Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help to start my degree!

1) Basic info about yourself: A mini introduction and degree you are looking for! New to DegreeForum, looking into my options. (More about me below.)
Have you read the Beginners Guide?
http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/The_Basic_Approach - Y
Have you read the Wiki?
http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
- Y
Do you have any certificates? Credits from previous studies? -
Y

2) Answer the following questions, so I can better gauge which of the 3 you're looking at - cheap, easy, or fast.
A) Are you close to a testing site for CLEP? How far and how long would it take you to get there and back?
No and I would prefer to do online.
B) Do you have time to study and test at a site or would you rather do everything online for a little extra in price?
Rather do online for extra price.
C) What is your price range you're looking at for the degree and time you want to set to complete the degree?
I would like to get a bachelor’s under $10K by the end of 2022.
D) Are you leaning towards cheap, easy, fast or a combo of them all? Rank them in priority.
Easy, cheap, Fast.

3) Have you applied to the school of choice, are you currently enrolled (taking a course)? Y/N

I applied to WGU for free, received credit evaluation. Then I discovered DegreeForum.  Have not applied anywhere else yet or started any courses. Interested in Big 3 also.

Do you have an academic evaluation? Y/N - If yes, copy/paste the evaluation.

Accepted transfers from WGU for BASB Accounting: English Comp 1, Intro to Humanities, Principles of Economics.

If no, enter all your credits you have completed and note the school/course you took and grade.

Transcripts:
Community College, CA, 2001
·         Philosphy 1 C
·         Intro to Photography B
Community College, WA, 2003
·         Econ 110 Survey of Economics 3.6
·         English 101 3.6
·         POLS 201 Intro to Politics & Govt 4
·         ENG 232 Creative Short Stories 2

4) What exactly are you looking for help with or advice on?  
---
Hi,

I am a stay at home mom with not much “me time”. I would like to obtain a bachelor’s degree for better employment options when my youngest goes to school in a couple years. Ideally, I would like to work in an office position in a school district or a city government job. Before children, I worked in administrative assistant/customer service office positions. I think a Business Administration and or accounting would be appropriate for me, possible HR. I was very happy to stumble on this site and all the incredible contributors.
I have some credits. I am a quick learner, okay tester. I used to be “smart” before getting a “mom-brain”. I typically did well in math and English. I feel like I could get back into the swing of studying.  I have read the guide, wiki, several posts and still have questions. I am far from a testing site. I have small segments of time (often with distractions\disruptions) throughout the week and would prefer to do everything online. I am interested in getting as many credits as possible to transfer to WGU. My concern with WGU is how many terms it would take me to finish the remaining 30 credits and difficulty passing the courses with time constraints. I am also interested in the Big 3, but a little unsure about how hard it would be to finalize a degree. I like the credit options with Saylor, Study, Straighterline, etc.   I do not qualify for financial aid and we have some savings and credit. I would like to spend less than $10k. I would like to find the easy, fast, cheap option and most importantly, the smartest degree route.
Update on Question 4: How busy are you? How much time do you have to spend on studying?  Do you have family/kids that you have to attend to?  Have you done a search for answers to your questions on the forum or through a search engine?
I am very busy with two energetic, time consuming boys, a senior dog and a puppy, an taking care of an overworked/overstressed husband. I usually do the brunt of all housework, cooking, cleaning and parenting duties.  It may sound easy to be a stay at home mom, but it is a lot for me. I do not get help with my children pretty much ever. I also babysit other children. To give you an idea, I worked on a big craft project before the holidays and it took a month of staying up until 2 AM every night because that was the only way I could actually have time to work on something by myself. I finished but I was exhausted. For my degree, I figure with taking one course at a time, I can study in small segments throughout the day/at night and work at my own pace.  
I have searched for answers and read many posts on the forum.  I am looking for personal advice from the great minds here.

What I need is – advice, opinions and answers –

·         What are the Big 3 like after you apply and through graduation? Are they helpful? Is it a simple process? Are there many obstacles? Which one do you prefer? Is there an updated price comparison or degree plan spreadsheet available?
·         Which degree would be the easiest to work on and comprehend? Business Admin, Accounting, Human Resources. There are jobs that I am interested in that would probably correspond with either of these. Or maybe I should just get a BALS.
·         In your opinion, should I finish 90 credits and transfer to WGU or plan on one of the Big 3 from the start? Any opinions on WGU?
·         How long would you estimate it taking me to get through each step?
·         Any advice?
I understand there are a lot of questions. Any advice and recommendations are appreciated. 
   Smile
(02-05-2020, 11:25 PM)Boymomneedsadegree Wrote: ...To give you an idea, I worked on a big craft project before the holidays and it took a month of staying up until 2 AM every night because that was the only way I could actually have time to work on something by myself. I finished but I was exhausted. For my degree, I figure with taking one course at a time, I can study in small segments throughout the day/at night and work at my own pace.  ...

Good news for you is that business degrees are one of the most common and well understood around here. What you want to accomplish is very doable. I think that COSC or TESU would be a much better fit for you. Unlike WGU, you can do everything on your own schedule. Once you start WGU, you have to work fast or pay much more for your degree. I felt the same way you did, that one course at a time was what I could handle with a full-time job and an busy travel schedule.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio? - InstantCert Credit
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Boymomneedsadegree
I agree with davewill for the reasons he stated.  If a general business degree will work then COSC is the lowest cost.  If you want accounting then TESU is your choice as COSC doesn't offer concentrations (in accounting). Either works for the budget you listed.

Thomas Edison State University (TESU) 
- BSBA General Management, December 2018
- ASNSM in Computer Science, December 2018
[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Boymomneedsadegree
(02-06-2020, 11:35 AM)davewill Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 11:25 PM)Boymomneedsadegree Wrote: ...To give you an idea, I worked on a big craft project before the holidays and it took a month of staying up until 2 AM every night because that was the only way I could actually have time to work on something by myself. I finished but I was exhausted. For my degree, I figure with taking one course at a time, I can study in small segments throughout the day/at night and work at my own pace.  ...

Good news for you is that business degrees are one of the most common and well understood around here. What you want to accomplish is very doable. I think that COSC or TESU would be a much better fit for you. Unlike WGU, you can do everything on your own schedule. Once you start WGU, you have to work fast or pay much more for your degree. I felt the same way you did, that one course at a time was what I could handle with a full-time job and an busy travel schedule.

Thank you! I appreciate your time and advice. I am so glad I found this forum!

(02-06-2020, 11:45 AM)allvia Wrote: I agree with davewill for the reasons he stated.  If a general business degree will work then COSC is the lowest cost.  If you want accounting then TESU is your choice as COSC doesn't offer concentrations. Either works for the budget you listed.

Thank you!  Smile

(02-06-2020, 11:45 AM)allvia Wrote: I agree with davewill for the reasons he stated.  If a general business degree will work then COSC is the lowest cost.  If you want accounting then TESU is your choice as COSC doesn't offer concentrations. Either works for the budget you listed.

Thank you!  Smile
I would say that COSC or TESU is a better option than WGU right now. On the other hand, it sounds as if you could start the process now and go fairly slowly (so nothing with a 1-mo deadline), but then when your youngest goes to school, you could actually spend 3-6 months at WGU finishing up your degree in a single term. You probably don't have to go get a job the minute he starts kindergarten - and that might be a great time to finish up with plenty of time on your hands to get done.

So, maybe you plan out the things you need to take, and start with free/cheap stuff, including Khan Academy for math, and you create a plan that will work for all 3 schools. Then as you get closer (like a year in), you start to narrow it down.

And just an FYI, COSC does have concentrations available for the BSBA, but they don't offer accounting as a concentration. That may be what allvia meant.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, Boymomneedsadegree
Hi OP, I got your PM, just wondering, which state are you in now? CA or WA? I suggest getting your General Education and some of the Professional Business Requirements done, up to 90 credits through alternative means. I would also make sure they transfer to both COSC/TESU, you can do so with the transferable ACE/NCCRS courses on Sophia.org or StraighterLine/Study.com. If you are heading to WGU, then don't take anything that's NCCRS (such as coopersmith, davar, or onlinedegree.com)

I would suggest getting to know online learning by taking the FREE courses on the wiki first, these can be used as general education/free elective courses. Once done, you can then take the CSM Learn course for a math/stat or gen ed requirement, take ALEKS for College Algebra. Then take all the onlinedegree.com courses you can to get the 44 credits, start with COOKING 101, do the applied science, social sciences, and lastly work on the natural sciences last. When you have some more credits on your ACE transcript, decide on the school or program.

FYI, if you're not sure what program you want, a BSBA General Management might be better than a BALS with No Concentration. In the event you choose TESU, you can add an AOS in Accounting or just get the Accounting Certificate. The main thing is to start and get the bulk of your gen ed/free electives and some of the business core done through Onlinedegree.com
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Business & IT Certs (Lean, 6Sigma, Google IT Professional, etc)
Udacity Nanodegree: AI Product Manager, Digital Marketer

Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
ENEB Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2019 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Boymomneedsadegree
(02-06-2020, 03:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that COSC or TESU is a better option than WGU right now.  On the other hand, it sounds as if you could start the process now and go fairly slowly (so nothing with a 1-mo deadline), but then when your youngest goes to school, you could actually spend 3-6 months at WGU finishing up your degree in a single term.  You probably don't have to go get a job the minute he starts kindergarten - and that might be a great time to finish up with plenty of time on your hands to get done.

So, maybe you plan out the things you need to take, and start with free/cheap stuff, including Khan Academy for math, and you create a plan that will work for all 3 schools.  Then as you get closer (like a year in), you start to narrow it down.

And just an FYI, COSC does have concentrations available for the BSBA, but they don't offer accounting as a concentration.  That may be what allvia meant.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it!

(02-08-2020, 04:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi OP, I got your PM, just wondering, which state are you in now?  CA or WA?  I suggest getting your General Education and some of the Professional Business Requirements done, up to 90 credits through alternative means.  I would also make sure they transfer to both COSC/TESU, you can do so with the transferable ACE/NCCRS courses on Sophia.org or StraighterLine/Study.com.  If you are heading to WGU, then don't take anything that's NCCRS (such as coopersmith, davar, or onlinedegree.com)

I would suggest getting to know online learning by taking the FREE courses on the wiki first, these can be used as general education/free elective courses.  Once done, you can then take the CSM Learn course for a math/stat or gen ed requirement, take ALEKS for College Algebra.  Then take all the onlinedegree.com courses you can to get the 44 credits, start with COOKING 101, do the applied science, social sciences, and lastly work on the natural sciences last.  When you have some more credits on your ACE transcript, decide on the school or program.

FYI, if you're not sure what program you want, a BSBA General Management might be better than a BALS with No Concentration.  In the event you choose TESU, you can add an AOS in Accounting or just get the Accounting Certificate.  The main thing is to start and get the bulk of your gen ed/free electives and some of the business core done through Onlinedegree.com
Thank you for your time and advice! I am currently in WA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you explain your degree at a job interview when asked? BrighterFuture88 16 547 7 hours ago
Last Post: raycathode
  No credits to degree backtoschool2020 18 538 02-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 174 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Criminal Justice BA Degree - best place to get it kevinmane 9 341 01-27-2020, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Sacricolist
  Best Computer Science degree? conexp 36 1,153 01-22-2020, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Union Members: Free Associate's Degree eriehiker 32 6,236 01-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Last Post: wow
  A college like WGU where I can test out of a degree Fast!! Please help!! Forest.green1 14 1,000 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Merlin
Heart Okay, let's talk about it: Degree Planning Masterclass jsd 32 3,145 01-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Last Post: alab21
Question Degree from an Online College? Alex159753 0 299 01-01-2020, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Alex159753
  NEW USER WGU DEGREE PLAN melissarenee 4 511 12-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Last Post: akr680