Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sophia course incoming?
(03-11-2021, 06:34 AM)Kab Wrote: Is really a starter course. Here is a lot of people with experience in IT.
Consider this for new people, not people that has been in CS or computer science for years and want to major now in it.

This would be a very, VERY bad intro to CS for someone who wants to major in it. I think that someone who hasn't had much exposure to CS previously would fail due to how little is actually taught.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
When you are done, there isn't a "get your badge" icon under it and it hasn't shown up on my ACE yet even tho it is listed there for credit. Probably because it is so new but it still is weird to me.
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - May 2025
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

I think it may take a couple of days to "finalize".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • TINASAM
Just finished. I feel like anyone old enough to have created a MySpace page will breeze through it within half an hour.
I just talked with them and the lady on the chat told me that IT team is trying to add the badge today!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanielDaCosta87's post:
  • TINASAM
Calstar Wrote:Just finished. I feel like anyone old enough to have created a MySpace page will breeze through it within half an hour.

<gasp!> I haven't heard MySpace in a long while, they were supposed to be FaceBook's biggest competition and don't really know what happened to it. It was like a nostalgic comparison of JIU (closed) to WGU (Jones International University to Western Governors University) or a comparison of Netscape to Internet Explorer or something along those lines...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I feel like this class isn't really designed to be an intro to web development, I think it's more of an intro to the *idea* of web development to build interest in the dev mountain bootcamp program(without anything too challenging to scare people away.)

Either way, I do like that they're expanding in this direction and hopefully they continue to expand their IT courses beyond this.

With that said, I feel like they could have at least made it a 4 module course: CSS, HTML, JS, and the other miscellaneous topics that were sprinkled in, with a basic touchstone or 2 to apply the knowledge.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az
This was the worst Sophia course I've ever taken.

It was sort of easy for me but I found it frustrating at the same time. I don't know a lot about web development but consider myself tech-savvy and I had at least heard of almost everything mentioned (HTML, CSS, etc.) before I took this course. I did learn a little bit, but I also didn't feel like reading every single word and absorbing every detail. The sections didn't seem intuitive or user-friendly like other sophia courses that promote curiosity and learning. It took me a little over an hour to do the course from start to finish. But I didn't do it all at once, I did 30 minutes of work then stopped and then a few hours later I spent about 40 minutes finishing the course.

I feel like someone who knows absolutely nothing about web development, this course would be quite challenging and confusing. Whereas Intro to IT you could know nothing prior to course and handle it. And there's the fact that even a few wrong questions could make so you don't pass the milestone or even the whole course. With 20 questions, 2 wrong is no big deal, but when there are only 5 missing 2 means you fail the milestone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • rachel83az
This is kind of like an intro to coding course.

Probably be a better course if they just stuck to html/css.  We also need a pure Javascript course.

Easy 3 credits if your college accepts it.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I can't send it into UMPI to get evaluated (I got permission to add another course as an "Elective" that I don't need just to have it count for the "future" in grad schools or other things that may need a transcript.

it's not on acclaim yet so I can't send it yet

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 431 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 891 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 62,143 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 116 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 504 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,439 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 744 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,001 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 260 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 994 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab