Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help...
I'm stuck on writing a Letter of Intent in completing my transfer application to the University of Nebraska at Kearney. I've Googled some examples and "how to's" but this bit from the UNK website seems to belie some of what I've read elsewhere:

[INDENT]This letter should be a concise essay concerning your career goals and identification of the means by which you propose to achieve these goals. Accomplishments you have made toward these goals should be included, but personal information should not be included in this letter.[/INDENT]

Can anyone give me some advice and ideas? I'm really stumped at this point. Thanks!
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I usually get writer's block in this type of situation, so I understand your worries. If I can get something on the page, at least I have something to edit.

I would say to write your story with your background and goals. (Where are you coming from? Where are you going? How is this program going to help you do that?) This is your chance to put a personal touch on the rest of the paperwork that you are submitting. This is your chance to talk about something unique to you that may be different from all of the other applicants.

You can edit the personal areas later. I'm sure mine was way too personal for this particular comment. Aren't you applying to the history program, not science? Maybe there is a difference in philosophy between the program applications.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Another thought - If you feel you need to make a comment about your non-traditional education, this would be an opportunity to say something about it.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Google or look up company Mission Statements and or Purpose statements…I get my best ideas and most specific ideas from following these steps:

1. What do you want to do
2. How will you get there
3. Is it in line with the institution you are applying to…if yes, then Brainstorm ideas, if not look at the institutions goals, values, and mission statement. That should get the ball rolling. Be more specific in what YOU want, the goals YOU will focus on accomplishing (and that are doable BECAUSE of the experience you bring to the table…not mushy and personal, but matter of fact. For example, I might say. "The purpose of my research is to gain an understanding of the potential causes of Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder, in order to pinpoint the pivotal factors to potentially prevent, or at least successfully treat the debilitating factors of this disorder for patients and their families. In order to conclude the clearest evidence and adapt the best clinical practices, I will leverage my 20 years of experience as a pediatric nurse, both in the clinical and corporate environments".
4. Still stuck after brain storming your own goals, experience & ideas? Read more company mission statements and Purpose statements. Especially try using companies that you like or start following people that you like. Ask for your friend and peers to point out your strengths, strictly as a professional.
5. See if you can find examples of former successful students who sent in a letter. You can find this by using Linked In or other social media and searching graduates of the program you want to get it. Link up or "friend" them and ask what they did what advice they have.

Best of Luck!
Tara

IrishJohn Wrote:I'm stuck on writing a Letter of Intent in completing my transfer application to the University of Nebraska at Kearney. I've Googled some examples and "how to's" but this bit from the UNK website seems to belie some of what I've read elsewhere:

[INDENT]This letter should be a concise essay concerning your career goals and identification of the means by which you propose to achieve these goals. Accomplishments you have made toward these goals should be included, but personal information should not be included in this letter.[/INDENT]

Can anyone give me some advice and ideas? I'm really stumped at this point. Thanks!
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]