Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New College Accreditation
Ok, so I had this fun idea of starting a new college similar to the Big 3, with no residency, accepting CLEPS and DANTES tests for the whole degree, FEMA straight from the source, etc.. but with less fees than EC and TESC. You know, all the goods but less of the bads haha.

While doing my research, I was looking at the DETC Accreditation Handbook and their requirements. One requirement is that the school seeking accreditation must have at least 2 years continuous operations.

My question is: why would anyone sign up at an unaccredited school?

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!!
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
I also wonder such a thing but people do... do you need a certain number of students? You might be able to get your friends and family to sign up with free tuition. Smile
Bachelor of Arts, 2008
87 Traditional Credits
27 Exam Credits
6 FEMA Credits

M.A., 2010  

*Now Homeschooling
On the DETC site, it says they want info on the first 100 students. But then I found out that DETC won't let students transfer more than 30 credits towards a Bachelors. So it looks like my school is going to be RA. haha

That free tuition deal is a good idea. Smile
Jesse
Hawkguy,
Are you just messing or you actually want to do this? How would you go about starting it?

As soon as I read you post it reminded me of the movie "Accecpted".
South Harmon Institute of Technology.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
No, I actually want to do this. All my friends and family support me. I've been doing my research about accreditation and whatnot. I live in AZ, so we fall under the Higher Learning Commission. I hear they're pretty easy to get accreditation from. Just look at U of P haha. State licensure isn't hard to get either. I looked into it and all it takes is money.

I've also been looking into having a Pharmacy program. I know tons of people who can't get into pharmacy school because there just aren't enough seats. I'd make a killing there alone haha.

Right now I'm still in the planning stages. Trying to figure out what I'd need as far as start up capital, building space, faculty, advertising, etc... My biggest hurdle is money. Without start up capital, nothing can happen. So if any of you guys have family who are venture capitalists.....

Like I said before, any ideas would be really appreciated.
Jesse
Well remember for profesional jobs, such as pharmacy school like you said there are a few problems. First is that you have to be qualified to do doctorate. A pharmacist is a doctorate degree. PharmD.

Then with professional degrees there is usualy another accredidation you have to meet in order for them to be allowed to sit in their boards.
Yeah, I looked into that too. I worked in a pharmacy a few years back, my brother is trying to get into pharmacy school, and I'm dating a pharmacist. We've all sat down and talked about the state licensure requirements, rotations, internships, and a ton of other stuff. Pharmacy has it's own accreditation to get, but if the program meets all the requirements, it's not an issue.

The pharmacy program would be a college of the university, Like University of Arizona's College of Pharmacy. It would be basically the moneymaking part of the deal. That way I could eat some losses with the CLEP part of it if I had to. I'm totally looking to take all the good of the big 3 without all the high tuition and graduation fees.
Jesse
However would a college realy be profitble? Sounds like a lot of capitol to invest. What about starting it as like a comunity college or trade school and going from there? Might be more economical. And trade schools giving AS can be very profitable.
Let's say tuition for Pharmacy school is 100K for the whole 3 year program. Let's also say that I have 100 seats available in the program. That's 10 million dollars. So 10 mil over 3 years is 3.33 million dollars a year. I know that most pharmacy schools charge more than 100k for the program and also have more than 100 students. So I'd be looking at about 3.5 million dollars income per year, if not closer to 4.

I really want to have a 4 yr program because most people want a Bachelors, not an Associates. And I think I could help more students like us with a 4 yr school. Besides, Phoenix has more than enough 2 yr programs for stuff like Dental Hygienist, Pharmacy Tech, Vet Tech, etc..
Jesse
HawkGuy -

That would be 3.5 million in revenue, not income. Then you have to pay for salaries, administration, building, etc.

Also, you say you want a 4 year program because people want Bachelor's degrees. With pharmacy school it is assumed people have already received their Bachelor's (or taken a pre-pharm program which is near a Bachelor's).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,312 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 690 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 917 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,496 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 529 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 892 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,808 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 714 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,097 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  College Tour Alpha 0 577 12-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha