Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with TESU plan - possible issue w/ UL/LL
Big Grin 
Hey all!

I have 2 problems that I hope you can help me with. I had to reapply to TESU, so I am in the 2019A catalog.

1) I think I overbought some LL courses and now I'm thinking they all won't fit into my planned BA.LSGM (BA in Libert Arts with Gen Management concentration). I'm wondering if I should go with a general BALS to maximize the courses.

Also,

2) I took 2 courses in 2017 when they were still an upper-level status (were due to expire end of 2017) and am now wondering how they will be UL if I do a concentration. They are History 108: History of the Vietnam War and Psychology 104: Social Psychology. If I changed to just a BALS will they go in as UL?

Is anyone willing to take a stab at it and help me figure out which plan would use up all courses the best way possible and correct any errors that I have (which I'm sure I do?)

There are 3 tabs in the excel sheet attached.

I would totally use the academic wizard at TESU but it is not updated for 2019A degrees and still shows the results for catalog 2018. Sad

Thanks!! You guys are so amazing and have always been, and I really appreciate your time and expertise!

Danielle

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU.xlsx (Size: 19.24 KB / Downloads: 22)
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Are those History 108: History of the Vietnam War and Psychology 104: Social Psychology already showing on your eval as UL? If so TESU does not normally (never known it to happen) go back and change their original equivalency credit. Now if they used to count as UL and you never sent them the transcripts when you took them, and therefore they have not yet been evaluated by TESU then you would get what is their current level is when they receive the transcripts.  This is why I am personally a big proponent of getting what you courses you plan for UL to them asap once you complete them, once they credit your evaluation with an equivalent they don't go back and downgrade.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-20-2019, 04:53 PM)allvia Wrote: Are those History 108: History of the Vietnam War and Psychology 104: Social Psychology already showing on your eval as UL? If so TESU does not normally (never known it to happen) go back and change their original equivalency credit. Now if they used to count as UL and you never sent them the transcripts when you took them, and therefore they have not yet been evaluated by TESU then you would get what is their current level is when they receive the transcripts.  This is why I am personally a big proponent of getting what you courses you plan for UL to them asap once you complete them, once they credit your evaluation with an equivalent they don't go back and downgrade.

Ugh, when I took those courses I was enrolled for that catalog, then lapsed due to family issues/illness and reapplied recently. 

But I have no idea if those come in as UL since I'm in the BALS with General Management concentration. Does that have any room for UL general LS courses?
(03-20-2019, 06:52 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Ugh, when I took those courses I was enrolled for that catalog, then lapsed due to family issues/illness and reapplied recently. 

But I have no idea if those come in as UL since I'm in the BALS with General Management concentration. Does that have any room for UL general LS courses?

The important part is whether they were already transferred in. If they are, then I think it likely that they would keep the old equivalencies (and you should be able to see that in your academic eval). If they aren't then you're going to get the current equivalencies.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-20-2019, 07:01 PM)davewill Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 06:52 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Ugh, when I took those courses I was enrolled for that catalog, then lapsed due to family issues/illness and reapplied recently. 

The important part is whether they were already transferred in. If they are, then I think it likely that they would keep the old equivalencies (and you should be able to see that in your academic eval). If they aren't then you're going to get the current equivalencies.

Hey Dave, you're always so helpful to everyone. thank you!

I reapplied recently, so 2019A catalog, so I'm guessing my efforts circa 2017 for naught?

UGH!
Ok, so your spreadsheet is super complicated, and isn't providing enough info, so I'm winging it here.

1) You've only completed 42cr overall, and I can't tell what you've already purchased vs. what you just have open slots for. Like, it says purchased/need to do for the Sophia Public Speaking course, but then in GE Electives you have SL courses and TECEP's that don't say "purchased/need to do, so does that mean you've planned them but haven't purchased them yet?

2) The BALS w/GM concentration has 5 UL courses that should complete your UL AOS requirements, and then 1 LL course which will work in the LL AOS. That leaves space for 4 LL courses, which you've already taken. So you're fine if you haven't already bought all of those courses I'm wondering about.

The easiest thing to do is 1) remove all of the courses you haven't yet purchased from the list, so we can actually see what you've completed and what you're locked into; and 2) use the taken/need columns correctly to give you subtotals (so when you take something, put the number in the taken column and zero out the need column; and 3) to really make life easier, don't subtotal every section - just put a subtotal for all GE's, and another subtotal for all AOS and Free Electives, and then a grand total adding those 2 subtotals up; make sure to include the total of taken & need so you get a minimum of 60 for each subtotal to make sure you're on track. If you make these changes, it will be so much easier for you to keep track of what's going on, and easier to ask questions here as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hi dfrecore! 

I think that's exactly why I'm confused! It is complicated!

There is a tab, the 1st one, with all the courses are broken down by completion / purchased. 

Does that help?

I'm sorry that it's unclear. My apologies!

Danielle
Hey all!

I just completed a course and figured I'd just copy and paste here instead of attaching the file:

Completed:

ENG101 ENG101 College Composition I 12/01/92
PHI-384 Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct - The Institute (they stuck this in diversity, so I will contact them)
ART101 Introduction to Art-12/01/92
HIS103 Ancient & Medieval Foundat 12/01/92
LIBRA1101 Intro to Libraries & Info Age 05/01/17
ART222 Sculpture I 05/01/93
CIS105 Intro to Info Syst 03/01/04
FRS101 Freshman Seminar 12/01/92
HEA110 Health Science 05/01/93
LIBRA1105 Readers Advisory 05/01/17
CIS175 Intro to Networking 03/01/04
HIS-351 SD - History of the Vietnam War - 10/09/2017
EDU-319 SD - Education 103: Classroom Management - 08/22/2017
EDU-299 SD - Education 104: Differentiated Instruction - 09/20/2017
PSY-370 SD - Psychology 104: Social Psychology  - 12/13/2017 (this isn't showing yet - had to contact SD to send a transcript in)
Sophia.org Conflict Resolution
Sophia.org US History I

Purchased/still to complete:

SL – Introduction to Psychology – PSY101 3
SL - Introduction to Nutrition – NUTRI101 3
SL- Sociology 101: Intro to Sociology 3
Sophia.org - Public Speaking 3
Sophia.org College Algebra 3
Sophia.org Human Biology 3
Sophia.org Intro to Information Technology 3
Sophia.org Visual Communications 3
Sophia.org US History II 3
Sophia.org Introduction to Information Technology 3
Sophia.org Ancient Greek Philosophers 3

free stuff to complete:

TEEX Cyber 101
TEEX Cyber 201
TEEX Cyber 301
Sophia.org - Developing Effective Teams
Sophia.org - Essentials of Managing Conflict
Sophia.org - Student Success

Thanks! 

Danielle
Hi guys!

So I think I understand now what you're saying, and dfrecore, I implemented all your suggestions and now everything makes better sense! THANK YOU! You are the best!!

So basically, those UL that I had done in 2017 are not going to be UL any longer. So there's no real incentive in switching to a BALS now, especially if I can fit everything into the BALS with Gen Management concentration.

Also, the only UL I have to worry about is the AOS, gotcha.

I have attached a new, revised spreadsheet. Pretty sure it's correct now.

Thanks so much allvia, davewill, dfrecore for your help and clarification!!!!

Danielle Smile

Attached Files
.xlsx   BALSGM.xlsx (Size: 12.77 KB / Downloads: 9)
(03-21-2019, 10:18 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Hey all!

I just completed a course and figured I'd just copy and paste here instead of attaching the file:

Completed:

HIS-351 SD - History of the Vietnam War - 10/09/2017

Since this is already on your TESU evaluation, they will leave it as UL

PSY-370 SD - Psychology 104: Social Psychology  - 12/13/2017 (this isn't showing yet - had to contact SD to send a transcript in)

Had you sent TESU the transcript when you took the course you may have gotten UL; however, they do not give UL credit for this course anymore - so it will come in as LL (as it is going to be evaluated based on its ACE, or NCCRS, recommendation - which is LL).  This is a prime example of sending your UL planned credits to TESU as soon as you earn them - if they change their rules before they give you the UL credits, you'll loose out. This applies most importantly when the ACE &/or NCCRS recommendation is LL
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 70 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 76 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 70 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 122 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 249 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 253 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 205 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 376 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM