Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions/recommendations for human services/substance use disorder courses?
Hi, folks.

This isn't for me, but for several friends who are working toward a BALS and would like to pick up a certification as an SUD counselor along the way.

So I'm trying to assemble a list of fast ways to earn the credits, or credit-by-exam, that are likely to meet the educational requirements for certification in CA.

There are a million community colleges (some of them topnotch) that offer online courses, but I'm aiming for is alternative forms of credit (SDC, Coopersmith, etc.) that would be faster than traditional online classes. 

There are a bunch of private unaccredited programs that the state certifying agencies accept where one can complete the requirements quickly, but that seems pointless (credits won't transfer) if the ultimate goal is for the BALS.

So... here are the education requirements California has for SUD counselors. I've identified some that might work, but would love to hear about other possibilities.
(If anyone's interested, the detailed requirements are here)

Ones I've found possible equivalents for:
Ethics for the Social Sciences (Sophia INtro Ethics, UExcel Ethics?)
Intro to Chem Dependency (Coopersmith Drugs, Society, Human Behavior)
Physiology and Pharmacology of Alcohol and other Drugs (Coopersmith Pathophysiology and Pharmacology or Straighterline Pharmacology)
Introduction to Interviewing and Counseling (DTTS Fundamentals of Counseling)
Group Counseling Techniques (Coopersmith)
General Psychology (CLEP, Sophia, SDC or UExcel)
Abnormal Psychology (SDC or Uexcel)
Intro Sociology (CLEP or SDC)

The ones I haven't found any equivalent for:
Psychology of Diversity
Case Management, Intervention, Treatment Planning
supervised work experience/practicum (obviously this is a class and not an exam. Probably have to be arranged at a community college)

If I'm able to come up with a coherent plan, I think it could be beneficial for a lot of people.

Thanks in advance!
UIdaho has "Record Keeping and Case Management in Chemical Addictions Counseling". Perhaps that would work?

Oregon State has "Advanced Diversity and Social Justice in Counselor Education". https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/soc/ecat...bject=COUN
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-04-2021, 03:20 PM)rachel83az Wrote: UIdaho has "Record Keeping and Case Management in Chemical Addictions Counseling". Perhaps that would work?

Oregon State has "Advanced Diversity and Social Justice in Counselor Education". https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/soc/ecat...bject=COUN

Ooh! The U Idaho looks like a great option. Only issue is it's going to be spendy (about $450 for a 3 credit course), but if only a couple of courses are needed from U Idaho, that could be workable.
CSU Pueblo has PSYCH 105: Understanding Human Diversity. https://www.csupueblo.edu/extended-studi...index.html
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
You may find a program or set of courses here
SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
I took a number of Coopersmith courses in 2020. If you're a good test-taker, you'd be hard pressed to find a faster, lower-cost source for UL Psych credits
If they haven't done so, your friends might want to check state regulations for substance abuse counselors. In mine, you have to go through a university for the practicum not a community college. In addition, my state will only allow those with a master's degree and approved clinical placement to take the licensure exam.
(06-10-2021, 11:57 AM)CatsDomino Wrote: If they haven't done so, your friends might want to check state regulations for substance abuse counselors.  In mine, you have to go through a university for the practicum not a community college.  In addition, my state will only allow those with a master's degree and approved clinical placement to take the licensure exam.

Yes, that is pretty common on the east coast.  In California, however, they do not even require an associates degree for certification as a addiction counselor; only about 10 college-level courses, and the practicum is usually done by the community college (or, if doing through a non-accredited proprietary school, through that school's program.)  It's pretty lax.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Suggestions - Lets Try Again pmsull 27 1,686 02-23-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: pmsull
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 429 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Big Grin New user seeking advice, suggestions, any input nancynancy01 3 374 01-08-2024, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Recommendations Needed for an online Artificial Intelligence certification or degree xspect 11 1,031 12-01-2023, 01:23 AM
  Searching for elective core finance online courses-BSBA in Finance @ TESU Ofeezee 39 3,437 11-21-2023, 06:03 AM
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,436 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Excelsior University UL courses hoffdeb 7 779 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 1,934 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Advice on remaining courses (BACS AND BSBA CIS) whitenight 9 580 07-20-2023, 01:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Human Resources bachelor degree StoicJ 3 440 05-19-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: StoicJ