Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needing BSBA plan online proctored exams only
(08-06-2019, 10:14 AM)Sweetswinks Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 05:49 PM)natshar Wrote: Why don't you try WGU? You can transfer up to 90 credits from Saylor, study.com, straighterline, etc.

Then you take you final credits at WGU 100% online and at your own pace.

This is the cheapest BSBA of all the big 3 and the quickest too if you finish in one term.

You could even try to get tution remiembursment for it as well. And then if you leave the company and have to pay it back, it would only be around 3,200 which isn't too bad for school, compared to if you went somewhere else. TESU, COSC and EC would be more money and you wouldn't probably be able to even use tution remiembursment because you won't take courses from them. TESUs waiver fee is 2800 alone so I'm just saying financially WGU could be your best bet.

So WGU only allows up to 90 credits transferred from Saylor, Study.com and Straighterline? That means I would need to do about 18 credits through WGU so 6 classes in 6 months. 
looks like its $3225 for 6 months tuiton at WGU. I would need to look at TESU and COSC to compare.

If you had 4 courses transferred into WGU from SL (Straighterline) then you would be eligible for the WGU/SL scholarship which would take your $3225 per term down to $2725 per term (& you'd have 4 less courses to complete through WGU).  Note that with WGU all courses must be transferred in BEFORE Enrolling (not to be confused with prior to applying). 

Even with the one year rule at your work I would advise you to take the tuition reimbursement route, WGU makes it easy (they do it all the time) - and at least that way you'd have a chance at getting it paid for (a year goes by very fast). If you did find a great job elsewhere as a new college grad the new income likely would more than make up for having to pay it back (vs you having to pay it out of pocket for certain if you don't opt for the tuition reimbursement). I'd recommend you start a savings plan in case this happens; as if you were making payments to WGU, but to yourself - then you won't be caught short financially if that new job opportunity comes through elsewhere shortly after graduating.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-06-2019, 11:03 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 05:49 PM)natshar Wrote: Why don't you try WGU? You can transfer up to 90 credits from Saylor, study.com, straighterline, etc.

This is the cheapest BSBA of all the big 3 and the quickest too if you finish in one term.

You could even try to get tution remiembursment for it as well. And then if you leave the company and have to pay it back, it would only be around 3,200 which isn't too bad for school, compared to if you went somewhere else. TESU, COSC and EC would be more money and you wouldn't probably be able to even use tution remiembursment because you won't take courses from them. TESUs waiver fee is 2800 alone so I'm just saying financially WGU could be your best bet.

So WGU only allows up to 90 credits transferred from Saylor, Study.com and Straighterline? That means I would need to do about 18 credits through WGU so 6 classes in 6 months. 
looks like its $3225 for 6 months tuiton at WGU. I would need to look at TESU and COSC to compare.

You will have to do a minimum of 30 credits at WGU. Depending on what kind of time you can commit, many people have found that very doable.

Right now I am debating just doing TESU so that I can transfer 117 credits. If possible I will probably do Saylor for most of them.

(08-06-2019, 11:03 AM)allvia Wrote:

If you had 4 courses transferred into WGU from SL (Straighterline) then you would be eligible for the WGU/SL scholarship which would take your $3225 per term down to $2725 per term (& you'd have 4 less courses to complete through WGU).  Note that with WGU all courses must be transferred in BEFORE Enrolling (not to be confused with prior to applying). 

Even with the one year rule at your work I would advise you to take the tuition reimbursement route, WGU makes it easy (they do it all the time) - and at least that way you'd have a chance at getting it paid for (a year goes by very fast). If you did find a great job elsewhere as a new college grad the new income likely would more than make up for having to pay it back (vs you having to pay it out of pocket for certain if you don't opt for the tuition reimbursement). I'd recommend you start a savings plan in case this happens; as if you were making payments to WGU, but to yourself - then you won't be caught short financially if that new job opportunity comes through elsewhere shortly after graduating.

Just found out my company tuition reimbursement is you have to have a minimum grade of B or higher to get the money back after you've paid for it up front first then they refund you. I am 80% likely not to be here beyond March 2020 due to a job offer currently being negotiated. Also it won't be an issue just paying for this myself.
Just some things to keep in mind. Transfering 116 credits to COSC or TESU does not necessarily mean it will be quicker or faster than doing 90 and then going to WGU. In fact it would most likely be cheaper and quicker to do Wgu.

Wgu's courses are similar to straighterline and study.com in the fact that they are self paced and can you move through them quickly. They aren't like normal online college classes. Think of them as similar to straighterline, study.com etc but with WGU branding. If transfered in the max credits you'd have to do one Wgu courses about every 3 weeks to graduate in one term. 

The second thing is Saylor is cheap but it is frustrating and difficult. I suggest you try out a few Saylor courses to get an idea. You can browse the material for free and do everything but take the exam for credit. They have non credit courses you can take the exam for free. Once you've tried you will get and idea if it works for you. I've seen beginners come in saying they want to use all Saylor but I've never seen someone do it.

A lot of people on this fourm choose more expensive options than Saylor simply because it is less headache.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • TwinMom
(08-06-2019, 02:51 PM)natshar Wrote: Just some things to keep in mind. Transfering 116 credits to COSC or TESU does not necessarily mean it will be quicker or faster than doing 90 and then going to WGU. In fact it would most likely be cheaper and quicker to do Wgu.

Wgu's courses are similar to straighterline and study.com in the fact that they are self paced and can you move through them quickly. They aren't like normal online college classes. Think of them as similar to straighterline, study.com etc but with WGU branding. If transfered in the max credits you'd have to do one Wgu courses about every 3 weeks to graduate in one term. 

The second thing is Saylor is cheap but it is frustrating and difficult. I suggest you try out a few Saylor courses to get an idea. You can browse the material for free and do everything but take the exam for credit. They have non credit courses you can take the exam for free. Once you've tried you will get and idea if it works for you. I've seen beginners come in saying they want to use all Saylor but I've never seen someone do it.

A lot of people on this fourm choose more expensive options than Saylor simply because it is less headache.
Since you mentioned it, how are the classes?  Videos? Textbook format? Multiple choice exams?
TIA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(08-06-2019, 02:51 PM)natshar Wrote: Just some things to keep in mind. Transfering 116 credits to COSC or TESU does not necessarily mean it will be quicker or faster than doing 90 and then going to WGU. In fact it would most likely be cheaper and quicker to do Wgu.

That's great info thank you. I honestly thought WGU classes would be like Community College and drag out. I am a quick learner and test pretty easy so hopefully your advice would indicate I could move through a decent chunk of credits in 6 months. I might give Study.com, Straghterline, and Saylor a go to see how the classes are. 

But if what you say is right then WGU is the way to go for me.
(08-06-2019, 03:31 PM)Sweetswinks Wrote: I honestly thought WGU classes would be like Community College and drag out. I am a quick learner and test pretty easy so hopefully your advice would indicate I could move through a decent chunk of credits in 6 months. I might give Study.com, Straghterline, and Saylor a go to see how the classes are. 

I was able to finish 15 courses in 15 weeks at WGU (bear in mind I was VERY familiar with the material, so YMMV). It definitely won't drag out unless you let it.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(08-06-2019, 03:39 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 03:31 PM)Sweetswinks Wrote: I honestly thought WGU classes would be like Community College and drag out. I am a quick learner and test pretty easy so hopefully your advice would indicate I could move through a decent chunk of credits in 6 months. I might give Study.com, Straghterline, and Saylor a go to see how the classes are. 

I was able to finish 15 courses in 15 weeks at WGU (bear in mind I was VERY familiar with the material, so YMMV).  It definitely won't drag out unless you let it.

WOW!  Big Grin that's amazing. I'm checking it out now. I don't suppose you know of where to find a degree plan for WGU BSBA? I've been searching for the last hour but no luck so far.

I can't find a list of transferable credits. Saylor and Study.com are not listed here https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSMG.aspx
Heres Saylor: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...833&pid=99
1) I think people use WGU and graduate faster because they're kind of forced to do so. It's not a bad plan, especially if you can bring in a bunch of credits.

2) Very few people on this forum use Saylor, in spite of the fact that they're one of the cheapest options. We all know this, and yet, they are not popular - I'm going to guess that it's due to the setup - lots of complaints about broken links, lots of issues with their exams being wrong (my husband experienced this with an exam for a course that he could do in his sleep, and wouldn't waste $25 on another Saylor exam ever).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 249 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 369 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,286 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 290 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,648 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 724 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,712 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 394 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,167 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 418 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn