Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mexico Junior College feedback
Does anyone have feedback on NMJC classes? I just signed up for an online class, and I'm wondering how it will be.
Hey, just curious... Which course did you sign up for? What type of feedback are you looking at? I only took one course from them, Biology II. They're a good source of inexpensive RA credits though, if you need more, other providers such as TEL Learning would work as well. I would recommend comparison shopping with a few providers and see what community college is best for you that offers the courses you need...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • indigoshuffle
I inquired about a couple of programs there and see what they would accept for transfer credits. This happened right before/during covid. I sent my transcripts and was told they couldn't review them until classes were starting at the school, because people were working from home and didn't have access to what they require to determine my transcripts values. This was back in the March/April time frame. I told them "not to forget about me". Well, now its November and haven't heard a word back from any of the advisors there! I was talking with a couple different ones. They have my stuff and information, I guess they forgot ! Well, I'll be forgetting about trying to go there anymore!
[-] The following 1 user Likes radconjohn's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(11-12-2020, 09:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, just curious... Which course did you sign up for? What type of feedback are you looking at?  I only took one course from them, Biology II.  They're a good source of inexpensive RA credits though, if you need more, other providers such as TEL Learning would work as well.  I would recommend comparison shopping with a few providers and see what community college is best for you that offers the courses you need...

general bio 1 and 2, gen chem 1 and 2. it’s going to be out of nmjc or portage learning. i’m looking into pre-med sciences.
(11-12-2020, 10:52 PM)radconjohn Wrote: I inquired about a couple of programs there and see what they would accept for transfer credits. This happened right before/during covid. I sent my transcripts and was told they couldn't review them until classes were starting at the school, because people were working from home and didn't have access to what they require to determine my transcripts values. This was back in the March/April time frame. I told them "not to forget about me". Well, now its November and haven't heard a word back from any of the advisors there!  I was talking with a couple different ones. They have my stuff and information, I guess they forgot !  Well, I'll be forgetting about trying to go there anymore!

I'm thinking portage learning might be better for me in terms of my work schedule etc. A few of the medical schools I contacted said they take the portage learning credits. Additionally, if I needed a wet lab, I can complete labs via New England University. In other words, I'm thinking of dropping the bio I signed up for. Like you, I contacted a counselor at NMJC twice, I heard back once, and they didn't follow up so I've learned that that's a red flag.
Some updates after speaking to an enrollment counselor at NMJC. I hope this can help someone out.

1. Science courses do not use lab kits, they design the labs so that you use common household items or items you can buy from a dollar store. It was explained to me that this is cheaper, safer, and makes the material more relevant to the students.

2. If you're taking pre-requisites for the purposes of pre-medicine or pre-health, be careful. There are actually 2 forms of biology. They have general biology for non-sciences majors and biology for sciences majors. Obviously, if you're pursuing nursing or medicine, you'll want to stick with the sciences for science majors.

3. The term schedule is chock full o' classes for non-sciences majors, but there's just a sprinkle of classes for sciences majors, which is unfortunate. Next, I'm going to check out portage learning because, at a glance, it appears to be developed for science majors.
(11-14-2020, 08:22 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Some updates after speaking to an enrollment counselor at NMJC. I hope this can help someone out.

1. Science courses do not use lab kits, they design the labs so that you use common household items or items you can buy from a dollar store. It was explained to me that this is cheaper, safer, and makes the material more relevant to the students.

2. If you're taking pre-requisites for the purposes of pre-medicine or pre-health, be careful. There are actually 2 forms of biology. They have general biology for non-sciences majors and biology for sciences majors. Obviously, if you're pursuing nursing or medicine, you'll want to stick with the sciences for science majors.

3. The term schedule is chock full o' classes for non-sciences majors, but there's just a sprinkle of classes for sciences majors, which is unfortunate. Next, I'm going to check out portage learning because, at a glance, it appears to be developed for science majors.

Portage is specifically for people wanting to go the RN route, I've seen it mentioned for that multiple times.  Not saying it can't be used for pre-med, just that I know people who want to go that route are directed to Portage, as they specifically will work at multiple RN schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • indigoshuffle
I've almost completed General Biology II with Lab with them (finals due in early December). I liked it a lot. Grading was quite lenient, exams didn't contain anything not covered in the textbook or lab manual. Due dates are very strict, late assignment submissions aren't accepted under any circumstances. I'm also subscribed to their weekly newsletter, full of board games, costume contests, events, "Sweet Tuesdays" and "Popcorn Thursdays", which I think is adorable Smile
(11-14-2020, 10:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 08:22 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Some updates after speaking to an enrollment counselor at NMJC. I hope this can help someone out.

Portage is specifically for people wanting to go the RN route, I've seen it mentioned for that multiple times.  Not saying it can't be used for pre-med, just that I know people who want to go that route are directed to Portage, as they specifically will work at multiple RN schools.

Yes, it's mainly nursing. However, I emailed the admissions counselor at medical schools I'm interested in, and they said they take portage learning with no problems. It's just that I'd have to do the organic chemistry and physics somewhere else. They do have physics, but without a lab (for now).

I'm looking specifically at UMHS, SABA, and AUC. Ross and SGU are far too expensive, and the class sizes are too large.
Indigoshuffle, how's your math?

Luna, another NM community college, starts enrollment today for the spring semester and they have a Calculus-based Physics with a lab.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which college was recently disavowed? pluggingalong 5 290 04-01-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 321 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 423 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  College Mascots ItsNeverTheLionsYear 17 1,028 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  CPEM: Centro de Posgrados del Estado de México Avidreader 8 708 10-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Nichols College BS in Business Administration karehiro 25 3,399 04-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: JPN
  Snow College accelerated AS - review/help IReallyNeedADegree 43 3,132 03-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  What is the best college/option for me? ZKL111 20 2,187 03-17-2023, 02:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Age 55 and older discounts for online college? pluggingalong 4 832 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  South Texas College gams007 3 1,883 09-29-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77