Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New FlexPath Doctorates from Capella
(06-11-2021, 01:13 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Was that for a flexpath program or a regular program?

Does it matter? They have had several lawsuits over their doctorate programs. You can google it and you'll see a lot of problems.
I noticed they are now capping tuition costs. Pay no more than $45,000 for a doctorate, period. I guarantee this is in the response to the lawsuits.

For those wanting to know more:

Is Capella a bad school academically?
No. They're a great school when it comes to their academics and accrediation.

Can Doctorates from Capella lead to Teaching Jobs?
Yes. The head of San Jose's MARA program (Masters in Archives and Records Administration) is a Capella PhD graduate, and this is the top MARA program in the world.

What's with the hate for Capella?
Capella used to drag doctorate students along for MANY years to get them to pay HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS in tuition costs. Most students had to take out insane loans that they'd never be able to reasonably pay off. Almost every single complaint against Capella is against them for tuition.

What did Capella do in response to the lawsuits?
Capella settled most lawsuits out of court. What they gave? We don't know. To protect itself from further lawsuits they now cap tuition.

What is a tuition cap?
With Capella tuition cap, you won’t pay more than $45,000 in tuition costs for your degree. https://www.capella.edu/tuition-financia...ition-cap/
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Bachelorsat25, jch
They have a VERY bad rep and have for years. U of P and Capella are highly looked down upon much like ITT and Devry.

The cap is only from July 2021 through October 2021 according to the link you provided.

Student criteria: Must be a new student (or former student reapplying to the university) accepted into and enrolled in an eligible program in the GuidedPath or FlexPath learning format at Capella University with student’s start occurring in July through October, 2021.

Fees are also not capped. Only tuition is capped.

The Capella Tuition Cap can be applied only to an eligible doctoral program in the GuidedPath or FlexPath learning format and only for students who began the program on an eligible start date. The tuition cap will only apply to tuition and, upon reaching the tuition cap threshold for the eligible program, the tuition cap will be applied to your Capella account during the third week of the quarter that the cap is reached.

You're also not eligible for any other scholarships and some employer tuition programs aren't eligible either.

Recipients of the Capella Tuition Cap are not eligible for Capella grants, scholarships, or discounts, except for percentage-based scholarships with a discount of 15% or less, or unless otherwise noted in the eligibility requirements of the additional applicable scholarship. Students receiving a TAAP (Tuition Assistance Aligned Pricing) through a partnership between Capella and the students’ employer are not eligible for this award.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir, sanantone
Agree with ss20ts... Earned or not, their reputation is rough, and it goes beyond just tuition complaints.

Depending on what you'd need a degree from their for, it might not matter. They're not a degree mill or anything, they're RA, and of course you'll find their graduates all over the place from academia to private to public sectors. But there are some situations where the reputation may hurt you, rightfully or not.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • ashkir, sanantone
(07-08-2021, 11:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They have a VERY bad rep and have for years. U of P and Capella are highly looked down upon much like ITT and Devry.

The cap is only from July 2021 through October 2021 according to the link you provided.

Student criteria: Must be a new student (or former student reapplying to the university) accepted into and enrolled in an eligible program in the GuidedPath or FlexPath learning format at Capella University with student’s start occurring in July through October, 2021.

Fees are also not capped. Only tuition is capped.

The Capella Tuition Cap can be applied only to an eligible doctoral program in the GuidedPath or FlexPath learning format and only for students who began the program on an eligible start date. The tuition cap will only apply to tuition and, upon reaching the tuition cap threshold for the eligible program, the tuition cap will be applied to your Capella account during the third week of the quarter that the cap is reached.

You're also not eligible for any other scholarships and some employer tuition programs aren't eligible either.

Recipients of the Capella Tuition Cap are not eligible for Capella grants, scholarships, or discounts, except for percentage-based scholarships with a discount of 15% or less, or unless otherwise noted in the eligibility requirements of the additional applicable scholarship. Students receiving a TAAP (Tuition Assistance Aligned Pricing) through a partnership between Capella and the students’ employer are not eligible for this award.

Yeah. I agree they hurt their reputation pretty freaken badly. They seem to bein trying to repair it, like University of Phoenix is. But, it's too late for most people to repair their reputation. 

Their website for their tuition cap is weird, and very contradictory. You can use grants, financial aid, etc, to it that yo uachieve on your own, but, not their personal grants. There's nothing stopping you from getting a grant to be an EdD for example from California. 

I'm HOPING they are successful with this method, because that means OTHERS will need to compete and offer stuff too!
What's the name of the head of SJSU's MARA program? The coordinator has a PhD from University of British Columbia.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-09-2021, 09:51 AM)sanantone Wrote: What's the name of the head of SJSU's MARA program? The coordinator has a PhD from University of British Columbia.

I wondered that too so I guessed it was a previous coordinator and just changed recently (maybe July is a change over date...)

I did a very quick search on their site. found this. hope it answers your question.

Dr. Pat Franks.  https://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/facultypage...ac=franksp

that faculty member is listed as Professor Emerita but it also does not show an ending date on Program Coordinator:  still listed as Program Coordinator for the Master's Degree in Archives and Records Administration, San José State University (2008-)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(07-09-2021, 11:16 AM)P226mem Wrote:
(07-09-2021, 09:51 AM)sanantone Wrote: What's the name of the head of SJSU's MARA program? The coordinator has a PhD from University of British Columbia.

I wondered that too so I guessed it was a previous coordinator and just changed recently (maybe July is a change over date...)

I did a very quick search on their site. found this. hope it answers your question.

Dr. Pat Franks.  https://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/facultypage...ac=franksp

that faculty member is listed as Professor Emerita but it also does not show an ending date on Program Coordinator:  still listed as Program Coordinator for the Master's Degree in Archives and Records Administration, San José State University (2008-)
Thanks. It looks like she landed the position before there was a glut of online PhDs and Walden and Capella earned their horrible reputations. But, I have come across several professors with PhDs from Capella teaching in non-traditional programs at public and non-profit colleges. It is possible to land a teaching job with a Capella degree, but it wouldn't be my first choice. 

Capella's tuition issue stems from another problem - prolonging students' time in the program. That, in and of itself, is harmful to students. Many accounts state that students had to practically start over whenever their chair changed. There's high turnover at Capella and Walden. At universities with tenure, faculty members usually stick around for 10+ years, and you'll know when they're going to retire.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yep! Dr. Patricia Franks! I have met her a few times, absolutely fantastic. She wrote the book that schools use to teach archives for businesses. Her book is the body of knowledge for the entire records manager exams and certifications.
I am not sticking up for the university, but I earned my doctorate from Capella and have had no issues landing positions, including adjunct ones, a full time associate professorship, and my current position as a VP at a large state supported university. Several of my colleagues also have doctorates from Capella or Walden, or a few from University of Phoenix. One who has a PhD in Business from Capella became dean of the business school at a private liberal arts university, while one who has a Doctorate in IT from Walden is now a regional CIO for a very large bank in the northeast. Rep is one thing, how you market yourself and your credentials is another.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 3 users Like sacredrain's post:
  • Bachelorsat25, eLearner, Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 300 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Least Expensive Doctorates in Psychology, Counseling, or Other Mental Health fields eLearner 12 1,059 01-21-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Jagiellonian Doctorates Habitus 1 531 11-25-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Capella FlexPath Doctor of Human Services (DHS) Jonathan Whatley 4 777 07-31-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inexpensive Doctorates - Search your desired country bjcheung77 12 4,201 11-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capella Lawsuit Alpha 3 982 05-03-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Competency-Based Leadership Doctorates and MA at Andrews University sanantone 2 1,694 09-19-2021, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Doctorates that aren't ridiculously writing heavy ashkir 14 2,958 08-27-2021, 04:27 AM
Last Post: ternerdaniel
  Evangelia Uni & Virginia University of Lynchburg - TRACS Doctorates bjcheung77 2 2,750 08-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Capella Doctoral Programs? Johmford 13 3,909 05-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: sanantone