Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New FlexPath Doctorates from Capella
(05-04-2021, 09:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 08:44 AM)Sdmj33 Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 09:47 PM)Thorne Wrote: This. I'd consider a Capella Doctorate if only to say "I've got a doctorate!" though this price isn't too amazing considering UCN or UCAM as other options. I'm also checking into one that's as cheap as UCN from a better school, if it pans out.
Could u give me the name of that school please?

UCN = Universidad Central de Nicaragua
UCAM = Catholic University of Murcia (Universidad Católica San Antonio de Murcia)

If you happen to be in a position where you need to have a doctorate evaluated, be aware that WES is not evaluating UCN degrees. I think UCAM is the same. I am not sure about other evaluation services. However, even if SpanTran, ECE, etc. do evaluate their degrees, some companies/institutions might only accept WES evaluations.

If you're only wanting a doctorate for your own edification, you clearly don't need to concern yourself with evaluations.
Thx but i was asking abt the school he was looking into thats as cheap as UCN. 

On the topic of evaluation, i know WES doesnt evaluate UCN degrees but CES at UoT does. But thats a canadian evaluation agency and not a US one. 

I need a cheap and fast doctorate for immigration so a positive evaluation is what makes or breaks it for me.
(05-04-2021, 08:17 AM)ArielB74 Wrote: No dissertation?  I can't see how this would be taken seriously.

I am not sticking up for Capella but there are quite a few places now that are offering non dissertation doctorates. There are a few professional doctorates at Liberty University for example, where a student completes a project and/or capstone in lieu of a full dissertation.

For the program I attended at Capella, while it was an Ed.D at the time, the program required a dissertation, it was an applied dissertation but still a dissertation. Currently my program has evolved to a new one that does not require an applied dissertation but a capstone instead.

I think PhD degrees may become the last degree where a traditional dissertation is stil required, at least for doctoral programs in America.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 2 users Like sacredrain's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, ss20ts
(05-04-2021, 10:39 AM)Sdmj33 Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 09:47 PM)Thorne Wrote: This. I'd consider a Capella Doctorate if only to say "I've got a doctorate!" though this price isn't too amazing considering UCN or UCAM as other options. I'm also checking into one that's as cheap as UCN from a better school, if it pans out.

UCAM = Catholic University of Murcia (Universidad Católica San Antonio de Murcia)

If you happen to be in a position where you need to have a doctorate evaluated, be aware that WES is not evaluating UCN degrees. I think UCAM is the same. I am not sure about other evaluation services. However, even if SpanTran, ECE, etc. do evaluate their degrees, some companies/institutions might only accept WES evaluations.

If you're only wanting a doctorate for your own edification, you clearly don't need to concern yourself with evaluations.

On the topic of evaluation, i know WES doesnt evaluate UCN degrees but CES at UoT does. But thats a canadian evaluation agency and not a US one. 

I need a cheap and fast doctorate for immigration so a positive evaluation is what makes or breaks it for me.

Once I know the program is legit, I'll let you know. I've spent a long enough time looking for needles in haystacks to know not to waste everyone's time with an opportunity that turns out to be just another piece of hay.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thorne's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(05-04-2021, 04:34 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 10:39 AM)Sdmj33 Wrote:

Once I know the program is legit, I'll let you know. I've spent a long enough time looking for needles in haystacks to know not to waste everyone's time with an opportunity that turns out to be just another piece of hay.
Thank u so much but if u need an extra set of hands let me know cuz i dont mind doing the research. Regardless of it being legit, itd still help a lot of ppl. If it is then everyone knows its a good option and if its not theyd know why.
(05-04-2021, 08:17 AM)ArielB74 Wrote: No dissertation?  I can't see how this would be taken seriously.

Not all Doctorates have them. For instance, Eastern Virginia Medical School's Doctor of Health Science degree doesn't have one. Virginia University of Lynchburg's Doctor of Health Administration doesn't have one either. There are others. Certainly when applying to jobs in the academic or research sectors it's going to be scrutinized pretty hard. Outside of that, no one is going to care.
[-] The following 2 users Like eLearner's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, ss20ts
(05-05-2021, 11:13 AM)eLearner Wrote:

Not all Doctorates have them. For instance, Eastern Virginia Medical School's Doctor of Health Science degree doesn't have one. Virginia University of Lynchburg's Doctor of Health Administration doesn't have one either. There are others. Certainly when applying to jobs in the academic or research sectors it's going to be scrutinized pretty hard. Outside of that, no one is going to care.

I currently work for a large state supported university and we have a few in the IT and Engineering school with doctorates that had applied dissertations or no dissertations at all. I think that with some universities, their main role is to fill available professorships and to ensure that students do not have to wait for courses each semester. Of course it does differ from university to university and department. For example I could never see our English or Science department accepting a full time professor without a traditional dissertation.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
(05-05-2021, 12:10 PM)sacredrain Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 11:13 AM)eLearner Wrote:

I currently work for a large state supported university and we have a few in the IT and Engineering school with doctorates that had applied dissertations or no dissertations at all. I think that with some universities, their main role is to fill available professorships and to ensure that students do not have to wait for courses each semester. Of course it does differ from university to university and department. For example I could never see our English or Science department accepting a full time professor without a traditional dissertation.
A lot of undergrad professors I've noticed just have Masters, so a doctorate is just icing on the cake.

There are numerous doctorates today that don't require a dissertation. Instead, you complete a variety of research projects throughout the program. These are also DBAs not PhDs. Big difference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
This is super intriguing and I may actually jump into this!
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(05-06-2021, 03:55 AM)collegecareerstudent Wrote: This is super intriguing and I may actually jump into this!

Yeah, because you don't already have enough going on, so why not get a doctoral degree?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 302 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Least Expensive Doctorates in Psychology, Counseling, or Other Mental Health fields eLearner 12 1,093 01-21-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Jagiellonian Doctorates Habitus 1 531 11-25-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Capella FlexPath Doctor of Human Services (DHS) Jonathan Whatley 4 779 07-31-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inexpensive Doctorates - Search your desired country bjcheung77 12 4,205 11-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capella Lawsuit Alpha 3 984 05-03-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Competency-Based Leadership Doctorates and MA at Andrews University sanantone 2 1,695 09-19-2021, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Doctorates that aren't ridiculously writing heavy ashkir 14 2,960 08-27-2021, 04:27 AM
Last Post: ternerdaniel
  Evangelia Uni & Virginia University of Lynchburg - TRACS Doctorates bjcheung77 2 2,751 08-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Capella Doctoral Programs? Johmford 13 3,914 05-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: sanantone