Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do?
I would love some advice on how to proceed. Despite reading tons of threads on here, I feel like I'm still confused about how to proceed. I've attached my degree plan which shows what I have already have. The only thing it's missing from the list is, like, 6 fema credits I have because TESU doesn't accept them. 
Here's my situation:
- I was approved for a maximum pell grant (I believe $6195?). I would really love to keep costs down as I am a single mother that is currently unable to afford to work. However, I fear that if I set myself up with a plan that would take a long time to complete, I may never be done. I thought about just signing up for classes locally and just doing 4 classes at a time till I'm done so that I could utilize my financial aid. I just really don't think that's the best idea. I need to be able to work when my daughter starts kindergarten next year. I've been out of the workforce raising children for a very long time and will not be able to command a decent salary without a degree.

-I have 83 credits (mostly from traditional colleges, a couple cleps, a few free credits from Sophia, the Academies and FEMA). 

- I preferred TESC because I grew up in Jersey, it's well known in my area and I'd be able to go to commencement, etc.. All that gives it an extra level of legitimacy for me that I really appreciate.

- I prefer a psych degree, but honestly would just like to be done by next September. So, I'm flexible on degree.

- I love the concept of WGU, but don't love their degree offerings because I would probably need a lot more classes to graduate there. However, I think I could even use my financial aid at WGU? If so, that makes it a really attractive option.

So, what would you do? Are there any other options that I'm not considering that would be a good fit for me? Are there any other reputable schools with a model like WGU that accepts financial aid? If it makes a difference, I live in Maryland. 

Any help would be so greatly appreciated- I can't even tell you!! I'm so ready to put all my efforts into getting this done (finally!!) and bettering my family's situation, but I feel like I've just been going in circles. Thanks again for any help!

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESUBALSPsych.xlsx (Size: 9.36 KB / Downloads: 9)
Yes, you can use financial aid at WGU, but what kind of degree would you do there? I think that a lot of people regret starting a business degree if they don't like business much.

Consider the BS in Psych at COSC.

The BALS with Psych concentration is probably fastest for you, but not cheapest.

I know very little about financial aid, so I'm just going to throw out what I know about degrees, it may or may not fit with the financial aid.

IF continuing on at TESU:

1) The Residency Waiver fee is now $2800, Grad Fee is $298, App fee is $50, and tuition is $1137.
2) You need to format your subtotals/totals to be formulas, right now everything is a set number so it's showing incorrect info.
3) Sociological Imagination is on there twice - leave it in LL AOS, remove it from Diversity.

If it were me, I would skip the concentration and just get a BALS so that you're not limiting yourself - I don't think the psych concentration gives you any kind of an edge when job-hunting.

I would consider taking free CLEP exams for Am Govt, Sociology, and the Free Electives area, and then use your financial aid at TESU to take your courses.

If looking at other schools, I'd probably skip WGU since they don't have a good degree for you.

You might consider UMUC since you have plenty of credits to bring in, it's in-state, and they give a discount for OnlineDegree courses (supposedly 25% off for bringing in 1 course, but I would check on that by taking an OD course, and then applying and sending in all of your transcripts to see what happens).

Not sure if your state has agreements with other nearby states, if so you could check out Wilmington Univ (DE) or SUNY Empire.

Schools with Competency-based programs (no clue on aid):
APU/AMU Momentum (but it doesn't look good for a BALS, and you need an AA before they'll let you do it)
U of Wisconsin Flex (skip it, not applicable)
Brandman MyPath (not applicable)
Capella Flexpath - BS in Psych
Northern Arizona U Personalized Learning has BALS/BSLS plus tons more have been added

I think Capella & NAU will take ACE, but not certain.

I'm leaning towards NAU just because they have a lot of options. But I would apply, talk to someone there, and see what they say.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-27-2019, 09:53 AM)sharsharky Wrote: I would love some advice on how to proceed. Despite reading tons of threads on here, I feel like I'm still confused about how to proceed. I've attached my degree plan which shows what I have already have. The only thing it's missing from the list is, like, 6 fema credits I have because TESU doesn't accept them. 
Here's my situation:
- I was approved for a maximum pell grant (I believe $6195?). I would really love to keep costs down as I am a single mother that is currently unable to afford to work. However, I fear that if I set myself up with a plan that would take a long time to complete, I may never be done. I thought about just signing up for classes locally and just doing 4 classes at a time till I'm done so that I could utilize my financial aid. I just really don't think that's the best idea. I need to be able to work when my daughter starts kindergarten next year. I've been out of the workforce raising children for a very long time and will not be able to command a decent salary without a degree.

-I have 83 credits (mostly from traditional colleges, a couple cleps, a few free credits from Sophia, the Academies and FEMA). 

- I preferred TESC because I grew up in Jersey, it's well known in my area and I'd be able to go to commencement, etc.. All that gives it an extra level of legitimacy for me that I really appreciate.

- I prefer a psych degree, but honestly would just like to be done by next September. So, I'm flexible on degree.

- I love the concept of WGU, but don't love their degree offerings because I would probably need a lot more classes to graduate there. However, I think I could even use my financial aid at WGU? If so, that makes it a really attractive option.

So, what would you do? Are there any other options that I'm not considering that would be a good fit for me? Are there any other reputable schools with a model like WGU that accepts financial aid? If it makes a difference, I live in Maryland. 

Any help would be so greatly appreciated- I can't even tell you!! I'm so ready to put all my efforts into getting this done (finally!!) and bettering my family's situation, but I feel like I've just been going in circles. Thanks again for any help!

Dfrecore gave great advice, but I'll add what I would do (did do) when I was in your situation. And to flip things a bit, I'm a terrible degree planner, so I'll leave that part to her and just speak to the financial aid lol.

Financial aid can be a blessing or a curse- but no question, if you have a full Pell, you're feeling pressure to use it. So, let's run the numbers.

Let's call it $6200 to keep things even. That amount, in order to be used, requires you to take 6 credits per term. Even though TESU's calendar is a little wacky, the long and short of it is that if you don't take (at least) 6 credits, you won't get your full Pell.
That amount at most universities / colleges is going to be divided in 1/3. Each semester = 1/3 distribution. We'll use a typical calendar as an example:

FALL 1/3 of $6200 ($2066)
SPRING 1/3 of $6200 ($2066)
SUMMER 1/3 of $6200 ($2066)

For any / every college you consider, you have to find out the distribution break down. For instance, if it were in quarters the numbers would be 1/4 of $6200. But, the important thing here is that you see how they do it so you can do the math at EVERY school on your target list above. That takes a bit of leg work but is worth doing.

$2066 requires 6 credits, so divide by 6 = $344 per credit.

To make your Pell Grant pay, you should be price-shopping for credit that is $344 per or less. If you find credit that is less, then the overage is refunded to you in cash (not literally cash- but meaning there are no strings attached) and you can do what you want with it. If you buy credit that is MORE expensive than $344 per credit, you have to PAY (or borrow) to cover the costs.

So, now let's talk strategy.

Let's say that you are willing to take classes for 1 year. Let's also say that your local community college charges $75/credit for courses. (use your actual tuition they charge).

In that case, you would pick out 6 classes (2, 2, 2) to take that would count toward your degree. You would be billed at your community college like this:

FALL $75x6 = $450 - $2066 Pell = $1616 overage. (put that money away except for books and only if necessary)
SPRING $75x6 = $450 - $2066 Pell = $1616 overage. (put that money away except for books and only if necessary)
SUMMER $75x6 = $450 - $2066 Pell = $1616 overage. (put that money away except for books and only if necessary)

You now have $4800 give or take - it's sitting in your bank account. You've been taking CLEPs in your free time (which cost $0) and now have a nice little bit of money to use toward your bachelor's degree and you haven't taken any debt. Also, resourceful planning means you're already setting aside any fees and money for a capstone, but using this "education fund" to also pay for Study.com or whatever you need to get as MUCH AS POSSIBLE done for as low cost as possible.

----

OTOH, if you think that is too entirely long and crazy and you'd rather just get through it as fast as possible, you can take your Pell and borrow the rest and enroll at TESU or anywhere immediately.

If you try to use your Pell at any of the big 3, you're roughly looking at $500 per credit, so you'll have to borrow the difference. Using the same 18 credit scenario above, you'll have to BORROW at least $3,000 to get to use your Pell Grant, maybe closer to $5,000.

Taking on debt seems to undermine the entire premise of an affordable college degree imo.

EDIT TO ADD: TESU probably has transfer agreements with local community colleges which would make this entire mapping process much easier. In addition, if I can be bold, a bachelor's in psych isn't a direct line to a specific career. It's a great lead-in to grad school if you want to get into one of the helping professions, but there are associate's degrees that ARE direct lines to careers as well. With the amount of credit you already have, you're really in a good position to be picky.
[-] The following 2 users Like cookderosa's post:
  • suzycupcake, TwinMom
I guess I can't speak for all quarter-based schools, but in my experience it's actually 1/3 of the Pell money per quarter - if you take four quarters, you're paying for the summer out of pocket. Based on this, I assumed it was 1/2 at semester-based schools. In general, the assumption seems to be that most students won't be taking class (or at least, not full-time) during the summer quarter/semester

I will also add that (again, in my experience - and cookderosa has a lot more experience with this than I do), not every school is going to have the 6 credit minimum to get the full Pell Grant. At my community college, for instance, the minimum was 12.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Remember that TESU has flat rate tuition now. How many (easy) classes can you take at once to fulfill the residency (16 credits) and take advantage the Pell Grant?
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • sharsharky
(09-27-2019, 07:01 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I guess I can't speak for all quarter-based schools, but in my experience it's actually 1/3 of the Pell money per quarter - if you take four quarters, you're paying for the summer out of pocket. Based on this, I assumed it was 1/2 at semester-based schools. In general, the assumption seems to be that most students won't be taking class (or at least, not full-time) during the summer quarter/semester

I will also add that (again, in my experience - and cookderosa has a lot more experience with this than I do), not every school is going to have the 6 credit minimum to get the full Pell Grant. At my community college, for instance, the minimum was 12.

I haven't got even a second to check this, but I don't think they can require you take 12 credits - I promise to see if I can find the rules and a link. I don't like not being sure of the advice I gave, so let me reserve my earlier comments for now. Thanks myxonx3!
I don't know exactly how it's done at TESU (I assumed they split your annual award into four parts since they're year-round), but your money is split in half at schools with semesters. Financial aid is calculated with the assumption that you will be attending full-time or half-time during the fall and spring. You usually have to fill out a summer aid application in the spring to let the school know you're attending in the summer. The Obama administration changed the rules to allow students to use leftover aid in the summer. If you maxed out, then you have to depend on state and institutional sources of financial aid.

(09-27-2019, 07:01 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I guess I can't speak for all quarter-based schools, but in my experience it's actually 1/3 of the Pell money per quarter - if you take four quarters, you're paying for the summer out of pocket. Based on this, I assumed it was 1/2 at semester-based schools. In general, the assumption seems to be that most students won't be taking class (or at least, not full-time) during the summer quarter/semester

Federal regulations require six credits per semester (or 6 months for non-traditional calendars) to be considered half-time. 12 credits per semester or six months is considered full-time.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-28-2019, 03:49 PM)sanantone Wrote: Federal regulations require six credits per semester (or 6 months for non-traditional calendars) to be considered half-time. 12 credits per semester or six months is considered full-time.

This is what I'm getting at. If I understand correctly (which is no guarantee), don't you have to be full time to get the full Pell grant? Otherwise you get only partial?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-28-2019, 04:10 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 03:49 PM)sanantone Wrote: Federal regulations require six credits per semester (or 6 months for non-traditional calendars) to be considered half-time. 12 credits per semester or six months is considered full-time.

This is what I'm getting at. If I understand correctly (which is no guarantee), don't you have to be full time to get the full Pell grant? Otherwise you get only partial?

Yes. If you're only half-time, then you get half of the award.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P