Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New, Help with plan for testing out of B.S. at COSC. Is it possible??
Hi guys, I’m new to the board but I am looking for a degree plan for testing out of B.S in Psych degree at COSC using CLEP, DSST, etc. I’ve been working on a plan of my own. I’ve looked through the threads here looking for a plan but mainly find plans for B.A. in Psych at Thomas Edison, so if I’m missing it I’m sorry to make anyone repeat themselves. Also, I do have 24 transfer credits in Comp, Math, Hist, Psych, Public Speaking...would it still be best to take the CLEP to earn full credit needed for General Ed requirements or to take the TESU exams for specific subjects? Thank you in advance to any feedback!!
Any reason for picking COSC over TESU? Not that COSC is a bad option, one could probably put together a plan for the COSC psych degree without too much hassle. But the TESU plan is well treaded territory, requires less UL credit, and transfer equivalencies are well known. TESU used to be the cheaper option, but lately it appears they’ve evened out price wise.

COSC might very well be the better option for you for whatever reason, but in general mapping out TESU plans is easier (for now; things change rapidly).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

(10-17-2018, 09:12 PM)jsd Wrote: Any reason for picking COSC over TESU? Not that COSC is a bad option, one could probably put together a plan for the COSC psych degree without too much hassle. But the TESU plan is well treaded territory, requires less UL credit, and transfer equivalencies are well known. TESU used to be the cheaper option, but lately it appears they’ve evened out price wise.

COSC might very well be the better option for you for whatever reason, but in general mapping out TESU plans is easier (for now; things change rapidly).

One of the main reasons I was looking at COSC was for the B.S over the B.A., as well as I had read a couple different places that others had trouble with transferring different credits and they had updated policies and stopped accepting FEMA, I think is what it was? And that it was the method used for elective credits (and I may be completely wrong please correct me if so). Honestly however I would be more than happy with a B.A in Psych from TESU if I could test out because the B.S vs. the B.A isn’t that important the main goal for me is to earn my degree quickly and cheaper is always great.
BS vs BA is essentially meaningless in for Psych. That should not be a deciding factor for you. Graduate programs in Psych might require specific undergrad courses in your pysch program, but I've never seen one that requires BS over BA and I would be shocked if you tracked one down that did.

FEMA is another story, as TESU stopped accepting those years ago. COSC is the only one of the Big 3 that still easily/cheaply accepts FEMA, and if you've completed a bunch of FEMA already then or really have your heart set taking them soon to utilize them in free electives, then COSC could definitely be the better option. I'm not sure how many free electives COSC allows for, but if it's a lot them FEMA could save a good chunk of money for you.

As far as transferring trouble, TESU has been pretty straight forward and even with some recent changes it's still been incredibly easy to see how things fit. COSC's degree maps are a lot less clear cut, but it's definitely still doable to put in some effort to figure it all out (and probably apply to get an initial assessment of your existing credit and likely more help pre-planning the stuff we don't have equivalencies form COSC for yet).

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(10-17-2018, 10:45 PM)jsd Wrote: BS vs BA is essentially meaningless in for Psych. That should not be a deciding factor for you. Graduate programs in Psych might require specific undergrad courses in your pysch program, but I've never seen one that requires BS over BA and I would be shocked if you tracked one down that did.

FEMA is another story, as TESU stopped accepting those years ago. COSC is the only one of the Big 3 that still easily/cheaply accepts FEMA, and if you've completed a bunch of FEMA already then or really have your heart set taking them soon to utilize them in free electives, then COSC could definitely be the better option. I'm not sure how many free electives COSC allows for, but if it's a lot them FEMA could save a good chunk of money for you.

As far as transferring trouble, TESU has been pretty straight forward and even with some recent changes it's still been incredibly easy to see how things fit. COSC's degree maps are a lot less clear cut, but it's definitely still doable to put in some effort to figure it all out (and probably apply to get an initial assessment of your existing credit and likely more help pre-planning the stuff we don't have equivalencies form COSC for yet).

Thank you so much, I think I’ll just try to find a TESU psych degree plan since there are clear cut tried and tested plans for that. Either way it’s all much cheaper than a traditional route for the degree would be so the possible cost difference doesn’t matter for me. I just want to get it done.
Here's one for TESU (note this is just the area of study, not the General Ed or Free Elective requirements):

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JS...1st,_2015)

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Thank you! You’ve been very helpful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Summer.Rankin's post:
  • jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 576 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 620 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 239 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 366 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,087 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 217 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 562 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 545 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 280 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 476 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy