Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers
Ancient Greek Philosophers

Are values relative or absolute? What is truth? The ancient Greek philosophers were among the first to ask fundamental questions about human existence, and this course provides an overview of key figures such as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle and examines their role in shaping history and society. The course will also apply philosophical lenses to analyze some of life’s “big questions “ with new depth and perspective

ACE - 3  Credits - $149 

https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/ancient-greek-philosophers
[-] The following 3 users Like BSLIONS's post:
  • Muldoon, SophiaLearning, Yenisei
cool, i'll check it out
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

after looking it over, i'll definitely take it. might be a month or two though. Good course to get everyone a little closer to that fully online Philosophy BA
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • SophiaLearning
Wonder if it will come in at uppper level.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
(04-22-2018, 10:56 AM)alleycat Wrote: Wonder if it will come in at uppper level.

If it's ACE-recommended as LL, then TESU will most likely bring it in as LL.  They seem to be aligning more closely with ACE these days, and for a new course it's almost a guarantee.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
How are Sophia courses structured? Are they pretty easy to breeze through when you have prior knowledge? Philosophy has been a hobby of mine for a while so I'm hoping this can be a quick source of credits in an area that interests me

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • SophiaLearning
(08-23-2018, 10:48 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: How are Sophia courses structured? Are they pretty easy to breeze through when you have prior knowledge? Philosophy has been a hobby of mine for a while so I'm hoping this can be a quick source of credits in an area that interests me

Yes you can look at the assignment and if you know the answer, just do it. If you don't, you can look at the lecture/study guide. Usually they have 2 options; a video lecture and a written out guide. I can usually just scroll through the written out guide to find the info I need for the assignment. So yes, for subjects you are already knowledgeable on, you can breeze through pretty quickly. Even if you're learning from scratch, it's fairly quick.

After 3 assignments, they give you a test. The test is open book so you can always just reference the study guides if you need. This process usually repeats for a total of 2-3 times.

Try out the 2 free Sophia courses to get a feel for how they're structured.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • mysonx3
(08-23-2018, 10:48 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: How are Sophia courses structured? Are they pretty easy to breeze through when you have prior knowledge? Philosophy has been a hobby of mine for a while so I'm hoping this can be a quick source of credits in an area that interests me

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, with very little previous knowledge of the Greek philosophers. It was a breeze to get through, and that was with me taking notes on everything, as I thought the final test would cover a larger portion of the modules than it actually did. 

A bit of advice: make separate charts that list the different beliefs of Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates. Most of your test questions will center around pinning which philosophy belongs to which philosopher. The differences in their beliefs are sometimes very slight, so having the chart to remind yourself will help avoid confusion. You'll learn about some of the lesser-known philosophers as well, but you won't be asked about them much.
[-] The following 3 users Like katelynn's post:
  • ISKBizz15, Murdockb, NC Coach
I’m doing Art History right now and I love it. So much more easy to make myself do schoolwork when the class is enjoyable. Even tho it’s more expensive I’m going to do as many Sophia courses as I can. I hope they keep issuing coupons.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Mab81's post:
  • mudball
Just finished this course, and I must say the Sophia format makes it quite easy to take advantage of pre-existing knowledge (which is exactly what I did - I'm a major philosophy dork). Although this obviously won't be the case for people who haven't spent so much time reading about philosophy, but for me this was the easiest three credits I've gotten. Now off to do the two Sophia freebies!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 8 184 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 747 8 hours ago
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 59,971 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,208 Today, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 278 Yesterday, 08:56 AM
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 627 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 887 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 210 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 865 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 327 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle