Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative Reviews of Straighterline ?
I took 6 courses with them without any trouble. If I needed to take another course, they would be my first option.
There was that on lady who comes here every few month ranting about how horrible straighterline is...

She paid other people to take the exams for her and got caught, and that made her mad.

So I guess if you plan on cheating, you might not like SL. hilarious
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I had the same concerns about SL after reading reviews.. The people on here reassured me it was ok and a good way to earn credits they were right I am still in my first month with them and have already completed 3 courses.. I wish they had more I'd take all my business classes with them if I could.
I feel like my [2015] SL experience was soooooo long ago already now, Confusedeeya:, but from what I recall, I enjoyed the speed at which I could complete them and found the format helpful.

My SL credits cost more than they likely would now, because I paid over $100++ for several of the recommended ebooks, some of which have been offered more recently as bundles, but it was still a good option for me.

Overall, in retrospect, I believe that SL courses were a help to completing my BA in a much more timely manner than the pace I had been going before I began utilizing them as a learning/credit source Wink
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
In addition to legitimate use like the members of this forum I think SL also attracts folks that didn't do well in traditional clasrooms, kids being forced by their parents, and folks looking for short cuts. When they run headlong into real academic coursework they are suprised and maybe find it tougher than expected. I believe most of the SL naysayers are of this later persuasion. If your serious and complete some due diligence there should be no surprises and few troubles with Straighterline.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
SL is very good for speed, I couldn't believe how quickly I was able to get through 3 courses from SL. Now 2 of the 3 classes where all but new information so that helped out a lot. I was able to breeze through all of them however. For the Intro to Religion course you have two options if you take it. For me I did quick readings of the chapters and reread all the "bold" stuff then used the open book and took the tests/midterm/final. Ended with a 92%. you can take a slightly shorter route and just use the open book but as far a retaining any of the information would be slim.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Straighterline is built for speed although that depends on the course. You want SL courses with open book exams, final worth as little as possible (20-40%), and no more than six total exams. A few SL courses are actually slow, so avoid them. There is a reason why motivated folks can finish 4, 8, or more courses within one month. Combined with SL coupons, you can drive your per-course cost down pretty far. If you score high enough prior to the final exam, you can blow off the final and complete it in 10 minutes to get your ACE credit. I've never had any customer service issues. Always leave your monthly subscription in cancelled state so you don't accidentally pay another $99.

As long as you don't do something dumb like try to hire someone to take your exams, you will be fine with SL. I believe the serial complainer tried to hire someone and that person ratted her out. Snitches don't always get stitches.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I am hammering my studies to the tune of 10-14 hours PER DAY! 16 hrs yesterday to complete Intro to Crimi Justice. Quit my last job and have some time to finish this up on my terms. That stated SL is the most cost effective and efficient means to my goals of an AS and BS. Their service has been flawless the 2 times I have reached out. The only course I have taken and really disliked was Biology which they took care of for me in a credit towards something else. Download the books on your PC for faster searches.

Where else can you pass a course before the Final? Any advantage is many of their courses apply to TESU vs COSC. Also, responses to ACE for my credit bucket is generally 24hrs. Smile

That said, 2 glaring issues: Their website is SLOOOOOW! Crawls. Seems to be faster on Firefox. Aso, ProcturU is the sore spot with them. Often times they get the resources portion incorrect (no bathroom break, calculator, notes, etc...) And they are very inconsistent with their pre-exam checklist-all over the place. Also has taken over 10 MINUTES for someone to reply back to me after completing a course to get their OK to submit. But, at least it is live and I get results right away..
AAS WVNCC, completed 6/17. BS plan through TESU
Straighterline
Business Ethics 3 | Western Civilization 3 |Business Accounting 3 | Org Behavior 3| Intro to Nutrition 3 |Intro to Sociology 3 |US Hist I 3 |Intro to religion 3 |Anatomy & Physiology 3 |Intro to Communication 3| Macroeconomics 3| Microeconomics 3 |Business Law 3|English Comp 1| American History II 3 | Intro to Crim Just 3| American Gov 3|Accounting I 3|Business Principles 3| Business Stats|Cultural Anthropology|American History II| Account II|
Aleks College Algebra 3
TEEX CYBER102,201,301 6
JST 6
-------------------------------------------------------
84/120 Credits

In progress
English II |Financial Accounting|Intro to Envir Science
When I saw this thread I thought that the whack-a-doodle who got caught paying someone to take classes for them was back. I guess blogspot took down the crazy blog which referred to every executive at SL at some variant of "homosexual". Ah, the good ol' days.
Aurelius Wrote:When I saw this thread I thought that the whack-a-doodle who got caught paying someone to take classes for them was back.

I thought the same thing.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Offer for StraighterLine Course hsufeng 0 66 Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 530 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 183 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,226 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 341 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 341 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 724 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 440 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 646 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,186 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore