Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative Reviews of Straighterline ?
I would study the lesson material and take detailed notes. I would go to take the tests or quizzes and they would have questions that did not pertain to the lessons at all. Took one class with them. Will never take another.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

Now knowing that you only took one course I can see how this is less a review of Straighterline and more just your experience. If the one class you took was IT Fundamental, even though I am very positive on SL, that course was not my favorite by a long shot. I had already graduated and did the course due to a FREE Offer by SL. My joy was low during the course and it felt like I paid for pain at one point. banghead

It's obvious you have strong skills with online testing and I would wager with great confidence, that if you had taken more courses, you would have found a successful rhythm.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Zachcleigh Wrote:I would study the lesson material and take detailed notes. I would go to take the tests or quizzes and they would have questions that did not pertain to the lessons at all. Took one class with them. Will never take another.

Eh? Which course was that? I took a few courses, they all seem pretty spot on in terms of questions with the exams, midterm and finals. There was two I didn't like as much, the Survey of History and Fundamental IT as mentioned.
Different course formatting as they have multiple course providers/systems they use for the courses...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Business Law

Some of their other courses may be better. I wouldn't know though.. I never gave them a 2nd chance. bad experience.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

Zachcleigh Wrote:I would study the lesson material and take detailed notes. I would go to take the tests or quizzes and they would have questions that did not pertain to the lessons at all. Took one class with them. Will never take another.

This was my exact same issue. Now (for many courses) you get the textbook and all the quizzes/final exam material comes from there. A much better system. And not having to pay $50-100 for a textbook makes it much more affordable
Completed BSc in Business Administration (COSC) May 31st, 2017

(Study.com) Psychology 101 / Psychology 102 / US History 1 / Principles of Management / Western Civilization II / Environmental Science 101 / Psychology 103 / US History 2 / Geology 101 / Earth Science / Psychology 107 / Political Science 102 / Sociology 101 / Principles of Marketing / Financial Accounting / Managerial Accounting / Principles of Finance
(Saylor) Business Law and Ethics
(DSST) Vietnam War / World Religions / Business Ethics and Society / Technical Writing / Management Information Systems
(CLEP) Microeconomics / Macroeconomics / English Literature / American Literature / College Composition
(UExcel) Human Resource Management / Research Methods in Psychology / World Population / Labor Relations / Psychology of Adulthood & Aging / Social Psychology / BioEthics / Organizational Behavior
(COSC) Conerstone / Capstone
(Straighterline) Intro to Communications / Biology Lab / Business Statistics
Zachcleigh Wrote:Business Law

Some of their other courses may be better. I wouldn't know though.. I never gave them a 2nd chance. bad experience.

Oh yikes! Business Law was my least favorite course on SL, and with you taking that as your first course I totally understand why you hate it and are turned off of ever taking another.
I took 9 courses at straighterline and had a very good experience. I had zero issues with proctoring, never had any complaints where I needed to contact customer service, all the courses ran well and were well put together. I have no problem recommending them to anyone. Good price, reasonable course expectations (tests, papers) and open book tests.
You do need to have a plan before you sign up for straighterline. Get study times sorted out, get your working space in order, and then knuckle down and focus on learning the material. If you go in with a casual attitude it will take longer and cost more than it needs to.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
I agree that the quizzes and tests on Business Law were not congruent with the course itself. Every other course I felt was a good experience, though some of the insanely long accounting courses could have had less quizzes.
Aurelius Wrote:I agree that the quizzes and tests on Business Law were not congruent with the course itself. Every other course I felt was a good experience, though some of the insanely long accounting courses could have had less quizzes.

My son has taken 10 or so SL courses and Business Law was, by far, his least favorite. He's doing Statistics now which just links to Saylor material, so that may be his new least favorite. Micro and Macroeconomics had an obscene amount of tests, but those were his first two courses there so he didn't know that was unusual - he was very relieved when he moved on to other courses which had only 4 or 5 tests.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:My son has taken 10 or so SL courses and Business Law was, by far, his least favorite. He's doing Statistics now which just links to Saylor material, so that may be his new least favorite. Micro and Macroeconomics had an obscene amount of tests, but those were his first two courses there so he didn't know that was unusual - he was very relieved when he moved on to other courses which had only 4 or 5 tests.

As an aside, I took Business Law in college and it SUCKED! So I don't think it's limited to SL as this being a crappy course! Smile
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Offer for StraighterLine Course hsufeng 0 81 04-23-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 534 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 187 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,339 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 346 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 346 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 729 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 444 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 652 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,189 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore