Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help/advice
Hey everyone, I’m trying to do some research to find the best route to get a degree in Business Management. I currently work as a cardiac sonographer and went through my local CC (Harper College, semester based) to get my certification. I’m also open to other degree options but I feel as though a business degree opens a lot of doors compared to some other degrees e.g art or history. Ultimately I want to get through this a fast as possible. Any and all help/tips with a plan are appreciated.

All classes were passed with a C or better
I passed my NLN (National League for Nursing) test
Accreditation through Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs

BIO 160 Human Anatomy 4.00
BIO 161 Human Physiology 4.00
ENG 101 Composition 3.00
MTH 103 College Algebra 3.00
PHY 100 Basic Concepts in Physics 3.00

DCS 101 Elcetrocardiography I 2.00
DCS 105 Ultrasound Physics/Instrumentation I 2.00
DCS 107 Sonography Theory I 2.00
DCS 109 Sonography Lab I 1.00
HSC 112 Medical Terminology 2.00
HSC 165 Basic Pharmacology 1.00

DCS 102 Elcetrocardiography II 2.00
DCS 106 Ultrasound Physics/Instrumentation II 2.00
DCS 108 Sonography Theory II 2.00
DCS 110 Sonography Lab II 1.00
HSC 104 Health Care Technology & Informatics 2.00
HSC 213 Legal & Ethical Issues in Health Care 2.00
DCS 112 Sonography Lab III 1.00

DCS 207 Cardiac Sonography Theory I 6.00
DCS 209 Cardiac Sonography Lab I 2.00
SGN 101 American Sign Language I 3.00
DCS 208 Cardiac Sonography Theory II 6.00
DCS 210 Cardiac Sonography Lab II 2.00
DCS 220 Introduction to the Cardiac Sonography Clinical 3.00
SPE 101 Fundamentals of Speech Communication 3.00
DCS 230 Cardiac Sonography Clinical 5.00
Do you want to stay in health care?  If so, a Business degree in Healthcare management might be your best bet.

Just a quick note - you're better off somewhere other than TESU for a business degree if you want to use your credits - you will lose a ton of these credits if you go to TESU, as they only allow for 6cr of Free Electives - and I'm pretty sure all of your DCS and HSC credits will be lost.  Instead, you should think about COSC.  They have a degree in Healthcare Administration, plus the ability to customize your degree in Individualized Studies, you might be able to have a BALS in Healthcare/Sonography (you could take your UL Healthcare Administration courses at Study.com).

For TESU, it's not really worth creating a degree plan, but I'll give you one anyway.  You'll lose 38cr (or at least, you can't use those in the degree).  If you want the BSBA in HCM, then you just remove all of the General Management options and replace with the HCM portion which is down at the bottom of the page.

For COSC, I did not include the BSBA, although you could do that.  But you might want to talk to someone there about the BALS in Healthcare Administration/Sonography and see what they have to say.

Attached Files
.pdf   conrad773 TESU BSBA1 GenMan.pdf (Size: 73.11 KB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   conrad776 COSC BALS.pdf (Size: 51.65 KB / Downloads: 11)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you! I don’t want to stay in health care anymore, I’ve had a few family members pass away from cancer and working in health care is a constant reminder of that. I’ve also been considering early education, I’m a dual citizen and one of the easiest jobs to find in Europe or Asia is an ESL teacher. I know that you don’t necessarily need a degree in teaching in most countries but rather just a TEFL certificate. But if I go that route I’d rather do it right, get my early education degree, get my TEFL, get two years of experience teaching in South Korea or Thailand and then get my CELTA. With all of that I’ll be able to teach in just about any country in the world. As of right now everything is still up in the air. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Then I would just get a BALS degree, since more of your credits will fit into that than a BSBA. But you have the BSBA plan from TESU, and the COSC degree is similar.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You mentioned dual citizenship and ESL - what language(s) are you fluent in? You may be able to pick up credits there that would fit into one or more of the degree path options.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • cookderosa
(12-27-2018, 05:50 PM)Conrad773 Wrote: But if I go that route I’d rather do it right, get my early education degree, get my TEFL, get two years of experience teaching in South Korea or Thailand and then get my CELTA. With all of that I’ll be able to teach in just about any country in the world. As of right now everything is still up in the air.

An early education degree will take longer and need practicum/internship.

You may want to get an English degree at TESU. It's not as cheap and quick as a BALS at TESU, but it seems more appropriate for your future plans, if you are going for ESL.

Or maybe do the quick BALS so you can use your time and money toward the TEFL certificate.

A TEFL certificate doesn't take long at all. If you want to "do it the right way" then being an actual qualified teacher with a teaching license is the best way to be employed abroad while earning a good salary. Just a degree and a certificate will regulate you to being an ALT only or being employed in English conversation schools.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Not sure where you live, but the fastest/cheapest way to get a teaching degree is through WGU, provided you live in the US. They have 10 different degrees that all lead to licensure, and I think you can do all of your GE's and then enroll and be done including student teaching in a year.
(12-28-2018, 08:08 AM)allvia Wrote: You mentioned dual citizenship and ESL - what language(s) are you fluent in? You may be able to pick up credits there that would fit into one or more of the degree path options.

I was born and raised in the US and I obtained dual citizenship through birthright, my parents were both born in Poland. I speak Polish but not fluently and my reading and writing is mediocre to say the least. Also I’m unaware of any school that offers Polish, I’ve seen German, French and Spanish but never Polish.
@Conrad773 if you want a fast degree you cant beat a Liberal Studies degree TESU is well known, but COSC may be cheaper.

Though if I had the privilege of US citizenship as you do, I would do Western Governors University. It's a really good deal, especially as others have mentioned if you want to get into teaching.

Do WGU, it will benefit you in the long run, its awesome value.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • mzcutie85

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,635 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,235 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,048 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,025 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 712 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 978 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,766 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,194 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,275 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007