Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New GI Bill
This may be something for the Off-Topic board, but it's important enough that I wanted everyone to see it. Word is starting to trickle out about the new GI Bill that will go into affect on August 1st, 2009. In a word, it rocks. Instead of a set amount, the Bill will cover up to the tuition of the "most" expensive public school in the state. (In other words, as long as your school's tuition is less than the most expensive public school tuition in the state, you're fully covered) In addition, you get book allowances, and a housing allowance at the E5 level.

For those who have served after September 10th 2001, you may be entitled to the new GI Bill. It's based on months served after that date, and is broken down by percentages. For example, I seperated in March of 2004, so I fall under the 30 months of active service = 90% section. They've increased the time to use it to 15 years, from the date of your seperation.

So with all of that good news, the bad news is relatively tame. Using your current GI Bill counts towards the new GI Bill. It's done by months from the looks of it, so for every month you use of the current GI Bill, you lose a month on the new one when it goes into affect. Just something to keep in mind if you're planning on saving some of your GI Bill for graduate school. I paid for my undergraduate out of pocket, due mainly to my intention of using the GI bill (Or Voc Rehab) to help out with the graduate degree. With the new GI Bill, quite a few schools that were out of my reach without selling organs, are now quite possible.

At the link below, you can find a Fact-Sheet that answers some of the more common questions, and explains it in more detail. If you know of anyone that may use this, then please, pass it on. It's not getting alot of play on our base, and it has the potential of helping out quite a few servicemembers.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/S22/Post_911_Factsheet.pdf

Hope everyone's been doing well,
Justin
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Chebasaz Wrote:This may be something for the Off-Topic board, but it's important enough that I wanted everyone to see it. Word is starting to trickle out about the new GI Bill that will go into affect on August 1st, 2009. In a word, it rocks. Instead of a set amount, the Bill will cover up to the tuition of the "most" expensive public school in the state. (In other words, as long as your school's tuition is less than the most expensive public school tuition in the state, you're fully covered) In addition, you get book allowances, and a housing allowance at the E5 level.

For those who have served after September 10th 2001, you may be entitled to the new GI Bill. It's based on months served after that date, and is broken down by percentages. For example, I seperated in March of 2004, so I fall under the 30 months of active service = 90% section. They've increased the time to use it to 15 years, from the date of your seperation.

So with all of that good news, the bad news is relatively tame. Using your current GI Bill counts towards the new GI Bill. It's done by months from the looks of it, so for every month you use of the current GI Bill, you lose a month on the new one when it goes into affect. Just something to keep in mind if you're planning on saving some of your GI Bill for graduate school. I paid for my undergraduate out of pocket, due mainly to my intention of using the GI bill (Or Voc Rehab) to help out with the graduate degree. With the new GI Bill, quite a few schools that were out of my reach without selling organs, are now quite possible.

At the link below, you can find a Fact-Sheet that answers some of the more common questions, and explains it in more detail. If you know of anyone that may use this, then please, pass it on. It's not getting alot of play on our base, and it has the potential of helping out quite a few servicemembers.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/S22/Post_911_Factsheet.pdf

Hope everyone's been doing well,
Justin

If you already used up your active duty gi bill (ch30), would you still be allowed to use this new chapter 33
Currently enrolled at TESC:
A.A.S in Respiratory Care (need english to finish)
MOS 91V US ARMY
A.A.S in computer studies (need english to finish)
MOS 25B US ARMY
6 more S.H. to finish both degrees hilarious

passed CLEP:
spanish 65
information systems and computer app 50
Intro to Psych 57

passed dsst:
intro to computers 53
heres to your health 55
substance abuse 400
management information systems 50
Intro to world religions 457
civlil war & reconstruction 57
Technical writing 53
criminal justice 455

Passed excelsior:
health differences across the lifespan 1 "C"
essentials of nursing: health differences "B"
Pathophysiology "B"
Nursing Fundamentals "C"

failed:
intro to sociology
A&I lit
Freshman comp
Natural Science
I got out the Navy in Dec. 2001. Does this make me eligible to use my GI BILL 15 years from the date of my seperation?
On my way out the door, but if you go to that link, it'll answer the first question. Second question is addressed on the VA's site. Google "Post 9/11 GI Bill" and you'll see their knowledgebase.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
jonsosa Wrote:If you already used up your active duty gi bill (ch30), would you still be allowed to use this new chapter 33
sorry, all you get is 36 months of school from the GI Bill old or new.
I am a little upset about that myself. I cannot complain too much but I think they should at least cover 48 months seeing as where most b&m college kids at on average 5 years to complete a 4 year degree, vets only get 3 years to do it after being removed from an academic setting for at least 2 years but closer to 4 or five if not longer. Sounds like the VA is operating in a vacuum again. I am impressed in their new processing times, it went down from 10 weeks to 4 days. and I was only on hold yesterday for 3 minuets. Last year I would be on hold for an hour an half and then they would hang up on me.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
This idea is great. It really drives me (and others aboard my ship) to get out of the Navy and actually persue a degree. I'm almost done with mine but it is still good to know that I will be collecting BAH along with tuition and books money. Man, I would be making the same amount, if not more, if I get out. No, I'm not an E-2 with <1 yr but an E-5 over 5 years getting out next year. Can't wait to use it.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
The New GI Bill is having somewhat of the same effect that larry7crys was talking about in the Air Force(or at least with the Airmen I speak too). Without a doubt it will increase the number of recruits, but it will also a lot of others to get out. My peer group(E4-E5 with few years in service) has a lot of people leaving to go to school fulltime.
A.A.S Aviation Operations (Community College of the Air Force) April 2008
B.A. in History (Thomas Edison State College) March 2009

"To achieve the possible we must attempt the impossible, to be as much as we can be then we must dream of being more."
I imagine that the new GI Bill will cause more members to elect to leave after their first enlistment. I have mixed feelings about this myself. On the one hand, it is going to be bad for retention and retention is everything in an all volunteer military. On the other hand, its something that we frankly deserve and I cannot begrudge someone for leaving the military because they have a better opportunity. I'm for the new GI Bill, I just wish it also benefited those of us who elect to stay in more than it currently does. I can't complain to much though. I'm planning on retirement with a PhD to boot. No student loans either.

So it is what it is...
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
No doubt about it you cant complain about the GI Bill...

I think it will cause quite a few to get out, but going to school is harder than it seems unless you can move back in with mom when you leave. Unless of course you plan to work full time then spend your nights and sleep time at school.(insert the sleepy smiley)

I remember in my outbrief class they said: "So how many of you plan to go to school?" About 80-90% raised there hand.

The guy then said: "Its a known fact that less than (%) do not go on to schoolwhen they leave.... they find jobs. ( i cant remember the exact percentage so I dont want to quote)...
I will agree with what was stated earlier. Alot of people get out of the service and don't have a plan, so they just say "I am goin to school". It is a harder than most people think but if research is put into it then it isn't nearly as hard. Plus, a person always has to have a back up plan. Yes, the GI Bill should be show much better to use if a person was still in service. I was think about writing a congressman/woman about benefits like 48 months while in service, or at least giving the "overage" back when done.
A.A.S Aviation Operations (Community College of the Air Force) April 2008
B.A. in History (Thomas Edison State College) March 2009

"To achieve the possible we must attempt the impossible, to be as much as we can be then we must dream of being more."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,326 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,975 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,319 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,851 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  GI Bill Dilemma Leherself 9 3,041 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,209 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,619 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  A word of caution if using Post 9/11 GI Bill Prloko 9 2,624 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  GI Bill or VRAP Transfers? SweetSecret 1 1,072 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: lawqueen04
  Gi bill certificate of eligibility superpotsky 2 1,019 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dposborne