Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some kinda degree YESTERDAY
(06-09-2020, 11:02 AM)adamsupersixfour Wrote: Thank you guys for some really awesome feedback. My MOS is 31A military police and I have not pulled my JST yet. I am just trying to compile the civilian stuff I have because it's easier to get all in one place and doesn't require lots of eval.

RE: TESU vs WGU, I REALLY need to do this at my own pace, which means moving very fast, i.e. multiple tests / classes every week. Can I do this with TESU?

Waiting for a degree cert to arrive would be really maddening.

So with all you guys have told me, based upon my own motivation, could I still knock out TESU as fast as WGU.

Set aside military discounts right now, let's just say I will pay to go as fast as I can.

TESU online / guided study courses are not self-paced and run in a standard 12-week college semester. Guided study does let you work ahead if you prefer to do all the assignments at the beginning, and e-Pack courses are essentially expensive TECEP test-outs with self-paced practice material.

Your strategy to accelerate at TESU will probably be to transfer in as much alt-credit as possible, take the cornerstone+capstone in one semester, pay the residency waiver and graduation fees, and you're done.
(06-09-2020, 11:02 AM)adamsupersixfour Wrote: Thank you guys for some really awesome feedback. My MOS is 31A military police and I have not pulled my JST yet. I am just trying to compile the civilian stuff I have because it's easier to get all in one place and doesn't require lots of eval.

RE: TESU vs WGU, I REALLY need to do this at my own pace, which means moving very fast, i.e. multiple tests / classes every week. Can I do this with TESU?

So with all you guys have told me, based upon my own motivation, could I still knock out TESU as fast as WGU.

Set aside military discounts right now, let's just say I will pay to go as fast as I can.
How quick do you need it? TESU if you can transfer in everything except the capstone and cornerstone it could be relatively quick I believe the cornerstone is either 8wks or 12wks and the capstone is 12wks. WGU could be pretty fast too, however again it really depends on how much you can transfer in. And what degree you're going for. With 31A a Criminal Justice degree maybe pretty quick.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

This is what I'm referring to at TESU: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

But given your military and credits I think TESU is still the best option. You could knock TESU as fast as WGU.

TESU time line:
the time it takes to evaluate all your credits (usually a month)
the time it takes to get to 114 credits (add another month or two but you can work on more while they evaluating your existing stuff
12 weeks (3 months) a term a TESU

So realistically you are looking at about 5 - 6 months, maybe less if you worked faster. But 4 months absolute minimum considering a term is 3 months and you can't start that right this second on the term.

The only thing is once you finish your degree will take another 3-5 months to confer. So total timeline is 7 to 12 months until actual diploma in hand.

WGU confers their degrees at the end of each month (someone correct me if I"m wrong) so no waiting on that. That is what I was referring to.
(06-09-2020, 11:02 AM)adamsupersixfour Wrote: RE: TESU vs WGU, I REALLY need to do this at my own pace, which means moving very fast, i.e. multiple tests / classes every week. Can I do this with TESU?

If you use Study.com, Sophia (which is free right now), and the other alternate credit sources, yes. You could do this. The only hitch is the capstone/cornerstone requirements with TESU. You can't do the capstone until you've done most of the rest of the credits and neither of these are do-at-your-own-pace. But you can do everything else as fast as possible. 

Study.com lets you do 2 courses for $200 per month, additional ones are $70 each and you can do up to 3 additional ones.

Sophia has no such restrictions.

Davar lets you take 2 business classes a month for $99. GE courses are, IIRC, $70. Proctoring fees not included.

InstantCertCredit lets you take 1 exam a month for $20.

Then there are Coopersmith and Straighterline. I don't think either of them have any restrictions on how many/often you can take different tests.
(06-09-2020, 02:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Study.com lets you do 2 courses for $200 per month, additional ones are $70 each and you can do up to 3 additional ones.

Sophia has no such restrictions.

Davar lets you take 2 business classes a month for $99. GE courses are, IIRC, $70. Proctoring fees not included.

InstantCertCredit lets you take 1 exam a month for $20.

Then there are Coopersmith and Straighterline. I don't think either of them have any restrictions on how many/often you can take different tests.

Correct. Davar is 2/$99 for business courses. The only Gen Ed I took from them was $80. No restrictions on the number of courses.
They do allow you to choose either RPNow or ProctorFU, so you can keep the proctoring cost down and still take it as soon as you're ready, using RPNow @ $15.

Coopersmith has no restrictions, you can take as many courses as you like. Unfortunately, they require ProctorFU, which, in my experience, charged me the standard $18 exam fee plus a $12 "Take it Now" fee anytime I tried to schedule less than 72 hours in advance, making it effectively twice the cost of RPNow.
I don't have experience with TESU and did my degree in under a year at COSC - but COSC changed so many policies, that my degree plan is no longer possible there.
I would vote for TESU. Even though WGU is at-your-own-pace, the grind you'd have to do via WGU would probably take more than a single six-month term as you're just not going to be able to transfer in most of your degree before starting on their curriculum and would have to grind through their system of coursework.

IF you cover all the credit requirements this summer by grinding on Sophia/Study.com/Straighterline/Davar for TESU before you start the cornerstone/capstone, you could LIKELY get into the fall semester and graduate at the end of the year... (I THINK.) Even if you COULD grind through WGU in a single term, you're still likely not graduating before the end of the year anyway...so might as well take advantage of TESU's cost savings. I think you're looking at half a year of work no matter what.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 0 17 2 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 586 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,162 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,899 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 194 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,105 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,292 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 533 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM