Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help figuring out what to do next - Excelsior College
Hello everyone,

I just received my pre-eliminary review from Excelsior College. I decided to pursuit the Bachelor of Professional Studies - Business and Management which allows me to transfer up to 117 credits into the program. I am attaching the letter I received from them with the list of requirements and also an excel spreadsheet that I put together to help me keep track of what I need to graduate. I was wondering if someone culd look through it and help me determine if this right or if I am off. Also, what do I do next??? Do I start taking classes on Study.com, accumulate credits, and wait until I am ready to transfer them officially to Excelsior? 

I appreciate all the help I can get from you! Thank you so much!!

Maria Smile

Attached Files
.pdf   Excelsior Pre-eliminary Plan.pdf (Size: 122.11 KB / Downloads: 19)
.xlsx   Excelsior Plan - Mom.xlsx (Size: 13.34 KB / Downloads: 14)
(03-12-2019, 12:01 PM)codyandmaria2002 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I just received my pre-eliminary review from Excelsior College. I decided to pursuit the Bachelor of Professional Studies - Business and Management which allows me to transfer up to 117 credits into the program. I am attaching the letter I received from them with the list of requirements and also an excel spreadsheet that I put together to help me keep track of what I need to graduate. I was wondering if someone culd look through it and help me determine if this right or if I am off. Also, what do I do next??? Do I start taking classes on Study.com, accumulate credits, and wait until I am ready to transfer them officially to Excelsior? 

Maria Smile

I would do any Study.com courses close to last because they are so expensive and have the monthly fee. Exelsior takes ACE credits and NCCRS credits from Saylor.org. Have you seen the courses available for college credit there? https://www.saylor.org/credit/#courses

Those cost $0, but you need to pay $25 for ProctorU if you want to take the exam from home. If you have a library or other place close to you that can proctor for free, you could do that, but it's more work for the Saylor people. I would exhaust these options first, but watch your upper-level requirements.

You may be able to get your Ethics requirement, 1 credit for the .66 through their Introduction to Sociology, College Algebra, etc. Saylor does not have any recommended upper level credits now, though. I would double check with your advisor to make sure any courses you choose transfer. Note that some Saylor courses don't offer credit, so make sure you're on the Saylor Direct College Credit page.

Davar Academy, Study.com, Coopersmith, and TECEP exams, etc will help you to get some upper level credits. Luckily, business credits are easier to come by. I would avoid anyone with a monthly fee until free options have been exhausted.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(03-12-2019, 01:58 PM)udi Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 12:01 PM)codyandmaria2002 Wrote: Hello everyone,

Maria Smile

I would do any Study.com courses close to last because they are so expensive and have the monthly fee. Exelsior takes ACE credits and NCCRS credits from Saylor.org. Have you seen the courses available for college credit there? https://www.saylor.org/credit/#courses

Those cost $0, but you need to pay $25 for ProctorU if you want to take the exam from home. If you have a library or other place close to you that can proctor for free, you could do that, but it's more work for the Saylor people. I would exhaust these options first, but watch your upper-level requirements.

You may be able to get your Ethics requirement, 1 credit for the .66 through their Introduction to Sociology, College Algebra, etc. Saylor does not have any recommended upper level credits now, though. I would double check with your advisor to make sure any courses you choose transfer. Note that some Saylor courses don't offer credit, so make sure you're on the Saylor Direct College Credit page.

Davar Academy, Study.com, Coopersmith, and TECEP exams, etc will help you to get some upper level credits. Luckily, business credits are easier to come by. I would avoid anyone with a monthly fee until free options have been exhausted.

This is very helpful. Thank you so much!
EC has an annual fee, so I would wait until I was much closer to maybe 100-110cr minimum before enrolling. You don't want to pay for a 2nd year if you don't have to.

When someone says that Study.com is "expensive" I would say "relative to..?" They are crazy cheap compared to courses at EC for instance. More expensive than Saylor. But honestly, $100/course is insanely cheap for a college degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • codyandmaria2002
(03-12-2019, 11:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: EC has an annual fee, so I would wait until I was much closer to maybe 100-110cr minimum before enrolling.  You don't want to pay for a 2nd year if you don't have to.

When someone says that Study.com is "expensive" I would say "relative to..?"  They are crazy cheap compared to courses at EC for instance.  More expensive than Saylor.  But honestly, $100/course is insanely cheap for a college degree.

Yes, I agree that $100 per course is very cheap. My daugther is working on her AS through highschool and she is using Study.com. I also like the videos better. I am going to try doing a few with Saylor just to try and see how I like it. Thanks so much for your input.  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 6 486 02-17-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  College choice KnowledgeQuest 9 641 01-30-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: KnowledgeQuest
  online community college pathway to asu bs mech engg galactus 9 606 01-08-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Help, degree plan for Excelsior BS in IT LuisaKönig 5 476 01-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Central Texas College Melhux 0 210 12-11-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Melhux
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,341 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Which College/Degree? A lot of credits. dillpickles 117 8,088 10-28-2023, 10:58 PM
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 481 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  I Have 124 Credits - Need Help Figuring out the Most Efficient Path for a Degree jacobvanhelden 22 1,254 09-27-2023, 05:53 PM