Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to do exactly 3 courses
I'm a state employee and to get a promotion to the next class, I need exactly three college courses, Business Law, Elementary and Intermediate Accounting from an accredited institution. I already have a bachelor's degree. I was hoping to figure out how to get these credits ASAP (preferably within 3-4 days as I am a finalist for that position and I may lose list eligibility if they figure out I don't have those courses). What's the easiest way to push Saylor/Straighterline/whatever onto a transcript, any transcript?
(08-21-2019, 03:45 PM)tendrils Wrote: I'm a state employee and to get a promotion to the next class, I need exactly three college courses, Business Law, Elementary and Intermediate Accounting from an accredited institution. I already have a bachelor's degree. I was hoping to figure out how to get these credits ASAP (preferably within 3-4 days as I am a finalist for that position and I may lose list eligibility if they figure out I don't have those courses). What's the easiest way to push Saylor/Straighterline/whatever onto a transcript, any transcript?

From an accredited institution? Does that mean saylor, study.com, saylor won't count? Also in order to get it on a transcript you'd have to take a course at the institution to be enrolled.
(08-21-2019, 03:48 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 03:45 PM)tendrils Wrote: I'm a state employee and to get a promotion to the next class, I need exactly three college courses, Business Law, Elementary and Intermediate Accounting from an accredited institution. I already have a bachelor's degree. I was hoping to figure out how to get these credits ASAP (preferably within 3-4 days as I am a finalist for that position and I may lose list eligibility if they figure out I don't have those courses). What's the easiest way to push Saylor/Straighterline/whatever onto a transcript, any transcript?

From an accredited institution? Does that mean saylor, study.com, saylor won't count? Also in order to get it on a transcript you'd have to take a course at the institution to be enrolled.

I don't think saylor, etc. will count, though I'm trying to sell it to HR. 

Is there some way to take it at a college self-paced and cheap? I'm eligible for free tuition at my community college, but that would take the full 4 month term.
You can do self-paced college classes through independent study from BYU, Ohio U, University of Idaho, CSU-Pueblo, and LSU (possibly more, but those are the ones I know of). CSU Global's self-study assessments might also work for you, as could TECEP or UExcel
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
https://csuglobal.edu/undergraduate/alte...ssessments

https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/choose-your-exam/

https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php
(08-21-2019, 04:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: You can do self-paced college classes through independent study from BYU, Ohio U, University of Idaho, CSU-Pueblo, and LSU (possibly more, but those are the ones I know of). CSU Global's self-study assessments might also work for you, as could TECEP or UExcel

UExcel looks pretty cheap and easy - does it show up as an Excelsior University course on the transcript?
You can use credit banking at one of the Big3 to get alternative credit onto a college transcript.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/a...it-banking
https://www.tesu.edu/military/army/credit-banking
https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/files/do...iceApp.pdf
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The problem with credit banking in this situation is the time crunch. The original poster would need to complete a class or exam at the course provider, then open a credit bank/registry, possibly transfer credits to an ACE transcript and then transfer the ACE transcript to the college, wait for the credits to post and send a transcript.

I would think that the in house exams at Excelsior, TESU and CSU-Global would be the quickest ways.

I might also an alternative: Complete the courses at an ACE or NCCRS provider and describe the credits as complete, but pending. This course of action might save hundreds of dollars. Of course the CSU-Global exams would be about $750 total and that's not bad for a nice promotion.
Aren't TECEPs and uxcels cheaper than CSU global?

You said you qualify for free community college? Does your community college offer classes that aret full term. Most I've looked at do. My local CC even offers credit by exam. You have to talk to them but they will let you test out of a course at the CC and will give it a CR grade. Maybe see if they will do this for you. Other opt would be weekend seminar classes or 5 or 7 week courses if they offer them. Honestly CC might be your cheapest and least confusing option. Research your CC highly doubt they only offer full term courses.
(08-21-2019, 05:58 PM)eriehiker Wrote: The problem with credit banking in this situation is the time crunch.  The original poster would need to complete a class or exam at the course provider, then open a credit bank/registry, possibly transfer credits to an ACE transcript and then transfer the ACE transcript to the college, wait for the credits to post and send a transcript.

I don't think we know how fast it could be. Straighterline and Study.com both send their transcripts directly to TESU, so I think the transcript could be in TESU's hands within a day or two after you finish them. If you apply for the credit bank ASAP, get the transcript sent, then follow up with a call to advising explaining the situation, they might well expedite processing the transcript. Even if TESU doesn't expedite, the OP could truthfully tell HR that the courses are complete and they're just waiting for them to show up on their transcript. They could even show the SL or SDC transcript if they thought it would help.

They would have to be able to pass the right TECEPs or UEXCELs cold for them to be fast enough, and even then, if they have essay questions, grading can take time. I would do the credit banking approach, myself.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Igotthis78

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,551 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,562 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 701 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 755 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 510 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 268 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 413 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,471 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77