Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020
"Excelsior College is looking for qualified teaching faculty for the college’s new Cornerstone initiative, beginning in January 2020."

https://jobs.excelsior.edu/job/remote-ad...e-courses/

I happened to come across this as I was perusing for remote adjunct instructor positions (I like to read about stuff that I can't do Tongue ).  What is a cornerstone course from an overall collegiate perspective?  I can't find much about it on google.  Is such an initiative realistically better for student learning/completion or school revenue?
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

Ew. Now all the Big 3 have cornerstones.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
They have to get in on the cash grab. Might as well just go to WGU and make yourself crazy with ten courses for one semester. If they have what you're looking for.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
Remember when TESU didn't even have a capstone? I don't mean just when you could test out of the BSBA capstone, but there was a time where the requirement just wasn't there.

Now not only do they all have capstones, but like sanantone said, this means they'll all have completely useless Cornerstones as well.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Awesome, just what we were looking for.  Not shocking.

I will say that if you're looking at schools, a LOT of them have capstones (although they may have different names).  But the cornerstone thing is also prevalent, I've seen it at CC's & private schools quite a bit, and it's not new.  Many CA CC's have had students take an online cornerstone (maybe called "orientation to college" or "intro to college") and the private online schools have "intro to online learning".  Very common, for like 20-25 years (based on the transcripts I see).  Started back in the early 90's at a lot of places.

It's too bad that EC jumped on the bandwagon, but again, not surprising.

BTW - this now puts EC back at the same price as TESU - meaning COSC will DEFINITELY be the better way to go for most people, especially for a BALS/BSLS, and certainly for an AA (EC requires a capstone for their AA's).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-07-2019, 08:58 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: ...  What is a cornerstone course from an overall collegiate perspective?  I can't find much about it on google.  Is such an initiative realistically better for student learning/completion or school revenue?

It's basically a course on how to study and find information online. It used to be called "Student success" or some such, and was often not even given college credit in the "old days". I'm sure it's helpful with a bunch of incoming freshmen who only have HS experience. I would think it's almost useless for transfer students who have already been taking and passing college courses.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
There isn't any more information about the cornerstone besides the job posting. We don't know it if will be required for all students and all degrees. Maybe students with a certain number of transfer credits are exempt. Maybe if students took a similar type course somewhere else they can transfer it in. We don't know yet. Plus it doesn't even start until January.
(06-07-2019, 01:17 PM)natshar Wrote: There isn't any more information about the cornerstone besides the job posting. We don't know it if will be required for all students and all degrees. Maybe students with a certain number of transfer credits are exempt. Maybe if students took a similar type course somewhere else they can transfer it in. We don't know yet. Plus it doesn't even start until January.

I'm going to guess that it's a worst-case scenario, because VERY rarely do colleges put this kind of thing into effect and then not apply it to everyone.  It's an easy money-grab, especially if who you're competing with does it as well.  You can't really say "well fine, then I'll just go to COSC or TESU and not have a cornerstone."
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This is 100% about money. These cornerstone and capstone courses serve no other purpose.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Marcus Aurelius's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-07-2019, 12:54 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 08:58 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: ...  What is a cornerstone course from an overall collegiate perspective?  I can't find much about it on google.  Is such an initiative realistically better for student learning/completion or school revenue?

It's basically a course on how to study and find information online. It used to be called "Student success" or some such, and was often not even given college credit in the "old days". I'm sure it's helpful with a bunch of incoming freshmen who only have HS experience. I would think it's almost useless for transfer students who have already been taking and passing college courses.

EC already has Information Literacy as a required course. It highlights how to write a paper basically.   Is the Cornerstone different than that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,646 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,311 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az