Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New International User Seeking Help with Plan for Bachelors Degree
I concur that you should be able to transfer credits from UNISA. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to a definitive answer without going through the process of having a transcript evaluated.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thank you again for all the replies, advice and viewpoints. All taken in good spirit. To be honest, I love my country and think we have the best climate in the world, but I need an education and many people are leaving my country to study abroad because the local universities are no longer recognized. Occupational therapy and physiotherapy are definitely no longer recognized internationally. Hence, I would prefer obtaining my degree from a developed country, just to be sure, and if I can't find a job here, then I have the qualifications necessary to relocate.

Davewill, please explain what you mean by "having a transcript evaluated." How is it done and what is the process? Could you please shed some light?

What bothers me also about studying at UNISA or any of the universities here is that it will take me 3 years to earn my degree and an additional year for an honors degree, which is supposedly equal to a 4-year degree in developed countries. For this reason, I would really like to test out to earn my degree fast and effectively. This is after all the reason I created this thread.

Hence, if nobody can come up with a plan for me to earn an online physics degree, then I'll be forced to take the BA Mathematics or something similar as mentioned by some of you earlier. This was truly useful advice.

Where will I be able to purchase textbooks fairly cheap? This is another concern of mine as I see on both TESU and Excelsior's websites that the textbooks are pricey. Will I be able to purchase all the necessary textbooks or study material and earn my degree under $10 000?

Please help me with a plan to earn my degree as fast as possible. I have to say I am really intrigued by the proctor-method of testing TESU uses. This is so cool! I truly think earning a degree in 1 or 2 years will prove to employers how valuable and motivated I am.
(09-13-2017, 02:18 AM)GlobalStudent Wrote: Thank you again for all the replies, advice and viewpoints. All taken in good spirit. To be honest, I love my country and think we have the best climate in the world, but I need an education and many people are leaving my country to study abroad because the local universities are no longer recognized. Occupational therapy and physiotherapy are definitely no longer recognized internationally. Hence, I would prefer obtaining my degree from a developed country, just to be sure, and if I can't find a job here, then I have the qualifications necessary to relocate.

Davewill, please explain what you mean by "having a transcript evaluated." How is it done and what is the process? Could you please shed some light?

What bothers me also about studying at UNISA or any of the universities here is that it will take me 3 years to earn my degree and an additional year for an honors degree, which is supposedly equal to a 4-year degree in developed countries. For this reason, I would really like to test out to earn my degree fast and effectively. This is after all the reason I created this thread.

Hence, if nobody can come up with a plan for me to earn an online physics degree, then I'll be forced to take the BA Mathematics or something similar as mentioned by some of you earlier. This was truly useful advice.

Where will I be able to purchase textbooks fairly cheap? This is another concern of mine as I see on both TESU and Excelsior's websites that the textbooks are pricey. Will I be able to purchase all the necessary textbooks or study material and earn my degree under $10 000?

Please help me with a plan to earn my degree as fast as possible. I have to say I am really intrigued by the proctor-method of testing TESU uses. This is so cool! I truly think earning a degree in 1 or 2 years will prove to employers how valuable and motivated I am.

I haven't come across any online, undergraduate physics programs. Charter Oak State College has the closest thing. They offer a BS in General Studies with a concentration in Physics. COSC's concentrations are pretty much the equivalent of majors. The problem is that COSC doesn't offer the physics courses. You would need to find them online somewhere else. Since there aren't any other physics degrees that can be found online, I doubt you would find enough physics courses to finish your degree. They'll award 24 credits for the Physics GRE Subject Test (if you can take that where you're at), but that's not enough to complete the program. 

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...hysics.cfm

Some of these courses might help you finish a degree at COSC if you decide to apply there. 

http://www.mtu.edu/physics/online/schedule/
https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...ementstext
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
When you apply to a US college as an international student and have credit from non US colleges you want to transfer, you send the transcripts to an agency that evaluates your transcript and recommends what credit a US college should grant. Details are listed at the link below:

https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...tional.cfm

In your case, if you can find your science courses affordably and local, you can then transfer them to COSC, or wherever you decide to earn your degree, or you can send it along with your master's application if you don't use them for your undergrad degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thank you so much, Davewill and Sanantone. You have supplied me with utterly useful information. I've already started my investigation regarding Charter Oak. The links help a lot!
Just throwing out an alternative, which may or may not be suitable. The UK's Open University allows students from South Africa to enroll. The honours degrees take 3 years full time to complete, and is considered the equivalent to a 4 year USA degree. However you can't speed that up, it's a minimum time to complete. Also your budget would have to stretch considerably, to about £17k. However you can take degrees in physics, or maths and physics along with others and there are no other books/materials required as everything you need is included. Unfortunately no engineering degrees available in SA though.

http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/find/science
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master of Business Administration: ENEB Isabel I 
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University (freebie)
Certificate in Corporate Sustainability: Cornell University (freebie)
Sanantone, I'm considering COSC. I like the General Studies with Physics as concentration. I'm so fed up with the petty problems we have to put up with here in SA now. I've just found out that Universities SA doesn't want to grant me foreign exemption for my GED so that I can study at UNISA or any SA university, because my US university letter of acceptance, I submitted, states that I'm granted admission for undergraduate studies. The letter apparently has to state that I'm granted admission for "degree studies." Applications at universities here close next week Friday and since I didn't here from them, I queried it, although I already applied in July for foreign exemption and it states on their website that exemption is granted within 7 working days.

I'm going to request information from COSC as soon as I've made a proper list regarding testing centers in my area, etc., to apply. If anyone can think of things I need to include in my email, please feel free to share.
Once again, I would like to thank all of you involved in helping me. I truly appreciate your help and would like to one day provide others with the same support. I have decided to study BS in General Studies with concentration in physics at COSC. However, I have no clue where to get a study plan and where to get possibly free or very cheap study material. What is needed to complete the BS General Studies? Could you please provide me with the necessary info as only the info is provided on COSC's website for physics, not for General Studies. I would like to have enough information before I contact admissions at COSC for assistance and before I apply.
(09-23-2017, 03:53 AM)GlobalStudent Wrote: Once again, I would like to thank all of you involved in helping me. I truly appreciate your help and would like to one day provide others with the same support. I have decided to study BS in General Studies with concentration in physics at COSC. However, I have no clue where to get a study plan and where to get possibly free or very cheap study material. What is needed to complete the BS General Studies? Could you please provide me with the necessary info as only the info is provided on COSC's website for physics, not for General Studies. I would like to have enough information before I contact admissions at COSC for assistance and before I apply.

The rest of the credits will be general education (math, science, social science, and humanities) and free electives. I don't know a lot about COSC's degree plans, but I can point you to helpful pages. 

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.cfm
https://www.charteroak.edu/advising/cour...d_code.cfm

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...amlist.pdf
https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...e-college/
http://study.com/directory/school/Charte...ransferTab
At the link below, scroll down to the bottom for equivalencies. 
http://www.davaracademy.com/business.html
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I created a degree plan, although I want to state that I am NOT an expert at COSC requirements - so use this as a first step in putting together a plan of your own.

Attached Files
.xlsx   COSC BA - Physics.xlsx (Size: 13.93 KB / Downloads: 13)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,871 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,356 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,888 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,024 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,337 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,695 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero