Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Saylor computer science courses ACE approved
what exact address are you using? sometimes generic advising email can be...iffy
Did anyone hear back on CS301: Software Engineering? Fingers crossed it counts as UL for BACS. Thank you!
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
phone advising just told me cis-351
plaidwandering Wrote:phone advising just told me cis-351

That is the same course number as their own SW Engineering course.

Did you tell them Saylor? Have they made an official determination that this is the course number, or did the person in advising just look up the TESU course number and assume that it would be the same? I really hate to go by telephone advising for this, I would prefer that someone gets it in writing, and has it planned into their degree before we count on this info. Advising is notoriously bad at TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:That is the same course number as their own SW Engineering course.

Did you tell them Saylor? Have they made an official determination that this is the course number, or did the person in advising just look up the TESU course number and assume that it would be the same? I really hate to go by telephone advising for this, I would prefer that someone gets it in writing, and has it planned into their degree before we count on this info. Advising is notoriously bad at TESU.

I asked about it, but haven't heard back yet.
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
I know phone advising is sketchy, I even mentioned that upthread. I was just trying to get some sort of answer since emails aren't flowing.

My specific question was do you have equivalencies for the newly ACE accredited saylor classes from Dec 2016, specifically software engineering. He answered very quickly(not enough time to look it up) that yes they had equivalencies for those. Then he took a moment and said that one in particular would come in as CIS-351 and then after some more time looking stuff up that it would be UL AOS for my BA in natural sciences and mathematics.
plaidwandering Wrote:I know phone advising is sketchy, I even mentioned that upthread. I was just trying to get some sort of answer since emails aren't flowing.

My specific question was do you have equivalencies for the newly ACE accredited saylor classes from Dec 2016, specifically software engineering. He answered very quickly(not enough time to look it up) that yes they had equivalencies for those. Then he took a moment and said that one in particular would come in as CIS-351 and then after some more time looking stuff up that it would be UL AOS for my BA in natural sciences and mathematics.

Perfect, thanks!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Awesome.i swear though it should be MIS cis-301,and strategic information technology should be MISS cis-302.if you read the description at Saylor,MIS is a prerequisite.
I got responses back from advising today:

Dear <redacted>,

We have solved your issue

<redacted>,

The Saylor Academy courses will transfer in as follows:
Software Engineering= CIS-351 Software Engineering
Computer Communications & Networks= CMP-354 Network Technology

Both are approved for your area of study.

Should you have additional questions, please create a new ticket by sending an email to academicadvising@tesu.edu with your degree program in the subject line. Thank you.

Patricia Certo, MBA
Senior Academic Program Advisor
Thomas Edison State University

and from my questioning of the SIT being CIS-301

<redacted>,

Per the American Council on Education and a review done by the Dean's office, the Saylor Academy course, Strategic Information Technology, will transfer over as CIS-301, Management Information Systems. This option will actually duplicate credit you have already earned in the topic via a DSST exam by the same name.

You should not attempt this Saylor Academy course.

Should you have additional questions, please create a new ticket by sending an email to academicadvising@tesu.edu with your degree program in the subject line. Thank you.

Patricia Certo, MBA

I'm considering pushing the issue, as the instructional material, syllabus, and course description all seem to be a higher level of IS information/work than the standard CIS-301 information I needed for the DSST, or the (non-proctored, at least) Saylor course that I took cold and scored 90%. The SIT course I scored a 40 because it asked much more in-depth application types of questions. I also know that there a RAQ colleges with degrees in MIS, and courses using MIS as a prefix, so <i>my</i> interpretation of the ACE recommendation is that it's in the MIS/CIS course of study, not that it's the equivalent of Management Information Systems I. Just not sure how or even if I can challenge an equivalency decision. I don't really want to go emailing the Dean out of the blue or anything.
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
hightecrebel Wrote:I got responses back from advising today:

Dear <redacted>,

We have solved your issue

<redacted>,

The Saylor Academy courses will transfer in as follows:
Software Engineering= CIS-351 Software Engineering
Computer Communications & Networks= CMP-354 Network Technology

Both are approved for your area of study.

Patricia Certo, MBA

I appreciate that this is from Patricia Certo - but I still want to hear it from someone higher up that the Computer Communications & Networks course is CMP-354, because someone else on here was told it was CAP-216, and could not be used in the CIS AOS.

That is certainly a big difference; between CAP and CMP, between UL and LL, and between being able to be used in the CIS AOS and not. Some clarification would be great.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,428 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 761 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 981 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 706 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,226 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 437 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,894 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,041 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,082 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 597 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer