Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needs help deciding on degree (BACS vs BSIT vs BSBA)
You can get a PLA for pretty much any non-math class, but you have to actually go through the process of putting one together for each class. CLEP or other options we discuss on here are far cheaper/more efficient. The only real reason to do a PLA is if there isn't an alternative other than taking an actual TESU class.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • quigongene
(02-05-2019, 02:13 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: You can get a PLA for pretty much any non-math class, but you have to actually go through the process of putting one together for each class. CLEP or other options we discuss on here are far cheaper/more efficient. The only real reason to do a PLA is if there isn't an alternative other than taking an actual TESU class.

Thanks for clarifying Smile

(02-05-2019, 02:10 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 01:56 PM)Zataralos Wrote: Both of you seem to have strong feelings about WGU, can you tell me why? Based on what I read, TESU is/was more accepting of credit transfers (CLEP, etc.).  Also I read that with WGU you can only transfer credits one-time, after you enroll you can't transfer new ones. Is that still true?

For the most part, yes, once you start at WGU you can't transfer in other credits.  I personally went with WGU for speed and cost.  I have similar experience to you (25 years) and with some pre-planning, I was able to finish a WGU bachelors in 15 weeks.  Total cost was around $4000.

Impressive Smile, did you have credits already or were the 15 weeks start-to-finish? Do you mind sharing how you did it?
Keep in mind - If your employer offers tuition assistance or reimbursement WGU will work.  They also have many IT related degrees to chose from, currently 9 options at the bachelor IT level (https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees.html); it is competency-based - so the more familiar you are with the curriculum subjects the faster you should be able to move through it.  If you do look to transfer in some of the gen eds, I would suggest using Straighterline (SL); they are quick and cheap - and if you complete at least 4 with SL then WGU tuition reductions are available (making WGU even more affordable). 

If you get your bachelor in the subject/area that you know the most about right now (quickest - check that box), you can look to getting a master in what you have more interest in learning, or what will apply better to your future plans.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(02-05-2019, 02:19 PM)Zataralos Wrote: Impressive Smile, did you have credits already or were the 15 weeks start-to-finish? Do you mind sharing how you did it?

I came into the program with 67 of 122 CUs (there was a one year lull between starting my current job and tuition reimbursement kicking in). The 15 weeks was the completion of the other 55. The following spreadsheet explains what I brought into the program:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

All the CLEP exams were through Modern States, the DSST exams were out of pocket. The certifications were covered by my work.

You can get a great head start by checking out the transfer guidelines for the degree you're interested in:

https://partners.wgu.edu/transferguidelines
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

I'll add that if you do plan to get Gen Ed credits for WGU - they take credits from ACE (https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main), but not NCCRS (http://www.nationalccrs.org/).  Some providers offer courses that are both..  In example most (but not all) of Study.com courses are ACE (I think all SL credit courses are ACE) - but OnlineDegree.con are all NCCRS (and therefore a No for WGU, but a Yes for the Big3 such as TESU)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • quigongene
(02-05-2019, 01:04 PM)Zataralos Wrote: Hello everyone, first-time post. I’m extremely humbled and impressed with the information on this forum. After spending what accumulates to approximately 8 hours reading through posts and gathering information, I’m at the point where I need some specific recommendations.

A brief overview of my circumstances. Went directly from High School to a large Insurance company as part of the Y2K coding frenzy (remember those days?). Anyways, as a self-driven person, I’ve made quite a career for myself and 25 years later I’m a technology executive for a Fortune 50 company in Financial Services. Most assume I must have a MS degree let alone a BS. While I’ve always thought I’d go back to school and get one, life just kept moving at lightning speed.

Honestly for me, getting a degree at this point is a check-the-box goal, especially as future career opportunities arise. I’m looking for the fastest & cheapest way to a degree.

Based on what I’ve learned it looks like TESU may be the best option for me. Here’s where I’m stuck. There are 3 degree options I can choose from – BACS, BSIT & BSBA.

Which of them would make more sense based on my goals (fast/cheap)? I don’t think the name of the degree matters much for me as my experience and achievements are what has been fueling my career. As I mentioned, it’s a check-the-box requirement.

Can someone provide a recommendation with rationale and perhaps a plan for achieving it?

Another item that’s puzzling me is the PLA. Is this a work-experience assessment for credits? I keep seeing ‘Portfolio’ assessments at other institutions like WGU. Is that what TESU is offering? If so, how would that work as far as creating a plan since I wouldn’t know what I could get credits for unless I enrolled which goes counter to what I’ve read which is - collect as many credits before enrolling J

This is a big step for me as I’ve procrastinated for decades. Having a rising-Junior in High School is also pulling on my conscience, don’t want to be guilty of ‘do as I say and not as I do’ L.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

I have a similar story... I recently came back to earn a degree after 30+ years being a technology developer and executive. I have accumulated a bunch of business skills along with my technology background and I really enjoy the management side, so I ended up splitting the difference and going with a BSBA in Computer Information Systems. My course plan is basically split between CS and business courses. I plan to move on to a masters degree (MBA in IT Management or MS Management & Leadership) from WGU once my bachelor's degree has conferred. After that, I'm thinking about possibly working on an MS in Computer Science to balance things out a bit, perhaps from GA Tech if I can tolerate a traditional course schedule long enough to complete it. Like you, I don't need the degree for my career, but it opens the door to a masters degree and perhaps doctorate degree down the road, which will be more useful.

I'd suggest figuring out what you're most interested in and focus on getting your bachelor's in that. It's always fastest if you can work on stuff you're interested in or passionate about. Once you have an idea of what you want your degree in, it will be much easier to figure out a proper plan.

As others have mentioned, I also recommend WGU for technology-related degrees. I'd probably have gone down the BS in Software Development or BS CS had it been an option when I started (mostly since it seems like it would have been easy/fast for me), but having the business degree helps in other ways. If you're just looking for the fastest way to earn a degree, WGU is probably one of the best, particularly if you focus on a degree that covers a lot of material you already know. You'll also earn certifications along the way in addition to the degree itself. If you can get your work to pay the tuition, then its free credits too, which is hard to beat.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • quigongene
If you're going to do a business degree with an IT concentration at WGU, then you might as well do it at TESU. I recommend WGU for IT programs that are hard to test out of, but the BSBA in CIS at TESU is test-friendly. 

Whatever you're going to end up doing, you're always going to have competition. Your competition will likely have the same experience as you, but will have degrees from more traditional schools. TESU is not well-known, and the state university name makes it seem like a traditional school. With all the advertising, WGU is well-known as an online school. TESU's capstone course will give you a GPA. You won't have a GPA at WGU.

With your background and goals, I would aim a little higher than WGU for a master's degree. I assume you make good money, and you may even get tuition reimbursement. You can easily find an online master's program for less than $20k that will take 12 to 18 months to complete. My University of Florida program is about $16k or $17k, and I'm on track to finish in 12 months.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • davewill
(02-05-2019, 11:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: If you're going to do a business degree with an IT concentration at WGU, then you might as well do it at TESU. I recommend WGU for IT programs that are hard to test out of, but the BSBA in CIS at TESU is test-friendly. 

Whatever you're going to end up doing, you're always going to have competition. Your competition will likely have the same experience as you, but will have degrees from more traditional schools. TESU is not well-known, and the state university name makes it seem like a traditional school. With all the advertising, WGU is well-known as an online school. TESU's capstone course will give you a GPA. You won't have a GPA at WGU.

With your background and goals, I would aim a little higher than WGU for a master's degree. I assume you make good money, and you may even get tuition reimbursement. You can easily find an online master's program for less than $20k that will take 12 to 18 months to complete. My University of Florida program is about $16k or $17k, and I'm on track to finish in 12 months.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'd like to do, get the Bachelors quick, and then purse a MS from an institution with more brand cachet. At this point it's either the BSBA-CIS or the BACS from TESU. They both overlap about 90% on the classes and would come out to the same cost. I know the next question is subjective, but for those who've done one or the other, which is better? Smile
(02-06-2019, 12:33 AM)Zataralos Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 11:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: If you're going to do a business degree with an IT concentration at WGU, then you might as well do it at TESU. I recommend WGU for IT programs that are hard to test out of, but the BSBA in CIS at TESU is test-friendly. 

Thanks, that's exactly what I'd like to do, get the Bachelors quick, and then purse a MS from an institution with more brand cachet. At this point it's either the BSBA-CIS or the BACS from TESU. They both overlap about 90% on the classes and would come out to the same cost. I know the next question is subjective, but for those who've done one or the other, which is better? Smile

I did the BSBA in CIS. There's not really a lot of overlap because the BSBA requires a lot of business courses, and the BACS requires higher-level math courses. The BSBA in CIS is more test-friendly, but the BACS is much more technical. 

If you want to get a master's in CS, the BSBA in CIS will usually not meet the admissions requirement.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-06-2019, 12:33 AM)Zataralos Wrote: Thanks, that's exactly what I'd like to do, get the Bachelors quick, and then purse a MS from an institution with more brand cachet. At this point it's either the BSBA-CIS or the BACS from TESU. They both overlap about 90% on the classes and would come out to the same cost. I know the next question is subjective, but for those who've done one or the other, which is better? Smile

The WGU degree will be much less than TESU if you can do 1 term, and if you can't then somewhat less in 2 terms.  TESU is roughly $7500 now, and that price will be going up with the new cornerstone requirement coming in.  So $8300 ish.

WGU will be less than $5000 if you can do a term (that would include bringing in courses), and less than $7500 in 2 terms.

The BSBA is a BUSINESS degree, while the BACS is a COMPUTER SCIENCE degree.  Completely different animals.  With the CS degree, you're going to have to get through Calc I, discrete math, and some other things.  At this point, there is no inexpensive way (under $100) to get Data Structures, so add $1000 or so to your cost and time to take that somewhere like a CC.

I think WGU is your best option for an IT degree, and for any of my friends who are coming in with 0 credits, and want IT or business, I always tell them to go WGU.  I only tell people to use TESU if you have a lot of GE courses that you're going to lose going to WGU (and even then, I still lean towards WGU).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 281 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 237 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,756 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
Smile BACS: COS-2050 Python Programming VS COS-4510 AI,which course is easier? Felisa 5 413 01-21-2024, 01:59 PM
  BACS Plan Verification mrobel 4 350 01-18-2024, 12:49 PM
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 497 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM