign up for Sophia and take:
Macroeconomics(required at all 3 schools)
Microeconomics (required at all 3 schools)
College Algebra (required at TESU; either this or Stats needed at UMPI)
Statistics (required at TESU; either this or College Algebra needed at UMPI; not 100% COSC will take this version for Business Stats though, but can't hurt)
Environmental Science (a Physical science is required at UMPI; a non-lab science is required at COSC)
Ethics (any ethics required at TESU & COSC; can be used at UMPI in GEC)
Intro to Sociology (works at TESU for Diversity Requirement; can be used at UMPI in GEC)
Intro to Business (required at UMPI; can be used at COSC for electives)
Principles of Finance (works for TESU & COSC in the core)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I do work FT. So, its weekends and night time I can do school work, except for 5 mos April to August when Fiscal Year end begins.
Does anyone have a spreadsheet I can look at or a checklist I can check against for the 3 schools mentioned?
Mathematics unfortunately is my weak point. How difficult is it to test out of the College Algebra and Stats?
Algebra and Stats at Sophia are probably the easiest way to test out of math. Everything is open book, so you can reference the text when taking the tests (which Sophia calls milestones).

For UMPI, there is a spreadsheet at the link above. For TESU, you can check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap COSC doesn't have a business plan on the wiki (yet) but you can view https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap to see how you feel about the gen ed requirements.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Thank you, Rachel. I'll look at these plans and see what I can do. Would really love to have a BA to promote upwards.
If you don't mind the extra cost, I would probably suggest TESU over UMPI or COSC for you. It does cost a few grand more but you don't have as many UL credits to take as you do for a degree from COSC. UL credits take more time/effort. You can also walk away temporarily when work is busy and not have to worry about paying approx. $700/mo. even when you're not able to take many courses. Also, UMPI will make you take one of their math courses for a business degree. It's not especially difficult, but if math is your weak point then you may want to skip it.

Also, I have just remembered. TESU also allows you to take CSM Learn instead of Statistics. https://www.csmlearn.com/product/ACEcredit You'd still need to do Algebra at Sophia. But, for the second math slot, CSM Learn is more practical/applied math (how many kilometers in a mile, add up this product invoice, etc.) while Statistics is more abstract. Stats at Sophia IS pretty easy, but you are able to avoid it if you want/need to while still being able to get a Business degree. COSC does not accept CSM Learn and UMPI might accept CSM Learn but probably only as an elective.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com
(07-24-2021, 07:19 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you don't mind the extra cost, I would probably suggest TESU over UMPI or COSC for you. It does cost a few grand more but you don't have as many UL credits to take as you do for a degree from COSC. UL credits take more time/effort. You can also walk away temporarily when work is busy and not have to worry about paying approx. $700/mo. even when you're not able to take many courses. Also, UMPI will make you take one of their math courses for a business degree. It's not especially difficult, but if math is your weak point then you may want to skip it.

The math course from UMPI is Business Math which is very simple, basic math. It's nothing like algebra or stats.
Business Math, I can do. Since I do it everyday at work. But anything like Geometry and higher Algebra...ugh. maybe I can sort of wing College Algebra. LOL. Does working in accounting in the county count towards credits?
If you can wing College Algebra, then do the course at Sophia, it's your best bet since it's open book. I tried just that but had to drop it. It was a bit hard at the later part of the course to just wing for me personaly. The only course at Sophia I felt like that besides Accounting where I had to study more serious to remember everything.