Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Degree at WGU - Health Services Coordination
(09-16-2019, 11:00 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 10:40 AM)bluebooger Wrote: the job title of the very first one is Health Services Coordinator
and requires
Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field  

you couldn't be more relevant than a bachelors degree in Health Services Coordination

you even said "and a couple of them asked for a degree in a related field."

so yeah, a degree in Health Services Coordination would be a related field would it not ?  
unless you have a different definition of "related"

" So, I did a search on Indeed to see if there were job postings asking for specific majors. There were some that wanted public health, nursing, or health administration degrees; there were some that wanted psychology and social work degrees; and there were some more that required no degree. "

so what's your point ?  

I work in a hospital as a data analyst  
I have no degree  

does that mean WGU's Data Analyst degree is useless just because I can go to indeed and find some data analyst positions that ask for computer science degrees, statistics degrees, information technology degrees or even like my own positoon, no degree ?

LOL, just because you can find some Health Services Coordinator positions that don't specify "required: a bachelors in Health Services Coordination" doesn't mean the degree is useless

I'm sure there are more than 119 data analyst job openings in the entire country. Since health services coordination didn't exist as a major until WGU invented it, I'm sure it's not something HR even thinks about when writing up job descriptions. Yeah, it would be considered a related degree depending on the type of health services coordinator position, but people didn't need that degree to get the job. There are already people with public health and nursing degrees working those jobs. It's a new, niche degree program that might pigeonhole job applicants.

Homeland security degrees are similar. They've been around for a while now, and they still aren't marketable degrees.

When people ask if they should get a certain degree to land a certain job, I tell them to consider these two things. Will the degree make you more competitive, or can you get the job with a more marketable major? If it turns out you don't like the job or can't get hired for whatever reason, can you use the degree for something else?
Wow. I just signed up for WGU and wanted to major in this. But this thread just talked me out of it, I noticed the indeed thing to a few days ago, I have no background in healthcare and I figured this was the way to go, someone told me if I get the healthcare management degree I need at least 2-5 years of experience
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brooklyn96's post:
  • jsd
(09-16-2019, 09:44 PM)Brooklyn96 Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 10:40 AM)bluebooger Wrote: the job title of the very first one is Health Services Coordinator
and requires

you couldn't be more relevant than a bachelors degree in Health Services Coordination

so yeah, a degree in Health Services Coordination would be a related field would it not ?  

" So, I did a search on Indeed to see if there were job postings asking for specific majors. There were some that wanted public health, nursing, or health administration degrees; there were some that wanted psychology and social work degrees; and there were some more that required no degree. "

so what's your point ?  

I have no degree  

does that mean WGU's Data Analyst degree is useless just because I can go to indeed and find some data analyst positions that ask for computer science degrees, statistics degrees, information technology degrees or even like my own positoon, no degree ?

LOL, just because you can find some Health Services Coordinator positions that don't specify "required: a bachelors in Health Services Coordination" doesn't mean the degree is useless

I'm sure there are more than 119 data analyst job openings in the entire country. Since health services coordination didn't exist as a major until WGU invented it, I'm sure it's not something HR even thinks about when writing up job descriptions. Yeah, it would be considered a related degree depending on the type of health services coordinator position, but people didn't need that degree to get the job. There are already people with public health and nursing degrees working those jobs. It's a new, niche degree program that might pigeonhole job applicants.

Homeland security degrees are similar. They've been around for a while now, and they still aren't marketable degrees.

When people ask if they should get a certain degree to land a certain job, I tell them to consider these two things. Will the degree make you more competitive, or can you get the job with a more marketable major? If it turns out you don't like the job or can't get hired for whatever reason, can you use the degree for something else?
Wow. I just signed up for WGU and wanted to major in this. But this thread just talked me out of it, I noticed the indeed thing to a few days ago, I have no background in healthcare and I figured this was the way to go, someone told me if I get the healthcare management degree I need at least 2-5 years of experience

The health services coordination degree is also intended for people with healthcare experience. How much experience you need is not based on your major; it's based on the job you're pursuing. Whether you have a healthcare management or a health services coordinator degree, if you're going after the same types of jobs, then you're going to need the same amount of experience.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-16-2019, 09:44 PM)Brooklyn96 Wrote:
and requires

so what's your point ?  

I have no degree  

TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science Degree Help Ad Nauseam 0 23 4 hours ago
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 202 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU BS in Health Science Jonathan Whatley 3 229 04-06-2024, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  New BS in Public Health sanantone 5 296 03-27-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 967 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,250 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 529 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,236 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 424 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU BS in Health and Human Services Jonathan Whatley 5 869 11-11-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle