Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New EASY option for Excelsior Information Literacy
GMT Wrote:Yes!
How did you get hold of them? I don't have time to call them and they never replied to my emails

I tried to email and ask a question about their Microsoft Access course in July, and got this contact phone - Sari Rosenberg .tel 845 367 1281 They didn't want to tell anything in email, they wanted me to call them. I thought that this is a bit pushy, so I did the course in Penn Foster instead.
lavagirl Wrote:I tried to email and ask a question about their Microsoft Access course in July, and got this contact phone - Sari Rosenberg .tel 845 367 1281 They didn't want to tell anything in email, they wanted me to call them. I thought that this is a bit pushy, so I did the course in Penn Foster instead.

Having to call them would be annoying .... time zone; international cost; an accent that would confuse them ... infact, a whole "set up" that would confuse them Sad
Don't blame you for going somewhere else Lavagirl, and if these psychology courses are on a 8 or 12 week format, I won't be bothering with them either
However if they can be done quickly and painlessly, it would be interesting Smile

GMT Wrote:Yes!
Although I'm in a hurry and planning E-pack psychology courses into this year, it would be great to find doable cheap psychology credit too Smile
Being international and not near a CLEP center is hard sometimes lol .... ProctorU has been such a degree saver!

How did you get hold of them? I don't have time to call them and they never replied to my emails

Apparently Coopersmith Career Consulting and Torah College Credits are linked. Big Grin So I emailed TCC and so far their staff have been super helpful. Here's what I've found out...

1) The cost is listed here Costs - Torah College Credits. Basically, you pay a one year enrollment fee based on the number of credits you plan to take ($150 for 3-9 cr). Next, schedule the exam with ProctorU. Then on the exam day, pay the course fee ($195 for a 3-cr Gen Ed course) and the $25 proctor fee. Transcript will be sent to TESC with no charges.

2) To begin a course, create an account. Then login and download the study materials. Once you're ready, pay the enrollment fee and schedule the exam. (Inform them beforehand of the approx. date you plan to test.)

3) TESC won't provide the course equivalencies, but you could ask TCC to inquire with TESC on your behalf. Big Grin

The courses are pretty much study at your own pace. I went through the materials... they don't look overwhelming. From what I understand, the exam questions are drawn from a test bank. They're a mixture of MCQs, short answers, and essays. Just wondering how well the materials prepare one for the exam. Assessment is completely based on a final exam.
laughter Wrote:Apparently Coopersmith Career Consulting and Torah College Credits are linked. Big Grin So I emailed TCC and so far their staff have been super helpful. Here's what I've found out...

1) The cost is listed here Costs - Torah College Credits. Basically, you pay a one year enrollment fee based on the number of credits you plan to take ($150 for 3-9 cr). Next, schedule the exam with ProctorU. Then on the exam day, pay the course fee ($195 for a 3-cr Gen Ed course) and the $25 proctor fee. Transcript will be sent to TESC with no charges.

2) To begin a course, create an account. Then login and download the study materials. Once you're ready, pay the enrollment fee and schedule the exam. (Inform them beforehand of the approx. date you plan to test.)

3) TESC won't provide the course equivalencies, but you could ask TCC to inquire with TESC on your behalf. Big Grin

The courses are pretty much study at your own pace. I went through the materials... they don't look overwhelming. From what I understand, the exam questions are drawn from a test bank. They're a mixture of MCQs, short answers, and essays. Just wondering how well the materials prepare one for the exam. Assessment is completely based on a final exam.

To follow on from my PM to you
[COLOR="#2F4F4F"][COLOR="#0000CD"]"I used the "contact us" on Coopersmith and got no reply, twice.
I then contacted Torah College Credits and got an email from Rabbi Barry Munic
I then signed up by making an account, to find there were NO psychology courses on there, only a couple of computer courses, the Information Literacy one and lots of Torah courses.
I'm yet to get back to Rabbi Barry Munic and ask about the psychology courses.
However, I noticed it was all a bit more expensive than originally led to believe
And I was left feeling it may not be kosher"[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
Did you ask about the psychology courses??
I'm yet to do that, but couldn't see them when I actually signed up for an account ... like I said, I was left feeling it wasn't kosher

..... UPDATE:
I emailed Rabbi Barry Munic back, and since my initial enquiry there are now a couple of psychology courses available Smile
All Coopersmith psychology courses are available via Torah College Credits, you just have to ask for them to be added ... sounds very cool now

I shall be chasing this up with TESC equivalencies when I get a moment.
If there is a TESC acceptance guaranteed, and I've finished my outstanding Straighterline finals and the TECEPS I'm currently registered for, I will be jumping on one of these courses to try .... to save on the price of an E-pack .... or 2 .... or 3 .... and for the course/s not to feel like major surgery, would be wonderful!

GMT Wrote:..... UPDATE:
I emailed Rabbi Barry Munic back, and since my initial enquiry there are now a couple of psychology courses available Smile
All Coopersmith psychology courses are available via Torah College Credits, you just have to ask for them to be added ... sounds very cool now
Yup, the psych courses were added to my account recently. Wasn't sure if they were added to all accounts or if they were made available individually upon request. Seems like it is the latter.

Quote:I shall be chasing this up with TESC equivalencies when I get a moment.
Let me know if you get it! Smile

Quote:If there is a TESC acceptance guaranteed, and I've finished my outstanding Straighterline finals and the TECEPS I'm currently registered for, I will be jumping on one of these courses to try .... to save on the price of an E-pack .... or 2 .... or 3 .... and for the course/s not to feel like major surgery, would be wonderful!
Just wondering... which E-Packs are you planning to take? It's possible to complete nearly all psych area of study requirements with just UExcels and TECEPs.
laughter Wrote:Just wondering... which E-Packs are you planning to take? It's possible to complete nearly all psych area of study requirements with just UExcels and TECEPs.

I live too far from a Pearson test center that does UExcels Sad ... they don't all carry the UExcel software
A Pearson Vue support person got to look in depth at this for me, when I called to question

There is only Psychology of Women and Abnormal Psychology available in TECEP form which fit the psychology electives area, (along with Straighterline Organizational Behavior) the rest is to be E-pack unless I can find quick and painless alternatives Smile .... which I'm hoping a couple of the Coopersmith courses are

Even attempting to find a local librarian etc as a "hands on" proctor has proven to be a stumbling block .... my offer of cash was seen as a criminal bribe lol

So I'm stuck with ProctorU and staring at E-packs and thinking I'm pleased that option is available ... however, I'm hoping more Psych TECEPS are added before I get there, which is always possible

GMT Wrote:I live too far from a Pearson test center that does UExcels Sad ... they don't all carry the UExcel software
Okay, gotcha. That's strange though... I thought all Pearson test centers do. Did you try contacting Excelsior College to confirm this? How about the test center search here UExcel Examinations :: Pearson VUE

Quote:There is only Psychology of Women and Abnormal Psychology available in TECEP form which fit the psychology electives area, (along with Straighterline Organizational Behavior) the rest is to be E-pack unless I can find quick and painless alternatives Smile .... which I'm hoping a couple of the Coopersmith courses are
Not sure if these would turn out cheaper than the E-packs (they'd cost more than the Coopersmith courses for sure)...
There's a bunch of distance learning psychology courses from ASU which costs $600 each.
APU has a psych courses, too. A 3-cr course would cost about $800.

Quote:Even attempting to find a local librarian etc as a "hands on" proctor has proven to be a stumbling block .... my offer of cash was seen as a criminal bribe lol
Haha, I hear you. I've considered asking for a local proctor, too. But the amount of explanation and hierarchical hoola hoops that have to be passed... is enough to place this idea on the back burner for now. :p
laughter Wrote:Okay, gotcha. That's strange though... I thought all Pearson test centers do. Did you try contacting Excelsior College to confirm this? How about the test center search here UExcel Examinations :: Pearson VUE

Not sure if these would turn out cheaper than the E-packs (they'd cost more than the Coopersmith courses for sure)...
There's a bunch of distance learning psychology courses from ASU which costs $600 each.
APU has a psych courses, too. A 3-cr course would cost about $800.

The test center search is how I found that my closest test center was too far away; I then called Pearson support and "bent their ear" about it.
However, I didn't think to contact Excelsior and ask them if it's possible for a test center to request the software or if Excelsior could send it .... I'm going to follow this thought up, thank you Smile

I like the E-pack idea as it's a glorified TECEP I understand.
Study the materials at your own pace, and book your ProctorU exam slot
In theory, you could cram an E-pack at a much faster rate than an actual course
I'm hoping the Coopersmith courses might be similar to this set up as they're self paced, in which case, cost wise they'll knock the socks off an E-pack .... we shall see Smile

However, if Excelsior could send the software to my closest test center I'll be simply dizzy with happy Big Grin

GMT Wrote:The test center search is how I found that my closest test center was too far away; I then called Pearson support and "bent their ear" about it.
However, I didn't think to contact Excelsior and ask them if it's possible for a test center to request the software or if Excelsior could send it .... I'm going to follow this thought up, thank you Smile
Okay! Hope it'll be good news. Big Grin Cause when signing up for the UExcels, I notice that only Intro to Music is listed as available at selected Pearson test centers. I'm assuming that all other UExcels should be available at all Pearson centers then...
laughter Wrote:Okay! Hope it'll be good news. Big Grin Cause when signing up for the UExcels, I notice that only Intro to Music is listed as available at selected Pearson test centers. I'm assuming that all other UExcels should be available at all Pearson centers then...

I just did a search for an Excelsior test center using the name of my town of residence, not for individual exams ... maybe this would make a difference??
If it doesn't, I'm going to try the request to Excelsior Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 528 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 995 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,726 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,732 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,398 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,365 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,139 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,821 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,306 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,364 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az